Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    Attachment 57250

This was my first issue of Superman as a subscribed reader. Before that, I picked up the random issue here or there. I always wanted to read Superman comics but as a kid, I thought the high numbers on the covers meant I had to read everything before it. So I thought I couldn't catch up. Then they announced The Death of Superman and I wasn't going to miss that. So I went to my LCS, asked them to pull everything Superman for me, and have been reading every since. After I subscribed, I went back and started pouring through back issues.

What I love about Superman is that no matter the version, no matter the medium, there is always something to love. He's reached audiences around the world. He's one of the most beloved heroes. That says a whole lot about him as a character. The fact that he's lasted this long and remains fairly popular is truly something special.

My office at work it completely decorated with Superman pictures, statues, autographs and other things. Not a single person can walk past it without stopping in to take a look with a huge smile on their face. My bosses say that every time a new person visits our office, my little corner is the most popular spot. So clearly there is a lot to love about Superman.
    I remember two comics which i brought in my childhood. They were:

I liked Man Of Steel #1. It seemed really special. But weird thing is that i did not know that this was supposed to be the first in a miniseries. It reads as a self contained issue.

The other one is weird. Kingdom Come #4. I was a fan of Justice League from the cartoons. I looked at this and was impressed by the art. I got it. But couldn't understand most of it. The issue was a good read even with less understanding.

Your office space sounds cool. I think Superman is someone special. Comic book nerds always go about Batman or Wolverine and heroes like that but the general public has a lot of love for Superman. Superman is thus in a different class in my opinion. Superman appeals to everyone. Even if a person won't read one book he appeals to them like no other.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 11-04-2017 at 04:26 AM.

When I was a kid, I didn't get that there were different versions of Superman. When I read a Giant Sized Jimmy Olsen Special at my Grandma's house (my first Superman comic), I didn't have the slightest notion that Superman was supposed to be "different" from the Superman in "Time and Time Again", which was another arc she had most of. I guess I remember noticing that in the former he could travel through time at will while in the latter he kept exploding through it, and it honestly did kind of bother me, just as it bothered me in Fleischer cartoons if Superman had trouble breaking a door down after I'd previously watched him throw asteroids without breaking a sweat, but the discrepancies never stopped me in my tracks.

I also only remember one origin story of Superman from when I was a kid. That probably helped. I never needed to worry about the differences between Byrne's version of the origin and the Silver Age version, because I remembered the Fleischer version and the Adventures of Superman TV Show version, which I saw as a longer, expanded version of the former. I only knew of the latter from a tape I got from the library containing the first and last episodes of the show. I wouldn't see Superman: the Movie until my fandom was in full swing- I must've been twelve or so. By then I knew all about the Crisis and reboots and such from reference books and wikipedia!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    When I was a kid, I didn't get that there were different versions of Superman. When I read a Giant Sized Jimmy Olsen Special at my Grandma's house (my first Superman comic), I didn't have the slightest notion that Superman was supposed to be "different" from the Superman in "Time and Time Again", which was another arc she had most of. I guess I remember noticing that in the former he could travel through time at will while in the latter he kept exploding through it, and it honestly did kind of bother me, just as it bothered me in Fleischer cartoons if Superman had trouble breaking a door down after I'd previously watched him throw asteroids without breaking a sweat, but the discrepancies never stopped me in my tracks.

I also only remember one origin story of Superman from when I was a kid. That probably helped. I never needed to worry about the differences between Byrne's version of the origin and the Silver Age version, because I remembered the Fleischer version and the Adventures of Superman TV Show version, which I saw as a longer, expanded version of the former. I only knew of the latter from a tape I got from the library containing the first and last episodes of the show. I wouldn't see Superman: the Movie until my fandom was in full swing- I must've been twelve or so. By then I knew all about the Crisis and reboots and such from reference books and wikipedia!
    This sounds like me. Before I started hard core comic collecting, I thought the incarnation of Superman that was in some old 70s Superman comics that were given to me by my older brother and the ones I'd occasionally pick up at the 7eleven circa 1990 ish were the same guy. Heck I thought the movie one and the one on in the comics was part of the same continuity somehow! ( My first Superman movie I ever saw was Superman III. Didn't see the others all the way through until the early 90's). It wasn't until the Death of Superman story and getting full fledged into the comics I became aware that there were multiple versions and a PreCrisis and a Post Crisis.

I guess I still kind of view Superman as the same guy in most versions. That's probably why I don't really ascribe to the " not much Superman!" Aversion many in fandom have to something that's a bit different to what they grew up on. Of course I have my preferences , but I tend to see the PreCrisis/Post Crisis/new52/ Rebirth Superman as one guy who has had one incredible time and reality defying life. It's why I can enjoy things as different as the Donner films, Smallville,Superman Returns,and DCEU without rejecting things that are different from retelling to telling.Especially as I approach my late 30's. The 20 year old me would have Likely been groucing about Superman killing Zod in MOS and harping on the lack of trunks in most current media!
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Cool story Adekis! As a kid i read only those two comics i have mentioned. The first time i had any real contact with Superman was in Superman TAS. Simultaneously there was Justice League Animated on TV. Never got into comics after them. My fandom has been in full swing about now after DC Rebirth. I have a lot of stuff to catch up. To be truthful i watched Superman: The Movie for real only about last month. Earlier, i caught some parts on TV. But now i can see and appreciate what a movie it is. So truly speaking everything is new for me! I can't say this is my Superman and others are not. I have my preferences but i like almost all of them!

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    This sounds like me. Before I started hard core comic collecting, I thought the incarnation of Superman that was in some old 70s Superman comics that were given to me by my older brother and the ones I'd occasionally pick up at the 7eleven circa 1990 ish were the same guy. Heck I thought the movie one and the one on in the comics was part of the same continuity somehow! ( My first Superman movie I ever saw was Superman III. Didn't see the others all the way through until the early 90's). It wasn't until the Death of Superman story and getting full fledged into the comics I became aware that there were multiple versions and a PreCrisis and a Post Crisis.

I guess I still kind of view Superman as the same guy in most versions. That's probably why I don't really ascribe to the " not much Superman!" Aversion many in fandom have to something that's a bit different to what they grew up on. Of course I have my preferences , but I tend to see the PreCrisis/Post Crisis/new52/ Rebirth Superman as one guy who has had one incredible time and reality defying life. It's why I can enjoy things as different as the Donner films, Smallville,Superman Returns,and DCEU without rejecting things that are different from retelling to telling.Especially as I approach my late 30's. The 20 year old me would have Likely been groucing about Superman killing Zod in MOS and harping on the lack of trunks in most current media!
    Well i complain about those trunks! Superman never looks like one without them. But i can live. Lack of trunks has no effect in the enjoyment derived from a story. Give me good stuff and i am okay. But that does not mean i can ever forget them. I will welcome them with open arms!
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 11-04-2017 at 07:24 AM.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Yeah, as I grew older I starting feeling really confused especially since I was reading my Arabic translated Superman comics that had pre-crisis stories and the American comic issues that were post crisis stories and seeing stuff like the Kents being died in one side and alive on the other and the more Kryptonians on one side and no Kryptonians on the other.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

George Reeves, Christopher Reeve, Dean Cain, Tom Welling, Brandon Routh, Henry Cavill, Tyler Hoechlin
    Last edited by Mongul778; 11-07-2017 at 06:02 PM.

Incredible Member

Kirk Alyn got screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongul778 View Post

George Reeves, Christopher Reeve, Dean Cain, Tom Welling, Brandon Routh, Henry Cavill, Tyler Hoechlin
    7 out of the 14 Live-Action Clark Kent (or LACK, for short) thespians are represented here. Truthfully, it's real hard to find or even make a graphic containing all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    Kirk Alyn got screwed.
    Ah, yes. Live-Action Clark Kent II, or LACK 2. He doesn't get repped enough in these montages. But he is far from the only one to get screwed.

Take a gander at Live-Action Clark Kent I (LACK 1), aka Ray Middleton:

Dude was the first actor to portray Superman, in 1940 at the World's Fair.

Almost no one remembers him

Incredible Member

Ha, I remember his image and the World's Fair story, but I can never remember his name.

My favorite part of Final Days of Superman!

Apropos of nothing, personally, my favorite voice for Superman is Bud Collyer from the old radio show. It's amazing how good he sounded! Plus, he could have Superman and Clark say exactly the same thing in a totally different way...
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

My favorite part of Final Days of Superman!

Apropos of nothing, personally, my favorite voice for Superman is Bud Collyer from the old radio show. It's amazing how good he sounded! Plus, he could have Superman and Clark say exactly the same thing in a totally different way...
    Looks great, I think Janin’s Dick Grayson sorta spoils his Superman for me though. They look exactly the same and his Dick was engrained in my head first, so when I see his Supes, I end up just seeing Dick Grayson cosplaying as Superman.

Im done with 1992.Panic in the Sky was the highlight of the year.I liked it.
    And now,for the big one...

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    Looks great, I think Janin’s Dick Grayson sorta spoils his Superman for me though. They look exactly the same and his Dick was engrained in my head first, so when I see his Supes, I end up just seeing Dick Grayson cosplaying as Superman.
    Now you've spoiled it for me .

It is interesting looking back at how different New 52 Supes and the current Supes look, even if it's kind of subtle and just basically amounts to one looking more youthful then the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Now you've spoiled it for me .

It is interesting looking back at how different New 52 Supes and the current Supes look, even if it's kind of subtle and just basically amounts to one looking more youthful then the other.
    I thought that too, but even his Rebirth Supes has the same Dick-face. A better example of that would be comparing Kenneth Rocafort’s pre and post rebirth Clark’s.

Last edited by FishyZombie; 11-08-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Weirdly it’s usually Bruce and Clark who artist make indistinguishable but Janin’s Bruce actually looks fairly distinguished from Dick and Clark