• Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    but being objective she was burned badly by Phoenix fire

And in terms of your assessment of forms of weather she controls we have to remember she just manipulate the energy that govern the weather. she should be able to manipulate fire as it's just a form of thermal energy at the end of the day.

that said i think in terms of extreme temps both from it being hot and cold she should have complete immunity even if 616 has shown otherwise.
    I wouldn't necessarily use that as definitive proof that Storm can be burned by flames as Phoenix fire is in no way, shape, or form normal fire. Had this been a mutant like Pyro or even Johnny himself I would consider it better evidence.

But I agree with you that at the very least Storm should be able to have enough control over normal flames for it to not be a big threat to her.

On the flip side of that coin I wonder if her resistant to heat was actually in play here since she got roasted by Phoenix and lived to tell the tale?

BANNED

She is immune with certain caveats. Her immunity is centered on storms connection to the planet, when she is in sync her powers make her immune, that's why she has so many global feats. The radiation, winds, cold don't affect her. But she does feel pain magneto wrestled lightning from her and she was hurt by it, a possessed Legion burned her and there are other instances. She can feel pain but she experiences no burned skin or other things that burn victims feel.

is she actually immune to these elements? she can still be blown away, she can still get wet. but at any rate she has deflected a blast of fire from idie before. not sure it was direct control or not but she would have to have done resistance to withstand being that close to a direct blast.

Maybe I shouldn't have said immune but highly resistance to weather effects not under her direct control.

I wouldn't be shocked to learn that her resistance to the elements is based on how hot (136 °F) or cold (-126 °F) the planet can naturally produce. That would be an interesting little connection with her link to the planet.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

BANNED

1.) The thing with Bobby's sexuality however was that it occurred initially in a team book and carried over into his solo. The same wasn't the case with Dr. Strange powers being wonky. Again where in that story where he used the bands of Cytorrak on ororo does it state his powers were on the fritz? It doesn't and therefore it's very likely none of what was occurring in his solo was taken into account when the writer wrote this encounter.
    It doesn't matter if it took place in one kind of book or another, all that matters is the frame of time this one event happens in, that's all that matters. And Dr. Strange's solo had started, to the best of my knowledge, months before this encounter happened... because this encounter happened months after Storm had her debut with that outfit which coencided with the launch of Strange's solo.

2.) Of course that's all you can see because anything that is perceived devaluing her abilities further your narrative of her being weaker than she actually is.
    At any rate if you we're to right click and select view image, you would see her attempting to harmonize her mind, body, and soul as she was attempting to maximize her abilities while on the brood planet. This is an admission that all of these aspects of her being are rewuired for her powers to work optimally. This directly contradicts your initial argument based upon your head canon.
    Unlike you who wants her to be the lord god allmightly, infinite in power and flawless in her perfection?
    I did and it was the same size.
    And it appears not to have worked since she's shown far better feats later on, has she not?

3.) What is it about Strange and Ororo that gives them the ability to survive such a move? Strange said it was due to their strength of spirit.
    There was no mention that she could only do it for a few moments or for several hours or for several years for that matter. The duration was not relevant and never mentioned and, this is information you are adding.
    The take away from this is that two cosmic entities (Stardust and silver surfer) did not have the spirit string enough to house eternity, yet Ororo did have the strength if spirit necessary to do this, which shows her spirit is infinitely strong as eternity is an infinite being.
    I necessary she was omnipotent or that her power is infinite but the potential has always been there for it to be as such, hence the images potential to RogueStorm and her being a potential omega mutant.
    Yes, take note of that: Strength of spirit. That means something, Strange was a normal dude who attained it. Ororo attained as well, not born with it. It's highly likely Jean also has it, along with Danny Rand... and Dr. Doom. Point is that it's not a super-unique ability to have, just that in that case, Strange and Strom were the only ones who had enough of it.
    If Strange says he and Storm are the only ones who have a chance of surviving it, then you are naturally not talking about hours or days, you are talking minutes at best. And yes, the duration is relevant, because Strange implies that it's urgent they do what they have to do here and now, not wait till they can get a better option.
    Two beings molded and reshaped to be able to handle the Power Cosmic but otherwise serve Galactus, that does not imply strength of spirit. And no, Storm is not infinitely strong in this area, but she is strong enough not to be burnt to ashed just from trying to do it.
    She's potentially an Omega Mutant, but that does not make her omnipotent.

4.) I'm not sure what point you are making about his mojo being lost.
    At any rate, there is no evidence was weak and not operating st full strength within the book when he encountered storm.
    My point is that since Marvel doesn't do bit continuity reboots like DC, Marvel has simply piled story upon story upon story, creating bigger and bigger contradictions throughout it's past.
    In his own book there was. Like I said, it does not need to be mentioned in this other book in order for it to still be there.

6.) You don't need to look at the potential future. You can look to 616 canon and what has happened.
    She is a potential omega mutant, which means she has the ability to potentially have access to limitless power. The reason she hasn't is due to her self imposed limits which is primarily a result of being a mutant.
    Except... you are not showing me the 616 canon future, because that future has not been written yet and even if it was written, it could be changed the day after into something else entirely. Storm turning into some gassy spirit is one of a dozen futures, no more valid or solid than the future where Cable, Bishop or Rachel were born in.
    Key word here, potential. Potential is not realization or embracing, it's just there as a maybe.

7.) I'm not sure i understand how a nova blast could hurt her when she channels lightning just as hot through her body on a regular. Not saying it wouldn't happen though but just acknowledging it doesn't make any sense.
    Storm is immune to the weather, not being set on fire. An exploding star is not weather, neither is Storm immune to basic energy attacks or stuff like a normal explosion.

8.) There have been at least 3 encounters I can think of where Ororo has downed Bobby. Two of those encounters she used lightning to ko him, and one she used wind. He was in his ice form in all three of those encounters so I don't see that as working in his favor.
    She hasn't downed a Bobby that's tapping into the deep end of his power, because he rarely taps into that end of it.

BANNED

The Omnipotent Storm!

BANNED

What if she can't dodge it, do you think she can take a direct hit?

exactly.

so no one else showed her being susceptible to extreme temps? I thought she froze one time in space and even mentioned she felt frozen this was Claremont who wrote her.

also I think she should be unaffected by his powers as well, especially considering what you mentioned but aside from lightning I've never seen her take a full fire blast. but I agree with your rationale as to why she should be.
    The time she was in deep space was different. She nearly died in the issue you are talking about. That story showed that she could only survive in space unaided for 30 seconds. They barely got to her in time.
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fk08_a_AUO...6SukYbqN=s1600
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/IfwcEC3gJb5...oc33JmVH=s1600
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/P-ZPHuoixXr...ZOLOdXPB=s1600

Note the scan saying that all of her life functions would terminate within the allotted 30 seconds. They got her at the last split second and were not sure she was going to survive. So, I could easily see her feeling frozen when they finally revived her from near-death. This is not anything cutting about her immunity to cold. Storm is flat out immune to cold.

So,

Quote Originally Posted by BlkGldBlu View Post
    I believe Storm is not immune to the elements.
    I believe certain things are auto regulated. And she channel most energy through her with a concious thought.

And to the scan with her and Johnny.
    It's all about timing. Johnny could have microwave her. Or exploded.
    But Storm for the Win.
    All Day.
    Your statement that Storm is not immune to the elements is correct, otherwise she would not be able to fly on the winds as the winds would not be able to move her. However, when written without being devalued, she cannot be directly harmed by the elements. In other words, she is immune to air friction when she's flying on the winds, she is immune to asphyxiation when she travels at high velocities, she is impervious to cold, lightning, and climate, etc...and she should be impervious to extreme heat as well, but she hasn't been shown to be. Legion was able to hurt her with a pyrokinetic blast, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Reigns View Post
    She is immune with certain caveats. Her immunity is centered on storms connection to the planet, when she is in sync her powers make her immune, that's why she has so many global feats. The radiation, winds, cold don't affect her. But she does feel pain magneto wrestled lightning from her and she was hurt by it, a possessed Legion burned her and there are other instances. She can feel pain but she experiences no burned skin or other things that burn victims feel.
    Magneto never wrestled lightning from her. She tried to wrestle it from him and failed because her body was severely damaged before she attempted to steal the lightning from him while he was at full power. Even still, it wasn't easy for him to keep the lightning from her eventhough her control over the elements (most notably lightning) wanes when her body is damaged. This has been shown in previous stories to the one you are referencing. Not only that, but as of Pak, Storm is flat out immune to lightning. The whole business about Storm being able to get hurt by lightning if she is caught by surprise never really made sense since catching her unawares like that should be impossible given her powerset.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    It doesn't matter if it took place in one kind of book or another, all that matters is the frame of time this one event happens in, that's all that matters. And Dr. Strange's solo had started, to the best of my knowledge, months before this encounter happened... because this encounter happened months after Storm had her debut with that outfit which coencided with the launch of Strange's solo.

Unlike you who wants her to be the lord god allmightly, infinite in power and flawless in her perfection?
    I did and it was the same size.
    And it appears not to have worked since she's shown far better feats later on, has she not?

Yes, take note of that: Strength of spirit. That means something, Strange was a normal dude who attained it. Ororo attained as well, not born with it. It's highly likely Jean also has it, along with Danny Rand... and Dr. Doom. Point is that it's not a super-unique ability to have, just that in that case, Strange and Strom were the only ones who had enough of it.
    If Strange says he and Storm are the only ones who have a chance of surviving it, then you are naturally not talking about hours or days, you are talking minutes at best. And yes, the duration is relevant, because Strange implies that it's urgent they do what they have to do here and now, not wait till they can get a better option.
    Two beings molded and reshaped to be able to handle the Power Cosmic but otherwise serve Galactus, that does not imply strength of spirit. And no, Storm is not infinitely strong in this area, but she is strong enough not to be burnt to ashed just from trying to do it.
    She's potentially an Omega Mutant, but that does not make her omnipotent.

My point is that since Marvel doesn't do bit continuity reboots like DC, Marvel has simply piled story upon story upon story, creating bigger and bigger contradictions throughout it's past.
    In his own book there was. Like I said, it does not need to be mentioned in this other book in order for it to still be there.

Except... you are not showing me the 616 canon future, because that future has not been written yet and even if it was written, it could be changed the day after into something else entirely. Storm turning into some gassy spirit is one of a dozen futures, no more valid or solid than the future where Cable, Bishop or Rachel were born in.
    Key word here, potential. Potential is not realization or embracing, it's just there as a maybe.

Storm is immune to the weather, not being set on fire. An exploding star is not weather, neither is Storm immune to basic energy attacks or stuff like a normal explosion.

She hasn't downed a Bobby that's tapping into the deep end of his power, because he rarely taps into that end of it.
    1.) Again, where was it mentioned in the team book where storm broke free his powers were not functioning properly? There is no proof the writer of the book was aware or took anything in account the events from his solo when that occurred.

2.) When did i say I wanted her to be perfect? I want her to explore her full potential, that's true, but only in context to the things established in 616.

3.)No there is no proof that any other character could have done it except those mentioned in the panel. You are once again trying to minimize the feat. What has any of those characters done that demonstrate they could be up to challenge only strabge and storm were capable of doing? In fact I would argue Jean definitely wouldnt have the spirit or will to house eternity. Look at how she was corrupted when she had the Phoenix. Colossus even reminded Ororo
    to do what Jean was unable to during rogue storm:

So you have just perfectly shown how you have a tendency to lowball storms ability, even when faced with irrefutable evidence from 616.

4.) But the fact it was mentioned elsewhere (ie his solo) doesn't support that his powers were not functional at 100% in this team even book. Most people rarely even read the peripheral or satellite books. If it wasn't captured or mentioned it's more likely what ever was happening in his solo wasn't relevant to the event book story.

5.) I know what potential is and that is the point I've only made that she has the potential for infinite power. Her housing eternity is an indication of that potential.

6.) I'm not sure storm is immune to weather but rather highly resistant. And storm has been exposed to radiation and hasn't been affected and I posted a scan of her dispersing a flame from Idie without being harmed. There is some resistance to fire and being burned.

7.)Doesn't matter as she want tapping into the deep end of her power when she beat him those three times. The point is she beat him.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Regarding Jean hosting the essence of Eternity like Ororo did, I don't buy it at all. That should be well BEYOND Jean Grey. Hosting the Phoenix Force has nothing to do with the strength of one's will/spirit, thus anybody can do it. At first, it had to do with the genetics of Jean and her progeny making them a suitable host for the PF, but then it expanded to other people being able to wield the PF besides Jean's bloodline, and now anybody can serve as host to the PF.

Hosting the essence of Eternity, as explained in that particular story where Ororo accomplished it, had to do with the strength of one's will/spirit. Jean Grey's strength of will, while strong, doesn't begin to compare with Ororo's. Also, I seriously don't buy Jean hosting Eternity if Silver Surfer couldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    The time she was in deep space was different. She nearly died in the issue you are talking about. That story showed that she could only survive in space unaided for 30 seconds. They barely got to her in time.
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fk08_a_AUO...6SukYbqN=s1600
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/IfwcEC3gJb5...oc33JmVH=s1600
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/P-ZPHuoixXr...ZOLOdXPB=s1600

Note the scan saying that all of her life functions would terminate within the allotted 30 seconds. They got her at the last split second and were not sure she was going to survive. So, I could easily see her feeling frozen when they finally revived her from near-death. This is not anything cutting about her immunity to cold. Storm is flat out immune to cold.
    how can you conclude she us immune to the cold when her mutant body wouldn't allow her to survive longer than 30 seconds? it would be one thing if she said she couldn't breathe but this was in relation to her feeling the effects of extremely cold temps.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Regarding Jean hosting the essence of Eternity like Ororo did, I don't buy it at all. That should be well BEYOND Jean Grey. Hosting the Phoenix Force has nothing to do with the strength of one's will/spirit, thus anybody can do it. At first, it had to do with the genetics of Jean and her progeny making them a suitable host for the PF, but then it expanded to other people being able to wield the PF besides Jean's bloodline, and now anybody can serve as host to the PF.

Hosting the essence of Eternity, as explained in that particular story where Ororo accomplished it, had to do with the strength of one's will/spirit. Jean Grey's strength of will, while strong, doesn't begin to compare with Ororo's. Also, I seriously don't buy Jean hosting Eternity if Silver Surfer couldn't do it.
    no jean wouldn't be able to do it. I already demonstrated with rogue storm the differences in the strength if their spirit.

BANNED

how can you conclude she us immune to the cold when her mutant body wouldn't allow her to survive longer than 30 seconds? it would be one thing if she said she couldn't breathe but this was in relation to her feeling the effects of extremely cold temps.
    There are numerous stories that state flat out that Storm is immune to cold. Also, she was dying in the vacuum in space at that time. There is more than just cold out there in space to hurt you. If your body is shutting down, its defintely going to affect her body temperature and everything else. Normally, her body temperature would remain constant despite the cold of her environment. I think its the fact that she came on the brink of death that was responsible for her feeling frozen.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/ygn5s7GAPlq...2rstW8lc=s1600

Notice in this scan how Ororo is surprised to even be feeling cold. She states how her body is immune to it. The reason in this case she was affected by the cold is because her bond with the Earth was fractured at the time. This had a negative affect on her powers. She became merely resistant to lightning instead of immune to it (even if she knew it was coming at her), her fine-tune control over the elements had diminished, and she could no longer detect the life force in living things. However, when her bond with the planet (or wherever she is) is fully in tact, she cannot be harmed by cold.

BANNED

I would say Ororo Munroe can take it.

BANNED

no jean wouldn't be able to do it. I already demonstrated with rogue storm the differences in the strength if their spirit.
    Agreed. I was just putting in my two cents in refuting what the other poster said in trying to minimize Storm's Eternity feat with his Jean argument.

There are numerous stories that state flat out that Storm is immune to cold. Also, she was dying in the vacuum in space at that time. There is more than just cold out there in space to hurt you. If your body is shutting down, its defintely going to affect her body temperature and everything else. Normally, her body temperature would remain constant despite the cold of her environment. I think its the fact that she came on the brink of death that was responsible for her feeling frozen.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/ygn5s7GAPlq...2rstW8lc=s1600

Notice in this scan how Ororo is surprised to even be feeling cold. She states how her body is immune to it. The reason in this case she was affected by the cold is because her bond with the Earth was fractured at the time. This had a negative affect on her powers. She became merely resistant to lightning instead of immune to it (even if she knew it was coming at her), her fine-tune control over the elements had diminished, and she could no longer detect the life force in living things. However, when her bond with the planet (or wherever she is) is fully in tact, she cannot be harmed by cold.
    so her immunity to the elements (lightning, cold and heat) is dependent on her communion with the planet she is on which i believe what chaos was saying. then how would she then be able to burn by fire??

BANNED

so her immunity to the elements (lightning, cold and heat) is dependent on her communion with the planet she is on which i believe what chaos was saying. then how would she then be able to burn by fire??
    Here is an earlier post I made on this same question from two pages ago:

"Storm has been impervious to cold under every writer save Lobdell who tried to make her merely resistant to cold. Then, on top of that, he only pulled that in one issue. Again, every writer before and after Lobdell has had her impervious to cold.

Regarding extreme heat, this is where you get stuff that doesn't make sense. Storm is immune to lightning. A single bolt of NATURALLY OCCURING lightning is 5x as hot as the surface of the sun. On top of that, Storm's lightning bolts are FAR more powerful than natural ones. She can generate bolts strong enough to punch a hole all the way down to the Morlock Tunnels (Morlocks live a thousand feet underground) or even blow up a Herald of Galactus. On top of this, we have seen Storm absorb into her body the full electrical power of an entire storm and have no problems whatsoever with the heat or electricity from all of that accumulated lightning compressed within the small space of her body. That said, she has been hurt by fire, but fire is much colder than lightning. Storm should be impervious to fire and plasma just like she is immune to cold.

Moving on, in the Storm vs. Torch thing, Torch should not be able to hurt her with his flame powers, to be honest. She should be impervious to his abilities. Secondly, she could easily neutralize his powers if she wanted to. In order for fire to exist, it requires air to burn. Robbed of that air, a fire will die out. If Storm wanted to beat Torch in a very easy fight, all she'd have to do is simply command the air to leave from around him and he would be powerless. Claremont had the fight drawn out like this just to give Storm a moment to show-off talking about how her winds can level mountains and lift buildings as she hefts the skyscraper in the air he tried to collapse on top of her while simultaneously tearing the building apart with her winds and burying him in the resulting rubble.."

Hope that answers your question. Fire hurts Storm in canon, but it doesn't make any sense for her to be vulnerable to it.
    Last edited by rutog98; 11-28-2017 at 09:25 PM.