Default Wonder Girl #6 Spoilers/Discussion

So I guess I should recap last issue for this issue as that issue leads directly into this one, now I can really only put it like this: Yara pissed Hera off and is now in Tartarus. Short and to the point.

But yeah after deciding not to take Hera on her offer/not really an offer she's in the greek underworld and immediately runs afoul of all sorts of monsters and winds up in a cage next to a boiling river of lava. Later Eros shows up and it gets into a part that confused me but maybe I was not paying attention to the last 5 issues.

Someone tell me, was there an actual romance between Eros and Yara? Because they basically get into a couples argument about Yara not wanting to spend eternity to him and Yara admitting she loved him. This is odd to me because I thought Yara was romancing that Brazilian bus driver named Joao, I know there were love arrows involved but the argument was weird to me on both sides. Especially since later Eros tries to convince Hera to forgive Yara which Hera is not having...nor does she want Zeus to know for some reason.

Anyway luckily Yara is a fighter because she then busts out of the jail cell and kills the attack on titan style monster and is reunited with a still very much alive Jerry the Pegasus (hooray!). That's right its a god of war style prison break out of hell for Yara. But its not just Yara because the Brazilian branch of the Amazons with Cassie Sandsmark and Donna Troy are storming the Gates of Olympus to stop Hera from using Yara against them.

Of course just as Yara gets to the gate guess who shows up but the armored Olmypic soldiers who murdered her mother in flashbacks....man Hera can be really vindictive when she wants to be am I right.

Anyway yeah this continues to be a fun run so far as Yara continues on her growing adventures.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    So I guess I should recap last issue for this issue as that issue leads directly into this one, now I can really only put it like this: Yara pissed Hera off and is now in Tartarus. Short and to the point.

But yeah after deciding not to take Hera on her offer/not really an offer she's in the greek underworld and immediately runs afoul of all sorts of monsters and winds up in a cage next to a boiling river of lava. Later Eros shows up and it gets into a part that confused me but maybe I was not paying attention to the last 5 issues.

Someone tell me, was there an actual romance between Eros and Yara? Because they basically get into a couples argument about Yara not wanting to spend eternity to him and Yara admitting she loved him. This is odd to me because I thought Yara was romancing that Brazilian bus driver named Joao, I know there were love arrows involved but the argument was weird to me on both sides. Especially since later Eros tries to convince Hera to forgive Yara which Hera is not having...nor does she want Zeus to know for some reason.

Anyway luckily Yara is a fighter because she then busts out of the jail cell and kills the attack on titan style monster and is reunited with a still very much alive Jerry the Pegasus (hooray!). That's right its a god of war style prison break out of hell for Yara. But its not just Yara because the Brazilian branch of the Amazons with Cassie Sandsmark and Donna Troy are storming the Gates of Olympus to stop Hera from using Yara against them.

Of course just as Yara gets to the gate guess who shows up but the armored Olmypic soldiers who murdered her mother in flashbacks....man Hera can be really vindictive when she wants to be am I right.

Anyway yeah this continues to be a fun run so far as Yara continues on her growing adventures.

Yeah the argument between Yara and Eros was interesting...I think Eros manipulated Yara into falling for him using his powers and the love arrows, probably as a way of accomplishing Hera's wishes. Yara being under the thrall of Eros' power would be easily influenced to join Hera and the Olympians in whatever the hell it is they have planned...except it didn't work. Yara pushes back and I think any "love" she has with Eros comes from his creepy/manipulative powers. Which is like, the opposite of consent, so I'm glad Jones had her push back.

I'm glad Jerry isn't dead and it's interesting the bolas have now shown water and electricity magic/powers. So elemental bolas! Cool. Yara took quite the beating too, but I'm glad she fought her way out of Tartarus of her own accord.

It was cool to see all 3 Wonder girls in a Wonder girl book though!

So finally caught up... first few issues were extremely fast-paced but I had fun. More excited to see where it goes after this arc ends.

Yara's personality really shined this issue most I've enjoyed her so far. Curious to see how her dynamic with Donna and Cassie grows, along with more insight to her tribe.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

This was a confusing issue and as if we missed an issue in between.

Yara's personality was fun and great, I enjoy her. So now not only do She and Cassie share a codename...they also share being demi-goddesses and lightning lassos/Boleadoras. Wasnt sure where all of the Eros/Yara drama came from, especially since he didnt seem like he was trying to manipulate her.

The ending with Yaras tribe/Cassie/Donna ascending upon Olympus was....weird? How did they just get to the gates of Olympus? Why are Donna/Cassie just fine with it? These are their Gods/family.

The whole Hera taking a champion thing is actually a really good storyline that would be a great starting point for someone in the Wonder family and something I wish had been followed through. Doing her bidding for awhile before realizing the manipulation and rebelling against her has a lot of story potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    This was a confusing issue and as if we missed an issue in between.

Yara's personality was fun and great, I enjoy her. So now not only do She and Cassie share a codename...they also share being demi-goddesses and lightning lassos/Boleadoras. Wasnt sure where all of the Eros/Yara drama came from, especially since he didnt seem like he was trying to manipulate her.
    Cassie was better off as a normal girl that wanted to be like Wonder Woman and had magic artifacts to give her powers.

Yeah this issue doesn't really count for much. The art is still great though and I still love the characterizations. I thought Hephaustus's soldiers were automatons in the last issue. Who are those soldiers at the end of this issue?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Cassie was better off as a normal girl that wanted to be like Wonder Woman and had magic artifacts to give her powers.

Yeah this issue doesn't really count for much. The art is still great though and I still love the characterizations. I thought Hephaustus's soldiers were automatons in the last issue. Who are those soldiers at the end of this issue?
    The same three we saw attack the Esquecida and kill Yara's mother in issue 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    The same three we saw attack the Esquecida and kill Yara's mother in issue 1.
    What I meant is, who are they, why sare they being portrayed as particularly threatening.

I didn't recognize the multi limbed woman or that large guy in tartatus. im guessing their not Greek folklore but im unsure

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    What I meant is, who are they, why sare they being portrayed as particularly threatening.
    I wouldn't say that they are portrayed as threatening, its just that Yara probably remembers them.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

The art is great, I don't mind Joelle just writing if it makes everything easier.

I like where everything's going.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Has anyone heard if the book is going on hiatus until after Trial of the Amazons, or is it cancelled?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilverScarlet View Post
    Has anyone heard if the book is going on hiatus until after Trial of the Amazons, or is it cancelled?
    They havent announced anything so either it'll reboot with a new #1 or just continue on normally.

one way or another i figure we will find out next month when promotions for april come out