Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast
    Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dvgravity View Post
    Adult Bobby still dates women, so just because his younger self now in the future is gay doesn't make the adult version gay.
    Repressed gay people date women, it's kinda part of being repressed.

Both versions are gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    I think he was outed before that by his sister (Aurora) in the original run of Alpha Flight within the first 12 issues, where she mentions he has always preferred the company of men.
    That "old friend' of his that Deadly Earnest kills (AF 7&8) was screamimgly obvious.

Peace

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

There must've been a lotta crappy retcons over the years if this topic could go 11 pages without (as far as I could tell) mentioning...

The "Truth" About Penance!

That's just one tiny bit of it, but Larry Hama basically screwed up the entire St. Croix family in one go and tried his darndest to retcon Penance as an actual mutant being (which has thankfully been ignored super-hard by every writer of Penance/Hollow since). It just screwed with so much Generation X history for Monet and Penance.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    There must've been a lotta crappy retcons over the years if this topic could go 11 pages without (as far as I could tell) mentioning...
    The "Truth" About Penance!
    That's just one tiny bit of it, but Larry Hama basically screwed up the entire St. Croix family in one go and tried his darndest to retcon Penance as an actual mutant being (which has thankfully been ignored super-hard by every writer of Penance/Hollow since). It just screwed with so much Generation X history for Monet and Penance.
    Is that a retcon or just horrible story telling? Because it never (I don't remember so I could be wrong) revealed the "truth" about Penance before this, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    That "old friend' of his that Deadly Earnest kills (AF 7&8) was screamimgly obvious.
    Peace
    Yes. Another clue. They were everywhere in the original run during Bryne's time.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Penance, I just ignore that story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Are you very sure about that?
    Because being gay in 2002 America or 2015 America, that seems like a collosal difference to me.
    I'm totally certain, but I will admit that my experience in my neck of the woods (or necks, since I have lived in many different cities and neighborhoods) has no bearing on the life of anyone else.

Since reality is somewhat 'fluid' in these universes we visit, I have personally retconned a few stories out of existence in my own personal view of any fictional universe. Gwen Stacy never slept with Osborne, there are no super-aged kids. New52 Batman has operated, as have all the characters, for 9-10 years, at least. I've retconned the Hal Jordan Spectre completely away, and Constantine's introduction during Moore's Swamp Thing still stands, unchanged (though I suppose that's true in-continuity, given Convergence).
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    The Magneto-as-Xorn-was-really-Xorn-here's-his-cousin-lulz thing.
    Yeah, this. No doubt. A Shockingly bad idea executed horribly.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Ms. Marvel #9, when it's revealed that all the incredible shapeshifting that Kamala had been doing up to then was apparently not supposed to be part of her powers. It was a result of her having too much energy in her body when she Terrigenesized, and her healing factor had been burning off the excess. So now all she can do is stretch her limbs.

Maybe I was reading too deep into it, but seeing as how Kamala has since done nothing more advanced than a Hulk Hand-punch when before she was turning into things like mannequins and sofas, it feels like someone in Marvel just doesn't like superheroic shapeshifters
    Last edited by Myetche; 09-19-2015 at 10:56 AM.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Original Sin, One more day, Avengers Disassembled, Guardians Original Sin and One moment in time
    Last edited by mysterio1989; 09-19-2015 at 11:32 AM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dvgravity View Post
    The worse retain I can think of, which I don't know if it will even count (hoping not) is what Remender did in volume 2 of Uncanny Avengers making Wanda and Pietro not be the children of Magneto. If it holds true post Secret Wars then in my opinion it destroys the whole relationship between them. I'm hoping Marvel forgets it and never lets Remender write anything for them again.
    And you think it was Remender's idea, not Marvel being petty due to movie rights? Oh, my sweet summer child...

BANNED

Avengers: Disassembled, leading into House of M, was some of the worst "pulled-out-of-my-arse" retcon "story-telling" bullshit I've had to endure as a comics fan. Blatantly ignoring aspects about a character just to fit your "new narrative" is not craftsmanship.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    Is that a retcon or just horrible story telling? Because it never (I don't remember so I could be wrong) revealed the "truth" about Penance before this, correct?
    Well... They never had a specific story that spelled everything out, but the previews stated Penance was a 14-year-old Yugoslavian girl, the narration around her was all meant to imply she's deaf, then Emplate called her Yvette, and Monet St. Croix was really just twin eight-year-old girls combined to form a 16-year-old girl.

When the retcon(s) came down, Yvette became one of Monet's middle names, there was a "real" Monet trapped inside Penance, who was born in Bosnia (hence the Eastern European origin), and Penance really wasn't deaf merely silent. She was suddenly some sort of magical construct made to punish Monet for rejecting Emplate's offer to rule by his side, instead of the completely separate mutant taken captive by Emplate years before the events of "Generation X."

I feel like a lot of things were retconned off their original paths in one fell swoop. Including the idea behind the name "Penance" -- whereas previously, it was a word uttered by Gateway to explain that rescuing the girl was his "penance" for his part in the slaughter of Emma's previous students, it was now supposed to be something that Emplate said as he was trapping Monet in the form of Penance. Technically, it's both, but the whole Larry Hama thing is so awful in the way it tried to create a new origin for the name. Not that it matters now, because some later writer decided he wanted to use it for Bleedball.

Sorry for bitter fan rantings. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Penance, I just ignore that story.
    As should everyone else... it's just the worst, in my admittedly biased opinion. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    And you think it was Remender's idea, not Marvel being petty due to movie rights? Oh, my sweet summer child...
    It was definitely some editorially-mandated bullsh*t, lol. As much as I love to blame Remender for every awful thing he writes, I've got to think this -- or some version of this -- would've happened no matter who was chosen to write the story.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

All-New Member

Part of this post was deleted by someone else, so I'm gonna go ahead and delete the rest.

How dare I have opinions of my own. For shame me, for shame.
    Last edited by Coppertheft; 09-19-2015 at 08:30 PM. Reason: stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Repressed gay people date women, it's kinda part of being repressed.

Both versions are gay.
    Nope neither are gay

Incredible Member

I get a kick out of how people argue that Iceman has always been a repressed gay male. He was clearly straight up until Bendis wrote that story. But hey it is comics and they can change things however they want. If they really wanted to do something like say, make Hulk and Wolverine a married couple they could do it. It is pretty funny to me anyways, when people throw a hissy fit over the sexuality of their funnybook characters.