Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    BANNED

SHAZAM! is a call to action for Billy Batson to let loose..

CAPTAIN MARVEL!!

How you know a Shazam movie is coming out!

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    The funny thing is that there was one issue of Carol Danver's books were she was communing with different Captain Marvel(s), across time and space, with some being her doppelganger, which featured every version of "Captain Marvel"...including DC's (though you could only see a leg with the familiar colors.
    Yeah, in an Infinity Countdown one-shot tie-in, though it was blue, not red, and thus looked more like Freddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    There's a surrpsiing amount of British ripoffs too in addition to the better known Marvelman. Ace Heart, Masterman, Electroman, Thunderbolt Jaxon, Captain Miracle the other Miracleman and even Bananaman.

The British loved their Captain Marvel homages.
    Bananaman still exists. He's in The Beano every week.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 04-01-2019 at 12:49 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

If anyone's interested, I've started a Shazam (movie) fan-fic over on FF and AO3. It's just the prologue at the moment, but I think some of you might enjoy it.

Astonishing Member

Regarding Shazam, I practically started reading about him in New52. I really liked the introduction of Shazam and his family in Justice League by Johns.

The current ongoing is interesting, but I feel the story is progressing somewhat slowly

I was surprised that Mary is almost 18. I though her age was similar to Billy and Freddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I though her age was similar to Billy ....
    Yes they used to be ("long lost") twins. - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post3294220
    I thought there was still room (and even some set up) for this inevitable reveal- https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post3866393

Although it doesn't look that way anymore.
    I like pretty much everything about the n52 relaunch, except losing this charming aspect of their story is one of the few that irks me.
    However certainly not enough to keep me from immensely enjoying the new series, and really looking forward to see the movie this weekend!
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-05-2019 at 07:55 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Yes they used to be ("long lost") twins. - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post3294220
    I thought there was still room (and even some set up) for this inevitable reveal- https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post3866393
    Although it doesn't look that way anymore.
    I like pretty much everything about the n52 relaunch, except losing this charming aspect of their story is one of the few that irks me.
    However certainly not enough to keep me from immensely enjoying the new series, and really looking forward to see the movie this weekend!
    Although I don't read almost any story of Shazam Pre-New52, I hear about the twins relationship between them. Originally, I though Johns will mantain this relationship, since Mary seemed to be "special" on her own.

That said, even in the story of Shazam in New52, Mary, Billy and Freddy seemed to be similar age (even in the flashback of Shazam #1). I just discover she was older in Shazam #3.
    Last edited by Konja7; 04-05-2019 at 06:48 AM.

No matter how many times Shazam gets rebooted Billy and Mary should be always be Twins or at least full siblings.
    imo they have the best siblings relationship in all of comics.

new DC Lego trailer:

BANNED

I rather have both Billy and Mary be a bit younger than their current 52 ages as it would make the stories a bit more impactful if it occurred to them at a younger age and not at the ages of a teenager. I mean unless Billy goes to join the Teen Titans or some other Youthful team...I can’t see him in Justice League in case of emergencies only.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I rather have both Billy and Mary be a bit younger than their current 52 ages as it would make the stories a bit more impactful if it occurred to them at a younger age and not at the ages of a teenager. I mean unless Billy goes to join the Teen Titans or some other Youthful team...I can’t see him in Justice League in case of emergencies only.
    I agree, to be honest - I'm liking the current series, but the impact of "Billy Batson is a kid who can turn into an adult superhero!" is lost a bit when he's older than a good chunk of DC's other teen heroes.

LOL! He'd swap out Zeus and Mercury for the Roman Jupiter and Hermes.

And call him SHAJAH!
    Actually he’d keep Mercury since Mercury is the Roman counterpart to the greek Hermes.

Guess he’d be called SHAJAM then.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post

LOL! He'd swap out Zeus and Mercury for the Roman Jupiter and Hermes.

And call him SHAJAH!
    Actually he’d keep Mercury since Mercury is the Roman counterpart to the greek Hermes.

Guess he’d be called SHAJAM then.
    LOL, my bad! (and click my edit for a bigger laugh)
    I had them flipped: Yeah he'd stick with Mercury.
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-13-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Incredible Member

My problem is that DC isn't going a step further on the SHAZAM! concept.

1. The name of the primary hero. If you're not going to use "Captain Marvel", then use "Captain Thunder", which was established in FLASHPOINT.
    2. SHAZAM! as a name for the book and transformation spell. If, let's say, Captain Thunder is used as the name of the hero, then the book should be called "The Champion of SHAZAM!". If the name of the hero is "Shazam!", then the name of the book should also be "SHAZAM". However, when transforming, Billy would say "SHAZAM!" to become empowered, but would have to say the name backwards to become Billy again (!MAZAHS). None of this "intent" business, and he could say his name finally.
    3. Make Freddy Freeman Billy's side-kick again. I think Geoff Johns taking that element away is worse than Freddy being blond.
    4. Bring back the "original" Mary Bromfield. Not only should Mary be Billy's twin sister again, but she should have her own power-set. Update them is so desired, in order to make them more comparable to Billy's power-set.
    5. What to do with Pedro, Darla and Eugene. Many possibilities, including Billy sharing his powers with the others as his "Lt. Marvels". Then again, I do like the idea of the Lt. Marvels being normal guys who can be called upon to help fight the Monster Society of Evil (see: Multiversity: Thunderworld). Hmmm. At the very least, each one should have distinct elders to draw power from (in the name of diversity, of course).

Just some random thoughts. Maybe, in the end, the best solution is to keep things the way they are?