Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 9/11 Twenty Years Later

Thought I'd start this for anyone who wants to talk about it. I don't have much to say myself at this time. I clearly remember that day, waking up and turning on the TV. Thinking at first that this can't be real, then walking up my husband to tell him about it. Thinking about my brother and two brother-in-laws who all worked in Manhattan at the time, though none in the southern part of Manhattan.

Personally I don't know anyone who died that day, or who had relatives who died that day. At least no one I know has talked about it with me.

My town's website posted the names of three people who died that day, residents of the town at that time. A commemoration post.
    Last edited by Tami; 09-11-2021 at 06:01 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Thought I'd start this for anyone who wants to talk about it. I don't have much to say myself at this time. I clearly remember that day, waking up and turning on the TV. Thinking at first that this can't be real, then walking up my husband to tell him about it. Thinking about my brother and two brother-in-laws who all worked in Manhattan at the time, though none in the southern part of Manhattan.

Personally I don't know anyone who died that day, or who had relatives who died that day. At least no one I know has talked about it with me.

My town's website posted the names of three people who died that day, residents of the town at that time. A commemoration post.
    Most of my family is in up-state New York. My parents are from New York. As a result, it felt weirdly personal for me despite my never having been in the city itself despite having been to the state many times.

Mighty Member

Even through I’m form the UK and was 6 at the time, I remember watching it on the news on a small TV in my Nan’s Kitchen. I remember afterwards my School talking about and stuff. I didn’t really know much about what happened to be honest, I thought it was an accident.
    20 years on, I get why People talk about it. It’s still a tragedy and those effected by it will be for the rest of their lives.
    In a way, I felt America never really built itself after it. It just came out of a way that was started by it and it certainly did change things from how America was viewed and what they saw of the World. Without getting too political because this isn’t the time or place to do so, I feel it changed things for the worst.

Extraordinary Member

I know no one who died in this personally, but it was the very first televised thing I'd ever seen that I actually cried at seeing. Those things...you can't unsee.

However, today Pepperdine University right on PCH at one of the most beautiful spots on the California cost, on a huge, beautiful meadow, has planted a flag for each victim. US for the most part, but still far too many flags of other nations. I thought it was a nice gesture, and it looks pretty.

I remember right where I was when I heard about what happened. I was working for 7-Up the soda company. My job was to go to the stores and put the 12 packs on the shelf and restock the 20oz bottles in the coolers, build displays etc.. I was stocking a shelf at the Kroger in Latonia Kentucky. The coke guy came up to me. he was all shaken and upset. I had know this man (His name was Dave) for over a year. We worked the same stores and talked and went out to breakfast together a few time. it was not like him to be so upset. He told me that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. I didnt think anything of it. I thought it was one of those single engine planes that people flew and wondered why he was so upset. I finished the store it was the last store of the day for me. My shift started at 330am so I was done most days by 9, I called the dispatcher to see if anyone else in my area needed help with their stores. My boss Doug said Brother this is a day im not making anyone work extra. Get home and watch the news.

I starting thinking at this point there was more to the story. I got back to my car and turned on the radio. I kept in on the news station because they did traffic updates and since I drove a lot for work it helped a lot. What I heard blew me away. It was not a small plane at all but a large plane and not only that a second one had hit the south tower, As I was driving home I heard the alert that a plane had crashed into The Pentagon. I could not believe what I was hearing. I could tell by the faces of the drivers of those around me that they were listening to the same thing on the radio. I got home and ran into my apartment and turned on the news to minutes before the South Tower came down. I just sat on my sofa stunned I could not understand or even believe what I was seeing. I watched the news all day and for the next two days as I was off work for my normal days off.

I wouldnt understand just what I saw or even understand it fully for years and to be honest I still dont. I watched the 9/11 docs on Nat geo over the last week and They have given me a much better understanding of what the people that day went through. They were hard to watch. A fire captain who sent a fire fighter up to the towers to help get people out and never saw him again only to reveal that fire fighter was his younger brother. A woman who was helped out of the tower by a man in her office and he ran back in to help and he died that day.

To this day I still do not understand the pure evil that is in the world that drives men to do such things. I thought I got a good glance of evil in prison but as I watch the news reports from that day and the video and docs I know that I have not even touched the surface.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

This is how my family members left Manhattan that day: On 9/11, a Flotilla of Ferries, Yachts and Tugboats Evacuated 500,000 People Away From Ground Zero

It was pretty much the only way out, from Midtown to Downtown.

Astonishing Member

When I was driving into work I heard a report on the radio that there was news that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center, but that was all that I knew until much later in the day, and even then I knew very little. I didn't have a radio at work, and the Internet news sites were unavailable on account of the heavy Web traffic, so I really didn't know much at all about just what was happening in real time. I live a bit less than 3 miles from the Pentagon, as the crow flies. and from what little I did know I was worried about how to get home from work that afternoon, since so many streets were closed. As it turned out, getting home was easier than usual, since so many Government employees in DC had been sent home early. (My sister works on Capitol Hill, and they had all evacuated almost immediately.) It wasn't until I actually got home and could watch the news on TV that I understood all that had transpired. The next morning when I stepped out my front door I could smell the smoke from the fires that were still smoldering.

I was at work in Brooklyn, only a few blocks from the East River. We could see the Towers from outside the office. There was asbestos dust in the air for several days after.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Even through I’m form the UK and was 6 at the time, I remember watching it on the news on a small TV in my Nan’s Kitchen. I remember afterwards my School talking about and stuff. I didn’t really know much about what happened to be honest, I thought it was an accident.
    20 years on, I get why People talk about it. It’s still a tragedy and those effected by it will be for the rest of their lives.
    In a way, I felt America never really built itself after it. It just came out of a way that was started by it and it certainly did change things from how America was viewed and what they saw of the World. Without getting too political because this isn’t the time or place to do so, I feel it changed things for the worst.
    I was in my office when we heard. I remember telling my boss the next day that I wasn't afraid of what the terrorists might do next, but I was absolutely terrified of what we were about to do next.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I was at work in Brooklyn, only a few blocks from the East River. We could see the Towers from outside the office. There was asbestos dust in the air for several days after.
    For us, over in Northern Jersey, there was something with the water afterwards.

I don't know why, but over the past few years it's been hard for me to commemorate this day. The first few years after it happened, most definitely I remembered and took time to pay respects. But recently, I find today to be traumatic. There are a number of specials and memorials on the local news here. I don't want to see them. I somewhat shake when I talk about it. Not that I don't remember that day. I remember going into second period AP Bio and hearing that there was an attack at the Twin Towers. I remember the principal on the loudspeaker making the announcement. There were rumors throughout the day that the GWB, the Holland, the Empire State Building, and other areas in the city were being attacked. I remember my Spanish teacher crying since her husband went off to work to the Twin Towers. I felt worried because my sister was going to college in the city and my father worked as a doctor in Jersey City. All the TV stations that day were on a message delay. The evening news report showed the collapse of the towers, the same ones I had seen every time from the GWB when I went into the city.

I said before in another thread that I've been back to the WTC area. There are reflecting ponds there etched with the names of those who died. There's the Freedom Tower now. Come to the city, and you'll see ads for visiting the top floor and tourist experiences. So, there's been recovery. But I haven't been in there. I just can't. Maybe some day, but not now.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post

I don't know why, but over the past few years it's been hard for me to commemorate this day. The first few years after it happened, most definitely I remembered and took time to pay respects. But recently, I find today to be traumatic. There are a number of specials and memorials on the local news here. I don't want to see them. I somewhat shake when I talk about it. Not that I don't remember that day. I remember going into second period AP Bio and hearing that there was an attack at the Twin Towers. I remember the principal on the loudspeaker making the announcement. There were rumors throughout the day that the GWB, the Holland, the Empire State Building, and other areas in the city were being attacked. I remember my Spanish teacher crying since her husband went off to work to the Twin Towers. I felt worried because my sister was going to college in the city and my father worked as a doctor in Jersey City. All the TV stations that day were on a message delay. The evening news report showed the collapse of the towers, the same ones I had seen every time from the GWB when I went into the city.

I said before in another thread that I've been back to the WTC area. There are reflecting ponds there etched with the names of those who died. There's the Freedom Tower now. Come to the city, and you'll see ads for visiting the top floor and tourist experiences. So, there's been recovery. But I haven't been in there. I just can't. Maybe some day, but not now.
    The Former NYC Fire Commissioner summed it up great on The Today Show this morning.

A Day we Will Never Forget but A Day No One Wants To Remember.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post

I know the feeling. I haven't been back to NY in a long time, and I still haven't visited the site. Even today I couldn't bring myself to watch everything on the news. In a way I felt guilty about it, but in a way it's understandable.

I know the feeling. I haven't been back to NY in a long time, and I still haven't visited the site. Even today I couldn't bring myself to watch everything on the news. In a way I felt guilty about it, but in a way it's understandable.
    Understood. My father just asked me if I had watched anything related to 9/11 today. I flatly said no. I didn't want to feel that fear again. Which is quite odd by the way. When 9/11 happened, things felt surreal. September 11th was a Tuesday. The day was actually quite beautiful in the NY/NJ area, blue skies and moderate temperatures. I remember walking out of my school and just noticing how serene it felt while just a few miles away planes were going into buildings.

The tragedy's weight didn't sink in that day. Instead, it happened unexpectedly a couple of months later. I was rushing down the steps of the staircase in my house. Suddenly, I thought about the people in the buildings, who were rushing down the steps and couldn't make it. Then I sat on the steps and cried hard.

As I mentioned before, it's only in the last couple of years that 9/11 has been traumatic. Part of it is due to the fact that 9/11 is becoming more and more distant. As a teacher, I teach students who were born well after 9/11. They didn't go through that day like many of us did. Current events to me have become history in textbooks for them. This just reminds me how old I've become.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

9/11 was a bit strange for me.

My father (who was born in Brooklyn, NY and had previously worked in Manhattan for about 30 years until 1983) had passed away at the end of July.

I was working as a substitute teacher for a 4th grade class that morning and only heard bits and pieces of the news during the day. (The 4th grade was in the elementary school building, and the decision was not to let the students in that building know what was happening while they were in school until they could get home to their parents or caretakers. I later was told the town's two other schools with older students had been able to watch news reports during the day.)

I also was house-sitting for some family friends who were out of the country at the time (I think it was a tour trip to Africa that year). They were left wondering when / how they would be able to return to the U.S. because of all the uncertainties of whether there might be other terrorist attacks elsewhere in the world and also the fact that all airline flights in and out of the U.S. were stopped for a period because of how the 9/11 attacks happened.

By the way, the one person I knew that worked in the World Trade Center towers at that time did get out safely before the towers collapsed. He was in I.T. for one of the brokerage firms, and after the first plane crashed into a tower he and his co-workers immediately left the building to get a back-up site up and running. (He had also been working at the World Trade Center back when they had the garage bombing back in 1993.)

I only knew one person who was in the Towers on 9/11, and only second-hand at that. She was a friend of my aunt's, and she worked on the 35th floor of Tower 1. She got out safely with no physical injuries, but she was in therapy for several months afterward to treat her psychological trauma.
    Watching television is not an activity.