Page 26 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    He just got appointed to managing editor at Heavy Metal.
    Congrats to Tim Seeley! Here's hoping the new job will be satisfying, enjoyable, and lucrative!!!!!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    He just got appointed to managing editor at Heavy Metal.
    That's awesome! Good for him.

I think he's one of the most underrated writers in the Biz. Hopefully working with Morrison helps him become more high profile.

Great news about Seeley. He deserves the success. Like @SiegePerilous said dude is Underrated

The whole idea with Nightwing is that it was Dick forming his "own" identity. Don't think it should EVER be passed onto anyone. And really, how difficult is it for Tim or Damian or anyone else to find their own name and concept for a new ID? It should be easy enough, they don't need to take on Nightwing. The moment they do, it WILL look like Nightwing is the ID that grown-up Robins who successfully graduate morph into. The next stop before moving onto Batman. Don't need that... Dick never intended it to be like that. If Dick is not going to be Nightwing, then there shall be no Nightwing. No cops running around as pretend-Nightwings and no usurpers and no heirs. Nightwing "retires" if Dick Grayson retires. Simple as that.

and yeah, congrats to Seeley!

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Now I want an Elseworlds where all the Robins and Batgirls go to an 80s style summer camp. I would love a Wet Hot American Summer style Elseworld.
    And would The Joker be a Jason Voorhees-type?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Schumiac View Post
    The whole idea with Nightwing is that it was Dick forming his "own" identity. Don't think it should EVER be passed onto anyone. And really, how difficult is it for Tim or Damian or anyone else to find their own name and concept for a new ID? It should be easy enough, they don't need to take on Nightwing. The moment they do, it WILL look like Nightwing is the ID that grown-up Robins who successfully graduate morph into. The next stop before moving onto Batman. Don't need that... Dick never intended it to be like that. If Dick is not going to be Nightwing, then there shall be no Nightwing. No cops running around as pretend-Nightwings and no usurpers and no heirs. Nightwing "retires" if Dick Grayson retires. Simple as that.
    Wouldnt mind there being a new nightwing down the line. But it should have its own legacy. Ive said it before and ill say it again, Dick is a great mentor, he needs a sidekick.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And would The Joker be a Jason Voorhees-type?
    I love this.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    Wouldnt mind there being a new nightwing down the line. But it should have its own legacy. Ive said it before and ill say it again, Dick is a great mentor, he needs a sidekick.
    Dick is a great mentor, definitely and maybe at some point he can have a sidekick but not yet. For now I would prefer him to go solo (well first he needs to get back of course). And when he does have a sidekick, and that sidekick grows up (and if I live to see that lol), I would prefer the sidekick to have their own new id. I feel like that is something Dick would encourage, that they be their very own unique person, forming their own ids.

BANNED

I love DCs take on legacy, it's what sets it apart from marvel, would hate it if they dropped that. And Batman had Robin right away, dick needs the same. It would help the character mature and grow into his own.

I love DCs take on legacy, it's what sets it apart from marvel, would hate it if they dropped that. And Batman had Robin right away, dick needs the same. It would help the character mature and grow into his own.
    Plus, at this point we could hardly say it was "right away" anyway. Dick has been a solo hero with an ongoing since 96. Thats 22 years.

Astonishing Member

The ideal sidekick for Dick would be Damian or Mari(if she existed in canon).

Dick has too much of the "Batman-lite" thing stuck to him, and him getting a sidekick like Batman is just going to feed into that. I don't feel his solo career has peaked yet. That needs to happen first.

Quote Originally Posted by Schumiac View Post
    Dick has too much of the "Batman-lite" thing stuck to him, and him getting a sidekick like Batman is just going to feed into that. I don't feel his solo career has peaked yet. That needs to happen first.
    If the only reason not to do something is because Batman does it, then Batman is dictating what happens in Nightwing no less than what we're seeing now. It's like the kid in high school who's way to concerned about not liking things just because the cool crowd does. Batman isn't the only hero to have a sidekick, either, so it's not like he'd just be copying Bruce. It'd be following along with a common theme of the DCU. His solo career has been around for 22 years. I'm not saying there isn't more story to mine out of that the concept, but it's certainly been long enough that we cant say Dick hasn't been on his own long enough.

But this is all very off topic. We have enough Dick threads in which to discuss this, which would be fun. Not trying to get the last work, just trying not to derail a thread about Tim and further. So back on topic:

Tim fans, what do you see as Tim's best role moving forward? Working more closely with Batman as his partner (an older Robin concept), leading a team like Young Justice, or doing something new entirely? I think his role is as important as his costumed identity

Tim fans, what do you see as Tim's best role moving forward? Working more closely with Batman as his partner (an older Robin concept), leading a team like Young Justice, or doing something new entirely? I think his role is as important as his costumed identity
    Tim would probably never had a solo again sadly, but i have been partial to the idea of him being some sort of private investigator in other city, mostly because Noir-Like detective stories is not something that current batbooks do much these days, so that could be a good niche. As for his identity, i really never give much thougth to it, Red Robin was fine with me, but i wasn't very attached to it either.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    If the only reason not to do something is because Batman does it, then Batman is dictating what happens in Nightwing no less than what we're seeing now. It's like the kid in high school who's way to concerned about not liking things just because the cool crowd does. Batman isn't the only hero to have a sidekick, either, so it's not like he'd just be copying Bruce. It'd be following along with a common theme of the DCU. His solo career has been around for 22 years. I'm not saying there isn't more story to mine out of that the concept, but it's certainly been long enough that we cant say Dick hasn't been on his own long enough.

But this is all very off topic. We have enough Dick threads in which to discuss this, which would be fun. Not trying to get the last work, just trying not to derail a thread about Tim and further. So back on topic:

It is not the only reason, it is one of the reasons though as Batman is the number one hero that comes to mind when you think of a hero with a sidekick. Dick doesn't need a sidekick the way Batman does (Robin was meant to lighten up Batman as a person and also the tone of the comic book, Nightwing doesn't suffer from Batman's darkness), it is one of the differences between them, so no need to copy what Batman does (or to use your analogy, we don't always have to do what the cool kids do, either, if it isnt our thing). And even though there is something neat in the guy who created the most iconic sidekick ID of them all getting one himself down the line (for he IS a good mentor), as I said, I don't think Dick's solo career should be done yet. DC hasn't made the best use of that. And being solo gives him a special kind of freedom where he isn't responsible for anyone and isn't necessarily bound to anywhere etc, I would rather he maintained that. He can be a semi-mentor to Damian where they interact more and maybe have common adventures together from time to time, as I do like seeing Dick interact with his Bat-family and he shares a special bond with Damian, but offical sidekick? Nope.

As for Tim. I was Ok with him being Red Robin as it was a homage to his Robin past. I would still be OK with the name but I understand that he might benefit from a brand new id all to himself. If he won't be Robin or Red Robin, the new id needs to be rather unique. Even if he gets to remain as Robin (doubt it) he is becoming too old to just be a sidekick, so down the line he will either have to retire or form a new id anyway. So might be best to do it now...