Page 29 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Black Cat #5 Mary Jane Variant Cover by Terry Dodson

You and me both, Felicia

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    In his defense, he did say that the dynamic between Felicia and Peter was much more interesting, if only for the transgressive nature of such a relationship, in that she's the kind of girl he "shouldn't" be with.
    True, but that's also kind of the problem though. I think to look at their relationship through any lens, be it romantic or as a friendship, as being something that "can't" or "shouldn't" work because she's the 'bad girl' or toxic or whatever is regressive to her character, who's displayed a lot of growth beyond the bad girl archetype she was introduced with and sat in until the early to mid 00's. To say she's the kind of woman he 100% shouldn't be with is to basically say "she's the same as she's ever been".
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Ultimate Member

I don't see Felicia as being toxic for Peter but she does register as a "bad girl", then again Mary Jane isn't exactly a saint either...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I don't see Felicia as being toxic for Peter but she does register as a "bad girl", then again Mary Jane isn't exactly a saint either...
    She is toxic for Peter. (I honestly thought that was the appeal for people.)

When is the new Black Cat series set? Is it present day? Because she is a straight up criminal still if that’s the case. I don’t think she can be trusted still.

MJ is more bad girl in image and past history and not in the criminal activity way. You had her self centered / run away from problems period, fake/pretend party era, then in the marriage she was flawed with smoking and partying/dancing with strangers to deal with stress. Though she has improved a lot since then becoming more ideal. I wonder if any writers would bring back any flaws with her character these days.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 07-25-2019 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Black Cat #5 Mary Jane Variant Cover by Terry Dodson
    MJ and Felicia as partners in crime? I'd like to see this .

(Not surprised MJ's not as good at burglary though .)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    When is the new Black Cat series set? Is it present day? Because she is a straight up criminal still if that’s the case. I don’t think she can be trusted still.
    It's set in the present day. It's just basically focusing on Felicia's criminal activities as a thief.

Even at her most heroic she still partook in thievery.
    MJ is more bad girl in image and past history and not in the criminal activity way. You had her self centered / run away from problems period, fake/pretend party era, then in the marriage she was flawed with smoking and partying/dancing with strangers to deal with stress. Though she has improved a lot since then becoming more ideal. I wonder if any writers would bring back any flaws with her character these days.
    I guess she's a "bad girl" in the sense that she wasn't necessarily the kind of pure, goody-goody, girl in her youth, but definitely very different kind from Felicia, the kind who end up with criminal records.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post

This is gonna sound weird, but MJ smoking was kinda interesting. Or maybe I just liked the way they drew smoking in the old art styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess she's a "bad girl" in the sense that she wasn't necessarily the kind of pure, goody-goody, girl in her youth, but definitely very different kind from Felicia, the kind who end up with criminal records.
    Felicia's real problem is Aunt May doesn't like her. And while that is certainly part of the appeal (A girl you can't take home to mother), it also dooms the relationship ever actually working out with a character like Peter.

As creepy as Marvel sometimes gets with them, Peter absolutely cherishes Aunt May, and wants her approval.

Now I just imagine an MJ and Felicia team-up ending up with MJ getting arrested so she can have a mugshot like most of the characters in this series .

(I wonder if McKay will bring back that element of showing everyone's mugshot from the first issue. Come to think of it, I think every member of the FF has been arrested at some point or another).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Felicia's real problem is Aunt May doesn't like her. And while that is certainly part of the appeal (A girl you can't take home to mother), it also dooms the relationship ever actually working out with a character like Peter.

As creepy as Marvel sometimes gets with them, Peter absolutely cherishes Aunt May, and wants her approval.
    I'm not sure if May even remembers meeting Felicia. Although I hear they met in the recent PAD Black Suit mini.

I'm not sure if May even remembers meeting Felicia. Although I hear they met in the recent PAD Black Suit mini.
    Not exactly the point I was getting at.

Not exactly the point I was getting at.
    I know, but I'm just saying May's reaction to Felicia isn't set in stone .

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    This is gonna sound weird, but MJ smoking was kinda interesting. Or maybe I just liked the way they drew smoking in the old art styles.
    Haha, your actually not alone. One of my first issues of Amazing was a back issue I picked up of the Spider Slayer arc with Electro on the cover. In the story MJ is with Peter, Flash and Felicia. When Peter runs off to be Spider-man, MJ lights up a cigarette and some guy says “excuse me ma’m this is designated a non smoking area, and MJ replies “sorry but I need this more than you don’t”.

I was young and grew up with the message “smoking is bad” and I remember being taken off guard thinking “Spider-Man’s wife is bad” and it intrigued me about her and I wanted to know more about her and if Peter knew and was ok with it or not.

I think the juxtaposition of having your super hero / Marvel mascot / Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man with a wife that is flawed like that and had some negative qualities was definitely interesting.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 07-25-2019 at 10:06 AM.

I know, but I'm just saying May's reaction to Felicia isn't set in stone .
    Felicia's whole appeal is she isn't the kind of woman Aunt May would approve of. This is also the thing that dooms her and Peter more than anything else because Peter does want Aunt May's approval.

But shippers gonna ship.

Felicia's whole appeal is she isn't the kind of woman Aunt May would approve of. This is also the thing that dooms her and Peter more than anything else because Peter does want Aunt May's approval.

But shippers gonna ship.
    I dunno. I think Felicia could win over Aunt May with enough time .

I dunno. I think Felicia could win over Aunt May with enough time .
    Then Felicia loses her appeal as the girl that mother doesn't approve of.