Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Wait, when did Bendis do this?

If it's in the recent Avengers comics, that's Aaron and not Bendis.

Bendis doesn't work at Marvel any more.
    The OP is probably referring to the part of Bendis's last Invincible Iron Man run that introduced the highly despised middle-aged rocker star mom Amanda Armstrong. When she was younger she was recruited by SHIELD but IIRC she retired. Not only did Bendis change the mom, he changed the dad to a Hydra double agent that infiltrated SHIELD who had an affair with Amanda. They had a baby and he was adopted by the Starks and named Tony. Yeah, I think this whole retcon should be tossed out but not for the reasons in the OP. It's just completely stupid and unnecessary.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-20-2020 at 04:41 PM.

iMan 42s

The retcon suffers considerably because the story just isn't good.

Keep in mind that Bendis was leaving for DC roughly at about this time (I think he was briefly sick during this wasn't he?) and so he needs to wrap things up fast. Bendis needs to not only be invested in a project but he needs lead time because even he knows when there is a bad idea. He either didn't have enough time or in the process just had a case of the "**** its" and cranked stuff out until he was gone. Worth mentioning that Civil War 2 and International Iron man ran roughly at about the same time. So Bendis needs to get the adoption plot wrapped up, wants to push his pet character, get ready to go to DC, and somehow stick the landing (he didn't).

It's rushing through what should be longer and involved plots and a later writer doubling down on it.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Stark View Post
    And clearly, you don't know that Snap Wilson was not a racist retcon, but a racist origin that was eventually retconed.
    It was a racist retcon. Turning a black social worker into a racketeer is so obviously a retcon that it's insane to think of it as anything else. One, racketeers can't become social workers. It would take an act of God or some really clever and convoluted politicking in order to make it no sense.

But, as is typical of men, when a woman complains about something, her arguments are deconstructed and labeled as a result of ignorance about what she is talking about.
    Poisoning the well will do you no good. It means you've run out of ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Quite honestly neither have I. Maria isn't used exclusively by Latinas. I've seen it for other nationalities. If you want to get technical, Maria is the female equivalent for the Roman name Marius. So you will see it used for Italian women, Greek women, Polish women, etc.

Not to mention, most usages of the name refers to the Maria, the Greek form of the name of the Virgin Mary.
    Last edited by U.N. Owen; 07-20-2020 at 02:35 PM.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

When was Tony ever not completely white?

Extraordinary Member

Strangely enough, International Iron Man is legit the only Iron Man story I've ever enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I was wondering this, too.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Ultimate Member

And clearly, you don't know that Snap Wilson was not a racist retcon, but a racist origin that was eventually retconed.

Snap Wilson is the exact reverse of the All-White Tony Stark, who, as I have explained in detail, is the replacement of an openly progressive origin, with an offensive racist one.

But, as is typical of men, when a woman complains about something, her arguments are deconstructed and labeled as a result of ignorance about what she is talking about.
    I think you might be getting the canon wrong, actually.

As I understand it, Sam's 'Snap' background was added/revealed some time after his introduction. Ergo, it's not a racist origin, but a (racist) retcon at the time, that's since been done away with.

Any Falcon fans want to jump in?

Ultimate Member

Does booze count as a different color?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Two pages and no one addressed that Maria Stark (maiden name: Carbonell) wasn't even Latina.

Nice work.
    "Cable was right!"

I can't tell if this thread is serious or not
    The J-man

Astonishing Member

In the Ultimate Universe, he was explicitly Latino.

This whole thing reminds me of when folks said Marvel was racist for hiring a white man to play Dr. Strange in the movies, when he was always white. I never understood where that "Stephen is Middle Eastern" nonsense came from.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

what about the xmen in generally?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    "Tony Stark isn't a Stark!"

God, what a dumb retcon...
    Quoted for truth.

It does absolutely nothing for Iron Man as a character. Its just pointless.

Astonishing Member

Snap Wilson is the exact reverse of the All-White Tony Stark, who, as I have explained in detail, is the replacement of an openly progressive origin, with an offensive racist one.

Well I was interested in your very valid comments about stark

But way to generalise about billions of people

Sorry but thats offensive and betrays a prejudice

I feel
    Last edited by kilderkin; 07-20-2020 at 03:48 PM.

It was revealed Tony was adopted in Kieron Gillen's run, not Bendis'.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)