Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Buy or Sell Me on...The Sentry

Wasn't sure of a better title, but I am essentially wanting to get your thoughts on characters I'm not overly familiar with. I have a 20 year gap in my two Marvel comic reading phases; there is obviously a lot I've missed out on, and while Marvel Unlimited is helping, sometimes it's tough to know where/when to start an older series.

I am caught up on what Marvel Unlimited has for the Uncanny Avengers (I believe issues 1 through 16), and the Sentry has played a pretty major role, and seems to still be on the chess board as far as this arc is concerned. I believe there is maybe an issue or two that I've read with him in it in the past, but it was a little confusing.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Do/did you like the character? Is his history worth looking into? If so, where to start?

If you didn't like the character, feel free to expound on that.

In case I do look into him more, it would be appreciated if you could avoid any major spoilers.

Thanks!

He had a habit of ripping people in half.
    It was pretty cool, actually.

Spectacular Member

The writers had no idea on what to do with the character. He had potential, but was just used as a plot point for most the stories he was in. His mini confused me too. How clock seemed so involved with him there but never appeared in his team books he was in. Also the whole void personality was a mess. His origin story is pretty lame and unbeleivable compared to the power he possessed.

Along with the Red Hulk and Nick Fury Jr the absolute worst character Marvel popped out since the beginning of the Century.
    Especially the stupid retconning of him into everyones past pisses me the hell off until today!

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

I never really got the character to be honest. I usually have a instant aversion against Marvel's attempts to recreate Superman but Sentry seemed different than most. I never really got into him though, his origin is just so convoluted and everytime the Vood showed up I got a headache
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Along with the Red Hulk and Nick Fury Jr the absolute worst character Marvel popped out since the beginning of the Century.
    Especially the stupid retconning of him into everyones past pisses me the hell off until today!
    Pretty much this.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    bingo.
    nice avy too

I'm not going to buy or sell you on the Sentry, outside of being a Golden Age April Fool's gag by Jenkins, he was terrible.

Dark Avengers was fun, in spite of the Sentry's involvement. So if you have to read you some Sentry, I'd recommend those back issues.

Extraordinary Member

Personally I'm not a fan of him at all, I find him too silly BUT, I liked him in World War Hulk.

The only things I've read with him were Siege and The Age of the Sentry. I don't think he was featured much in the former (the whole thing stinks anyway), and despite the latter being exactly the kind of thing I should love I found it pretty underwhelming.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Void felt forced on Xmen except during Dark Rein, and then Norman was forceing him on every1.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

A walking plot device. Powers so undefined he can basically do anything to fill whatever hole a writer gets himself into. The retconing him into every ones past was just beyond lame also. Truly one of the worst characters Marvel has come up with in the last 2 decades.

The original 2000 mini-series was fun, as a one-off, self-negating bit of metacommentary with some very pretty art. Everything after that was some degree of underwhelming.

BANNED

I like his costume..... Apart from that he was okay in Dark Avengers (God, I miss that title) and the mini was a bit wacky and strange, but I don't hate or dislike him. I just don't have any particular interest in him.

IMO, the earlier you go with the Sentry the better. I love the original Jenkins and Lee miniseries and the four issue story arc in New Avengers. That's when I started lose interest, though. He had a lot of potential, and he may still have potential as it seems that Remender has some plans for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    I like his costume..... Apart from that he was okay in Dark Avengers (God, I miss that title) and the mini was a bit wacky and strange, but I don't hate or dislike him. I just don't have any particular interest in him.
    This is basically how I feel about him at this point.