Page 159 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 59109149155156157158159160161162163169209259659 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,385 of 15079
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    He tried that with BP & Crew. It got canceled after the first issue.
    He was using 90% of other people's characters, wasn't he? No shock it didn't take.

If Marvel is gonna do a team, they oughta staff it with characters the writer has complete control over (Avengers naturally excluded )

Quote Originally Posted by Common Writer View Post
    True.

But that's because it was more of a Mystic Knight story than a BP story.

Got canceled because of false advertising lol.

But I still like it though.
    And his BP is about BP side characters

and his Cap is about cap side characters

It is basically his MO at this point
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    And I still can't believe they haven't given him an X-title yet. Like you said, he's screaming, "I want to write Storm!"

Only problem might be that the X-Editor will have a tighter rein on him that the BP editor.
    Probably wants to go his own direction with no alignment with the main books. Editorial most likely wouldn't sign off on that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

And for some reason folks don't see that.

Because they are so desperate for crumbs.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Coates obviously prefers elevating female characters that he feels have been marginalized or forgotten so he uses the books that he gets to work as stealth solos. Marvel will probably never green light a Misty Knight solo so he uses the Crew to make it into her story. Marvel wouldn’t let him do a full Dora Milaje book so he splits the MA character arcs between the first season and WOW. X-Office said he’s not getting the Storm solo out the gate so he uses season two as set up and a showcase for her and does more with that character than the main lead.

I don’t doubt that he’s a fan of T’Challa and Cap, but I think he likes very specific, deconstructive versions of them that have never been seen before and is more interested in the women of their lives. Which is why I can’t for the life of me understand why Marvel doesn’t let him play to his strengths. Give the man a Storm or Daughters of Liberty graphic novel that’s not in continuity to keep him and his followers happy so you don’t sacrifice your tentpole franchises at the altar of his biases.
    Last edited by chief12d; 02-26-2021 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Coates obviously prefers elevating female characters that he feels have been marginalized or forgotten so he uses the books that he gets to work as stealth solos. Marvel will probably never green light a Misty Knight solo so he uses the Crew to make it into her story. Marvel wouldn’t let him do a full Dora Milaje book so he splits the MA character arcs between the first season and WOW. X-Office said he’s not getting the Storm solo out the gate so he uses season two as set up and a showcase for her and does more with that character than the main lead.

I don’t doubt that he’s a fan of T’Challa and Cap, but I think he likes very specific, deconstructive versions of them that have never been seen before and is more interested in the women of their lives. Which is why I can’t for the life of me understand why Marvel doesn’t let him play to his strengths. Give the man a Storm or Daughters of Liberty graphic novel that’s not in continuity to keep him and his followers happy so you don’t sacrifice your tentpole franchises at the altar of his biases.
    DC has been doing quality work with the Black Label imprint. I'm surprised Mavel hasnt copied it yet.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, Coates might as well be wearing a sign that says 'I want to write X-Men', with his villain choices in BP and in Captain America.

He might do good there, all things considered. The X verse is overdue for a black writer, I don't recall any off hand.

But shoehorning them into Cap and Panther doesn't work, especially the ones he's chosen (like Selene)
    We have Vita who's killing it on New Mutants right now.
    So..no thanks. We're good.
    We don't need some revisionist not-a-comic-book writer mucking up what HiX-Man and Co. are doing right now.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Ultimate Member

So Marvel is willing to ALIENATE Black Panther fans and continue the trend of black male lead stuff getting taking over for black females (or try to looking at you Stranger Things).

Because Storm nor Misty can't get a solo shot (again in the case of Storm). Two women who like Monica and Vixen and Bumblebee have been the faces of black women at two of the biggest companies in the industry can't get solo shots. Those 2 women can't get a solo shot because someone at Marvel thinks they won't sell.

Moon Girl went 47 issues.
    Shuri has 2 ongoings and at least 3 novels and a tv special.
    Riri has had 2 ongoings, a tv special & a statute.
    Nubia-has one of the TOP SELLING OGNS on Amazon and her book came out 2 days ago and she is sniffing a series.
    The Alien franchise Disney stole from Fox had books STARRING a BLACK WOMAN as the LEAD
    Far Sector is one the best kept secrets in comics.
    Redjack got Vixen off the scrap heap for a one shot and got folks BEGGING for more.
    John Ridley did more with Bumblebee in ONE issue than anyone has in her 40 years.
    Image has a book with a black woman called Kick Azz that is at least 4 years running.

Leah Williams when I met her TOLD me she, Vita and others have CONSTANTLY fought to get solos for characters.

Marvel has the writer and probably can get an artist like Ray Anthony or Brittany Williams and toss out a Storm book.

Milestone (with Vita & Hudlin) is back. Redjack with John Stewart (and hopefully Vixen) and Ridley with Jace Fox. Miles Morales can't stop having reprints. And the indy side is not playing with anyone.

What is the excuse??

"Subverting black male machismo" is an M.O. of his. I remember him wanting to do that in "The water dancer" his fiction novel that's apparently being developed into a movie. Except he's doing that with a guy like T'challa, who isn't a hyper masculine guy...at all. Cap is also one of the least hyper masculine guys in the MU, but I guess Coates felt the need to fix what wasn't broken in the first place.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    "Subverting black male machismo" is an M.O. of his. I remember him wanting to do that in "The water dancer" his fiction novel that's apparently being developed into a movie. Except he's doing that with a guy like T'challa, who isn't a hyper masculine guy...at all. Cap is also one of the least hyper masculine guys in the MU, but I guess Coates felt the need to fix what wasn't broken in the first place.
    That does seem to be the habit of writers. See Aaron's Thor.

Or, don't, really...

Incredible Member

COATES will now have a chance to ruin Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Dariel81 View Post
    How is it he's getting a chance to ruin every character I like

Quote Originally Posted by Dariel81 View Post
    Yeah, I'm...I'm really not sure how I feel about this.

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Legend of Coates

A black man writing T'Challa and Superman is major no matter how you slice it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    That does seem to be the habit of writers. See Aaron's Thor.

Or, don't, really...
    Aaron's been deconstructing Thor for so long that beating him down is the only thing he knows how to do with him. He can't help himself really.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    How is it he's getting a chance to ruin every character I like

Coates can't write Superman, not only is he bad at fiction, his cynicism is too strong.