Page 77 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2767737475767778798081 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1304
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Yeah, which is odd but hey, maybe they are trying to tap into that market of fans, lol. Another first for Wanda's powers.
    Resurrected Wanda unconsciously summoning monsters when she has an anxiety attack seems a bit similar to the first and last episodes of her show, just with accidental kaiju instead of accidental strangulation.

Even without the Messina Elizabeth Olsen look-alike panels, I'd say this was heavily influenced by the MCU in a way that comics Wanda hasn't been before.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Resurrected Wanda unconsciously summoning monsters when she has an anxiety attack seems a bit similar to the first and last episodes of her show, just with accidental kaiju instead of accidental strangulation.

Even without the Messina Elizabeth Olsen look-alike panels, I'd say this was heavily influenced by the MCU in a way that comics Wanda hasn't been before.
    I don't know if I'd go that far to compare the two there. Huge kaiju aren't very similar to that. The similarity is that her powers can work without her knowing it or controlling it. Which does seem to be the MCU synergy there. Because comics Wanda learned to control her powers years ago, and was usually under control unless possessed or manipulated. But that's gone out the window in recent years.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Astonishing Member

Wanda flipping out and losing control of her powers is essentially a Bendism, we can go ahead and lay the blame on his contributions to Avenger’s cannon. And it mostly seems to be a per author thing. No Road Home and her solo book she has no issues, this, Empyre, and AXIS and suddenly she’s one bad mood away from her magic completely screwing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    Wanda flipping out and losing control of her powers is essentially a Bendism, we can go ahead and lay the blame on his contributions to Avenger’s cannon. And it mostly seems to be a per author thing. No Road Home and her solo book she has no issues, this, Empyre, and AXIS and suddenly she’s one bad mood away from her magic completely screwing up.
    Yeah Byrne and later Bendis did that, but most importantly editorial did not do their job to protect the character and allowed what happened to Hank to happen to her.

Leah Williams: Using the Scarlet Witch as an example… her Jewish and Romani ancestry is a big part of those data pages and what I am looking at for how her magic comes out of her. Jewish mysticism is really important for what’s going on with her in Trial of Magneto.

Connor: I noticed that and have really appreciated it as the erasure of Wanda’s Jewishness is very upsetting to me as a Jewish reader… I have appreciated the emphasis on them being Magneto’s children regardless of any other considerations. They are his. They are a family.

Leah Williams: Completely.

Connor: I think that is important so I have noticed the Kabbala stuff.

Leah Williams:
    Good, I am glad to hear it. To me something that comes naturally to the characters. The output of their magic is going to resemble their identity, their culture and training and experiences. With Wanda she has got her heritage and her history and magical training at this point… we are going to be pushing that (the magic) to its furthest additive conclusion. Its not destructive like we have seen in the past. Its additive she is in control.

At Cerebro Podcast time 3:02:47

Wanda was never Jewish in comics. She was only ever of descent when she was Mags' daughter. But never practiced Judaism. She was pagan, which would run counter to her being Romani. And judging from where she grew up, she'd have likely been Muslim if anything outside of Romanipe. It's weird to me that people bring up Judaism when it wasn't ever attached to her but not Romanipe.

"her Jewish and Romani ancestry"

Wanda was never Jewish in comics. She was only ever of descent when she was Mags' daughter. But never practiced Judaism. She was pagan, which would run counter to her being Romani. And judging from where she grew up, she'd have likely been Muslim if anything outside of Romanipe. It's weird to me that people bring up Judaism when it wasn't ever attached to her but not Romanipe.
    You know you don’t have to practice Judaism to be considered Jewish? Her previously being of Jewish descent still made her Jewish.
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Ultimate Member

But was that ever an important part of her character?

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    But was that ever an important part of her character?
    Nope, The core of her character has always been witchcraft. The Jewish part was just a small add on that would be mentioned rarely by others.
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Covetous_One View Post
    Nope, The core of her character has always been witchcraft. The Jewish part was just a small add on that would be mentioned rarely by others.
    That's what I thought. The comics could've went into that after Magneto became her dad, yet didn't

Quote Originally Posted by Covetous_One View Post
    Jewish part was never a part of her really at all. She was pagan in comics. Mags is Jewish. Wanda was retconned in and out as his daughter so she's not even Jewish by descent.

Astonishing Member

Jewish part was never a part of her really at all. She was pagan in comics. Mags is Jewish. Wanda was retconned in and out as his daughter so she's not even Jewish by descent.
    Heck, wasn't she retconned into being his kid because his and Pietro's hair was the same? I remember that being the reason why an editor decided Sandman and Norman Obsorn needed to be cousins.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    Heck, wasn't she retconned into being his kid because his and Pietro's hair was the same? I remember that being the reason why an editor decided Sandman and Norman Obsorn needed to be cousins.
    That was also apparently by John Byrne.

Quote Originally Posted by The Agent of Chaos View Post
    That was also apparently by John Byrne.
    No it was by Bill Mantlo.