Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    All humans, though?
    And that exactly.

BANNED

All humans, though?
    "all men " it sounds exactly like that and its beyond anoying, yes obviously not all humans in the marvel universe's existence, but a large enough percentage are terrible to mutants to make a generalization, and the rest are apathic at best.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    And it's hardly gonna happen if one side continues to feel like they have no reason to engage.
    its not the minorities fault or responsibility to bend over backwards to apeal to their opressors, they feel that way because there is literaly no point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    its not the minorities fault or responsibility to bend over backwards to apeal to their opressors.
    No, you're right; but when insults come undue at people who haven't done anything then, yeah, they're gonna be met in kind.

Except yes they are. Emma even says as much; she isn't telling them about the wonders of the medicine and what good it does for people, she's telling the kids "This is leverage, this is power." The kid's using "Flatscan" in a disparaging manner--it's got nothing but negative connotations. Regardless of the systematic meanings, it's an intentionally shitty thing to do.
    Because it’s the only thing keeping Krakoa from being bombed to dust. Of course Emma isn’t rapping how wonderful this is for humans instead of stressing the necessity that these medicines exist because it’s the primary reason they get to enjoy not being tortured and murdered but the very same flatscans they’re referring to as flatscans. You keep trying to remove the importance of systematic discrimination and history attached to one slur (mutie, for example) in favor of a word used to punch up (flatscan).

BANNED

No, you're right; but when insults come undue at people who haven't done anything then, yeah, they're gonna be met in kind.
    thats lovely, just words until there is any power dynamic that makes mutants the opressors, but it tellingg how you lot jumped immediatly at that comparison when you are obviously unimformed about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    What am I simplifying? The kids aren’t treating themselves and lesser or bigger than humans, but using a hurtful label of a group more privileged than you.
    The insult cant be compared to the N-Word but the insult itself is degrade people with no powers, you cant take the meaning of the insult.

Flatscan is a way of saying "lesser"

BANNED

its not the minorities fault or responsibility to bend over backwards to apeal to their opressors, they feel that way because there is literaly no point.
    And if that's true, then it's wrong. It's a generalisation; there are people out there who will want to continue to help and support, but meeting them with that kind of apathy isn't helpful. It's just gonna further fuel that attitude, in fact.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post
    The insult cant be compared to the N-Word but the insult itself is degrade people with no powers, you cant take the meaning of the insult.

Flatscan is a way of saying "lesser"
    That Exactly.

BANNED

That Exactly.
    the people with no powers or lesser arent hunted by all sorts of macabre atrocities and machines or registred as such no matter what mutantion, so its just a mean word.
    missing the point EXACTLY that you focus on the word than the reasons mutants have to defend themselves so fiercly

Extraordinary Member

And if that's true, then it's wrong. It's a generalisation; there are people out there who will want to continue to help and support, but meeting them with that kind of apathy isn't helpful. It's just gonna further fuel that attitude, in fact.
    And isn't that entire attitude just...not good?

I'm white, so I really don't know how it feels to be a person of color who is faced with profound discrimination on a regular basis. And my comparing flatscan to the n-word was taking it a little far, but at the same time...

I'm a woman and how would you feel if I said that all men were awful, disgusting pigs who need to be treated with caution and general disdain?

BANNED

thats lovely, just words until there is any power dynamic that makes mutants the opressors, but it tellingg how you lot jumped immediatly at that comparison when you are obviously unimformed about it.
    Or, or. We're just calling out a shitty attitude?

I'm disabled mate; I've been privy to my own share of people calling me "retard" and worse in the most casual way. They said they meant well but I still said "**** you" because, yeah, it was shitty of them to do. They weren't just insulting me, they were insulting an entire group. The usage of the word carried negative connotations; it was always meant as an insult even as a joke. It was wrong just like this is.

Except yes they are. Emma even says as much; she isn't telling them about the wonders of the medicine and what good it does for people, she's telling the kids "This is leverage, this is power." The kid's using "Flatscan" in a disparaging manner--it's got nothing but negative connotations. Regardless of the systematic meanings, it's an intentionally shitty thing to do.

More than that: it's an attitude that continues to foster division amongst people. It isn't helpful and it isn't gonna be met as anything but negative.
    krakoa era is full of things like this happening. it's a shame

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    krakoa era is full of things like this happening. it's a shame
    And again, it would be easier to sympathize with if it wasn't gor the fact that the mutants know where this attitude leads, they just don't care.

BANNED

And isn't that entire attitude just...not good?

I'm white, so I really don't know how it feels to be a person of color who is faced with profound discrimination on a regular basis. And my comparing flatscan to the n-word was taking it a little far, but at the same time...

I'm a woman and how would you feel if I said that all men were awful, disgusting pigs who need to be treated with caution and general disdain?
    not part of the problem, not part of the generalization born off a constant treatment that many women that do such comments face, but treatment i will never endure as. a man myself, but since i have the emotional maturity and compassion of a well adjusted person, I wont get offended or hurt since Its not really about me.
    simple