Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I'm not actually seeing the same joke fest anywhere.
    How can you tell? Though a lot the movies have one thing in common they don't try to take themselves seriously enough especially during moments that climatic i.e. Doctor Strange donning his Cloak of Leviation. It could be sign of lack of confidence in the writing abilities.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    How can you tell? Though a lot the movies have one thing in common they don't try to take themselves seriously enough especially during moments that climatic i.e. Doctor Strange donning his Cloak of Leviation. It could be sign of lack of confidence in the writing abilities.
    Comedy is harder to write than drama.

Comedy is harder to write than drama.
    Huh really? Because according to one guy online who runs a YouTube channel dedicated to giving writing tips some try to cover their lack of confidence to take themselves seriously by putting lots of jokes. I can see why one would because situations in superhero comics are so improbable one can doubt that anyone would take them seriously.

BANNED

Huh really? Because according to one guy online who runs a YouTube channel dedicated to giving writing tips some try to cover their lack of confidence to take themselves seriously by putting lots of jokes. I can see why one would because situations in superhero comics are so improbable one can doubt that anyone would take them seriously.
    One guy who runs a youtube channel? Really?

One guy who runs a youtube channel? Really?
    I learn from wherever I can find alright? Even my brother learns cooking techniques online. And do think he might have a point because the later Marvel movies do rely a little too much on bathos.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 02-13-2018 at 01:03 PM.

But the Thor of the movies was always a different person than the one in the comics. The comic version is dead serious never cracking a joke. It works for me, both versions.

Invincible Member

Stan Lee's comics were full of jokes aimed at the genre. Sometimes the characters themselves couldn't take each other seriously.
    Last edited by ed2962; 02-13-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Stan Lee's comics were full of jokes aimed at the genre. Sometimes the characters themselves couldn't take each other seriously.
    Yeah, the first panel of the first Spider-Man story has a line about how insiders refer to superheroes as "long underwear characters."
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    But the Thor of the movies was always a different person than the one in the comics. The comic version is dead serious never cracking a joke. It works for me, both versions.
    The common complaint about Thor Ragnarok is that it was little too lighthearted for a a movie with such a title they could have scaled back a little on the jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    You could be right though some thought Civil War's tone was little too uneven for it's title one minute serious next minute jokey especially at the airport fight. Some put it down to both sides not wanting to fight each other and try to hold back their hostile feelings with jokes and I suspect it also has something to do with marketing it for the general audience but when you're going to wage war wage it. Don't hold back.

BANNED

You could be right though some thought Civil War's tone was little too uneven for it's title one minute serious next minute jokey especially at the airport fight. Some put it down to both sides not wanting to fight each other and try to hold back their hostile feelings with jokes and I suspect it also has something to do with marketing it for the general audience but when you're going to wage war wage it. Don't hold back.
    People really shouldn't take that Civil War title so serious. Nothing in the story even vaguely resembles a civil war. It's more an uncivil disagreement among a handful of people.

People really shouldn't take that Civil War title so serious. Nothing in the story even vaguely resembles a civil war. It's more an uncivil disagreement among a handful of people.
    Yeah but if your superheroes are going beat each other up over something world changing you might as well at least try go all out at least. The only casualty of that fight was War Machine. So yeah they should have titled it Uncivil Disagreement hahaha! But that doesn't sell movies in Age of Ultron was more like the Day and a Half of Ultron. Should have called it Rise of Ultron.

BANNED

Yeah but if your superheroes are going beat each other up over something world changing you might as well at least try go all out at least. The only casualty of that fight was War Machine. So yeah they should have titled it Uncivil Disagreement hahaha! But that doesn't sell movies in Age of Ultron was more like the Day and a Half of Ultron. Should have called it Rise of Ultron.
    Why would they go all out? Nobody there had the desire to seriously harm anybody. War Machine was an accident.

Why would they go all out? Nobody there had the desire to seriously harm anybody. War Machine was an accident.
    True but if you want it to be Civil War make it epic that's all I'm saying otherwise don't do it at all. Honestly there were other ways to avoid the fight though.

Invincible Member

They were actually still friends even at that point. They didn't want to hurt each other. And keep in mind it's fight between people in tights and half of them have names like Spider Man and Iron Man.