Page 70 of 73 FirstFirst ... 20606667686970717273 LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1087
    Fantastic Member

Not sure if its been discussed but was thinking of the roster for the mission.... while I understand it was a suicide mission sort of and those that went were the ones willing sp maybe others weren't willing to go, I still wonder if instead of characters like Husk and Archangel being there why not have Polaris and even Kitty. Her phasing thru controls and systems would have screwed with commands and electronics even if it was only for a distraction. And if Magneto wasn't going on the mission then Polaris is the next best thing being able to manipulate the em spectrum so her too. Might have actually been a better survival chance though the mission did get done

yea , why not send someone like Emma Frost , who simple could have everyone on the base sit quietly in a corner somewhere
    Wherever I Go , The Wind Follows...............................And The Wind , It Smells Like Rain

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa View Post
    yea , why not send someone like Emma Frost , who simple could have everyone on the base sit quietly in a corner somewhere
    They did have someone there that could have basically shut everyone other than Karima down. Two of them. But they didn't - so either the writing is bad or they were unable.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

They were unable because they were doing other important things. I think it would have been bad writing if everyone just went and sat in a corner when they arrived. Crafting a story has to be about more than mathematically divining what would happen next based on everything that’s ever happened in an X-Men comic; that sounds like a story writing itself. I thought this was a thrilling issue, with both sides reacting as well as they could to an ever-shifting, high stakes situation, littered with great character beats. I’ll take that over almost anything else.

The people who went on the mission are the people who Cyclops asked and who said yes, knowing the risks; I don’t think we’re owed more of an explanation than that. I can see how Magneto wouldn’t ask his daughter to go on a suicide mission, or how any of the leaders wouldn’t ask Kitty, basically everyone’s favorite daughter / kid sister. (Sorry Paige!) Emma was busy extracting Creed and also maybe she didn’t want to die that day. But really it’s as simple as, the recruitment happened off-panel and it went however Hickman says it went, to get to the more action-packed parts. Part of the fun is knowing just enough of the plan to know when it’s been dealt a setback.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Plus...I don't think the emotional beats he hit would have been more devastatingly poignant with any one else other than those he chose for that purpose.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    They did have someone there that could have basically shut everyone other than Karima down. Two of them. But they didn't - so either the writing is bad or they were unable.
    that base had so many top scientists from all top organizations that probably telepathy wasnt a big weapon there

Karima attacked Scott with nanoweapons that went right into his brains. I remember Ironman attacking Emma with nanoweapons that prevented her telepathy in AvX

This does seem an odd choice. Emma is not omega but Jean is calling into question the wisdom of the sacrifice. Emma would have no qualms about using her powers offensively. Jean was inclined to use the same power set to support operations. Odd choices...

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    This does seem an odd choice. Emma is not omega but Jean is calling into question the wisdom of the sacrifice. Emma would have no qualms about using her powers offensively. Jean was inclined to use the same power set to support operations. Odd choices...
    Jean did went with the plan

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    Well it could be Emma was busy freeing Creed at the time, Scott asked Jean first, or she simply didn't want to make the sacrifice play.

There are so many defenses of Hickmans choices, and therefore the characters choices,here that reflect comics themselves.

For every “they where surprised”, “suicide mission” or “right team” there are so many counter arguments. Most of them highly valid. Sadly none matters because we are discussing two different things.

Every issue could end with the X-men being surprised and therefore taken out. It’s not impossible though one can argue highly improbable. Hickman can write whatever he wants and it can be defended to infinitum.

It’s not should Jean be able to do this or that. Should she “let” this happen or not. It’s about what readers expect. Some expect her to be like Jean from Red, who almost could end this herself. Others expect her to be much lower level.

Hickman could/should have written that everyone was shielded in the station. He didn’t, either because he respects our intelligence or because he’s lazy. Probably more a side effect of widescreen comics, details are left out not to crowd the pages.

The team was odd because the X-men have such a large roster to choose from. So many who have exhibited creative uses of their powers over the years. Now we got no real reasoning behind why certain members where picked beyond “small team”.

We are on a forum where Storm is argumented to be as one of the most powerful and versitale powers on the earth. So many X-men have done so much over the years and they are having trouble with a group of renegade researchers on a remote space station. If one did this as a solo story for Captain America I say most wouldn’t bat a eyelash here.

The threat was not defined enough for us to be either surprised or prepared. we didn’t know what tech they had or how they where going to react. Neither did the X-men. We had 1-4 issues with some pages being spent on this station. The big threat was what was to come. Not them as they where now. So all we are left with is what we know about these mutants, and we know so much. So much that Hickman was in a tough spot.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    There are so many defenses of Hickmans choices, and therefore the characters choices,here that reflect comics themselves.

For every “they where surprised”, “suicide mission” or “right team” there are so many counter arguments. Most of them highly valid. Sadly none matters because we are discussing two different things.

Every issue could end with the X-men being surprised and therefore taken out. It’s not impossible though one can argue highly improbable. Hickman can write whatever he wants and it can be defended to infinitum.

It’s not should Jean be able to do this or that. Should she “let” this happen or not. It’s about what readers expect. Some expect her to be like Jean from Red, who almost could end this herself. Others expect her to be much lower level.

Hickman could/should have written that everyone was shielded in the station. He didn’t, either because he respects our intelligence or because he’s lazy. Probably more a side effect of widescreen comics, details are left out not to crowd the pages.

The team was odd because the X-men have such a large roster to choose from. So many who have exhibited creative uses of their powers over the years. Now we got no real reasoning behind why certain members where picked beyond “small team”.

We are on a forum where Storm is argumented to be as one of the most powerful and versitale powers on the earth. So many X-men have done so much over the years and they are having trouble with a group of renegade researchers on a remote space station. If one did this as a solo story for Captain America I say most wouldn’t bat a eyelash here.

The threat was not defined enough for us to be either surprised or prepared. we didn’t know what tech they had or how they where going to react. Neither did the X-men. We had 1-4 issues with some pages being spent on this station. The big threat was what was to come. Not them as they where now. So all we are left with is what we know about these mutants, and we know so much. So much that Hickman was in a tough spot.
    A very good and fair objective viewpoint on the discussion surrounding this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by GodfatherIV View Post
    Not sure if its been discussed but was thinking of the roster for the mission.... while I understand it was a suicide mission sort of and those that went were the ones willing sp maybe others weren't willing to go, I still wonder if instead of characters like Husk and Archangel being there why not have Polaris and even Kitty. Her phasing thru controls and systems would have screwed with commands and electronics even if it was only for a distraction. And if Magneto wasn't going on the mission then Polaris is the next best thing being able to manipulate the em spectrum so her too. Might have actually been a better survival chance though the mission did get done
    Maybe Scott wanted to avoid a potential heavy collateral death situation for those on board. Neither Emma nor Lorna would have been apt to pull their punches in this scenario after being buried by corpses due to Trask Sentinels.

Or perhaps someone intended for it to be a suicide mission when it didn’t have to be (other then Hickman lol). We may find out by the end of the series... or not.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-08-2019 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post

I have been reading some X-men theories on the internet lately. I think there might be a story reasoning why this team was chosen. Cyclops, Wolverine, Jean Grey, Archangel, Monet and Nightcrawler have all died before. Husk is only one I can't remember them dying. The reason I kind of latch on to the theory that I saw because it explains the multiple resurrections of over the years. Hickman seems to like a writer who would want to close down the loophole of all the X-men always coming back from dead and fix that aspect of franchise going into the future. The theory kind of explains why Jean is in that costume, Monet is Penance,Why Professor X had to keep a connection to the team in space and why never takes off the helmet.etc
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-08-2019 at 10:49 PM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I feel it's somewhere in the middle. The scene where they talk about Nightcrawler's teleportation range implies they have mutant counter-measures but the extent is never fully divulged.
    "Cable was right!"

If Sunspot can train his AIM minions for a couple of months to resist telepathy, ORCHID can.

Eventually Jean could have destroyed their defenses, obviously, but it is not as if they had all the time in the world and the idea was that Jean would go unnoticed to maintain the connection with the Earth, precisely because of that Monet sacrificed herself.