Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Omega Men and Section Eight

As everyone knows, DC is launching lots of new comics in June. I'm most likely buying all of them except Power Girl/Harley Quinn. But the two titles that stuck out the most were Section Eight and Omega Men, because I've never heard of them. Even though, they are old concepts. So my question to you is: How would you sell someone on these two books?

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I dont know anything about Section 8 myself, but I have to say I am quite excited about Omega Men. In it's original incarnation it was somewhere between Star Wars and I'm not even sure what else. If done correctly, Omega Men can be a big sci-fi epic action movie filled with clones, runaway princes or princesses, crazy aliens...the list can really go on. It looks like they might be going with a group led by Tigorr, which is cool by me as well.
    Did we get a creative team for this book yet? I can't seem to recall.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I dont know anything about Section 8 myself, but I have to say I am quite excited about Omega Men. In it's original incarnation it was somewhere between Star Wars and I'm not even sure what else. If done correctly, Omega Men can be a big sci-fi epic action movie filled with clones, runaway princes or princesses, crazy aliens...the list can really go on. It looks like they might be going with a group led by Tigorr, which is cool by me as well.
    Did we get a creative team for this book yet? I can't seem to recall.

I've heard people compare Omega Men to Guardians of the Galaxy. For someone who is not a fan of GOTG, (I know..shocker) i am not really tempted to pick it up. And the thing about Section Eight is that it's a spinoff from the Hitman title. (i love Ennis to death, but i haven't read it before)

To answer your question. Tom King and Alec Morgan is the creative team for Omega Men.

Dc has been trying a space team every now and then : Rebels of Vril Dox, Threshold, and now Omega Men.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/125723...2/16043732964/
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 02-27-2015 at 03:03 PM.

Omega Men, as least from my reading perspective, typically pokes fun at the current tropes that occur in comics, but with interesting plots and fun, chaotic characters. It's a bit like Guardians of the Galaxy as mentioned above but with a little more Howard the Duck and Punisher thrown in. It's a pretty good read, but I'm not sure how it's going to be handled, but looking at the team. I don't think I need to worry.

I'm really hoping Omega Men delivers. I usually just follow the GL family for my sci-fi fix and that has not been doing it for me lately (though I think it may improve with the shrinking of the titles). May can't seem to arrive fast enough.

Omega Men: If you like The Guardians of the Galaxy we are DC's version.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Mighty Member

The Section Eight team is from Garth Ennis's Hitman series, which was fantastic. I'm not sure how to sell somebody on the book, but if the premise and a description of a couple team members doesn't pique your interest I don't think a summary will.

Iirc the team was born when Ennis was challenged to come up with the most absurd super team he could think of, and a couple of the members include Dogwelder, who welds dogs to his enemies, the Defenestrator, a Terminator spoof who carries around a window frame for the sole purpose of throwing people through it, and Bueno Excellente, who... fights evil with the "power of perversion."

This is what the mini is about:
    Section 8, the insane superhero team from Hitman who are getting their own title, will hit up Superman, Batman and all the iconic DC characters to be their eighth member. Who will say yes? Hint, probably not Kyle Rayner.
    Hitman was a great series, one of the best runs DC's ever put out IMO.

Section 8 sounds like a spy book.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    The Section Eight team is from Garth Ennis's Hitman series, which was fantastic. I'm not sure how to sell somebody on the book, but if the premise and a description of a couple team members doesn't pique your interest I don't think a summary will.

Iirc the team was born when Ennis was challenged to come up with the most absurd super team he could think of, and a couple of the members include Dogwelder, who welds dogs to his enemies, the Defenestrator, a Terminator spoof who carries around a window frame for the sole purpose of throwing people through it, and Bueno Excellente, who... fights evil with the "power of perversion."

This is what the mini is about:

Hitman was a great series, one of the best runs DC's ever put out IMO.
    Section Eight sounds a little Doom Patrol-ish.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    Section 8 sounds like a spy book.
    It's definitely not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    Section Eight sounds a little Doom Patrol-ish.
    Eh, not really. Doom Patrol is a group of outcasts, Section Eight is a total joke team used to great effect.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    It's definitely not.

Eh, not really. Doom Patrol is a group of outcasts, Section Eight is a total joke team used to great effect.

I mean as far as the weirdness. To me it sounds a little like Morrison's Doom Patrol.

With Saga, Star Wars and Guardians of the Galaxy bringing space-faring sci-fi back into fashion, DC needs something to represent the genre and Omega Men is the best choice to fill the slot.
    Being a previous title printed in the 80s, it has already built a small following.

I hope it does very well.

And having Tom King on it makes me even more interested.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The original and the the last version before the Nu52 kicked in. The problem the Omega Men had was after their series ended the team became cannon fodder for every big cosmic event just like most of the cosmic teams after their series end. I know that there was a version that showed up in the Nu52, but I think everyone is just trying to pretend that never happened.
    Last edited by Zero Hunter; 02-27-2015 at 06:15 PM.

In the deathstroke title, I remember that title had those fake omega men (omegas) and the fake zealot too.
    http://media.insidepulse.com/zones/i...ob-Liefeld.jpg
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 02-27-2015 at 06:28 PM.