Page 63 of 865 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163563 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Does anyone have the Americqn Flagg! Hardcover? I'm very intrigued by the book but I don't know if the hardcover is the best way to go, any opinions
    I had the 440 pages long version, I picked it up in a UK LCS for fairly cheap.
    I have to say, I'm not a Chaykin fan, I couldn't even finish the book, I was not invested in the story and the characters and Chaykin's art didn't do it for me either. I found it too chaotic, it distracted me from the reading experience.
    The book itself was a bit dissapointing too. The binding was really tight, it seemed like a sewn binding but it was a mousetrap. The paperstock was really strange, it was like xerox paper, but a little bit thicker, I never had a book with similar paperstock and it didn't seem a good choice.
    And it isn't oversized.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    The only thing wrong there is the excess glue at the top. The bottom looks fine and that is how all sewn books should look like.
    Yeah indeed, but the excess glue looks really awfull I think, so I should still try for a replacement, you always miss if you don't shoot
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Spectacular Member

Thanks for the reply re the Crawlspace binding!

BD already replied and they want pictures, not as easy as amazon who just told me they were sending a replacement. Fingers crossed...

EDIT: update on the situation with Book Depository. After sending the photos, they're willing to offer a 20% discount. I find this unacceptable and am pushing for more.
    Did you guys ever deal with BP on such a problem?
    Last edited by Stargasm; 06-09-2014 at 07:42 AM.

Incredible Member

I hate BD. Every book I've bought from them... Every one... Has come in crap condition. Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargasm View Post

BD already replied and they want pictures, not as easy as amazon who just told me they were sending a replacement. Fingers crossed...

EDIT: update on the situation with Book Depository. After sending the photos, they're willing to offer a 20% discount. I find this unacceptable and am pushing for more.
    If the book is functioning as a book should and there is no visible damage, I don't think they would offer anything else. I had a tpb which looked far worse and I only got 5 or10% of it's price back.
    Last edited by Balakin; 06-09-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Amazing Member

Bd generally doesn't offer big refunds. Take the 20%. The problem isn't really that bad anyway, a lot of my sewn books look similar.

Self-Proclaimed Genius clayholio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Does anyone have the Americqn Flagg! Hardcover? I'm very intrigued by the book but I don't know if the hardcover is the best way to go, any opinions
    I've got that one. It was completely worth it for me - Chaykin's AF run is one of the highlights of the '80s. The only thing I'd warn about AF is that these are some dense comics - if you're accustomed to reading current books now that read really, really quickly, AF isn't going to be like that at all. It's the opposite of decompressed storytelling, it's about creating a world that's overwhelming and a little chaotic and completely jam-packed, and it takes time and a little more effort on the part of the reader than most books require, and even than Chaykin's work usually requires.

It's not really any larger (I don't think) than the TPB, so it's more a matter if you want a little nicer edition.
    clayholio

Ink Is My Perfume (art blog) - Clayholio Watches Movies (Movie Reviews)

yesssssssssssss

#836, by the way
    formerly 'weeks'

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    yesssssssssssss

#836, by the way
    Excellent choice! Hope you put some money away though. Started off with that as well. Two weeks later I had the other five.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Excellent choice! Hope you put some money away though. Started off with that as well. Two weeks later I had the other five.
    haha, i'm already planning on ordering two more this week...
    formerly 'weeks'

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    If the book is functioning as a book should and there is no visible damage, I don't think they would offer anything else. I had a tpb which looked far worse and I only got 5 or10% of it's price back.
    After pushing a bit more, she said she was willing to do a full refund if I sent the book back but I had to pay for the delivery and that never gonna happen since the book is pretty heavy. In the end I said I was gonna accept the 20% discount.

Also, I decided to go full surgeon on the book. Once opened you could clearly see that the binding wasn't agreeing with its current state. In the end it's definitely better and like suggested above, there was too much glue at the top of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I had the 440 pages long version, I picked it up in a UK LCS for fairly cheap.
    I have to say, I'm not a Chaykin fan, I couldn't even finish the book, I was not invested in the story and the characters and Chaykin's art didn't do it for me either. I found it too chaotic, it distracted me from the reading experience.
    The book itself was a bit dissapointing too. The binding was really tight, it seemed like a sewn binding but it was a mousetrap. The paperstock was really strange, it was like xerox paper, but a little bit thicker, I never had a book with similar paperstock and it didn't seem a good choice.
    And it isn't oversized.

Over the years, I have read this series a number of times, each time hoping that I missed something and it would get better. It doesn't, at least not for me. I do like Chaykin's art and I like some of his other writings, but not this one. I'm sure I'm in a minority here. Also, Alan Moore too over the series (I don't think it's collected in this book) for awhile and those stories were (surprisingly) pretty bad, too.

I'm hoping that someday, Dark Horse releases over-sized omnibuses for Blade of the Immortal. Hiroaki Samura's art deserves to be seen in a larger format, similar to the Art of Blade of the Immortal that was released some time back.

Amazing Member

Hi Guys,

I got a binding question for you experts out there. Just got the Crawlspace omnibus and I have an issue with the binding.
    Basically it lays flat in the middle but the top of the binding isn't glued to the actual book as the top is; you'll see quite clearly in the pictures.

Do you reckon I should ask BD for a replacement or try and go all surgeon on the glued part and just go with it?
    Thanks!

EDIT: sorry for the pictures, they look fine on my end

Attachment 3619Attachment 3620
    Neither of those pictures seem bad to me at all, if they are willing to give you a replacement go for it but I don't see why you need one

Hi Guys,

I got a binding question for you experts out there. Just got the Crawlspace omnibus and I have an issue with the binding.
    Basically it lays flat in the middle but the top of the binding isn't glued to the actual book as the top is; you'll see quite clearly in the pictures.

Do you reckon I should ask BD for a replacement or try and go all surgeon on the glued part and just go with it?
    Thanks!

EDIT: sorry for the pictures, they look fine on my end

Attachment 3619Attachment 3620
    I don't see anything wrong here. You're aware it's supposed to separate like that, right?