Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    When did that happen? I know he went to the circus as a kid but I don't remember him being there the night Dick's parents died.
    One retcon had Tim Drake present.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 07-02-2019 at 01:17 PM.

When did that happen? I know he went to the circus as a kid but I don't remember him being there the night Dick's parents died.
    It does ring a bell though...wasn't that in a show or an animated movie?

The retcon than Batman precedes Superman is something I really dislike.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Boisterously Confused

Pennysworth. Alfred Pennysworth.

C'mon people. I've loved the guy since I was a kid, but the butler-turns-out-to-have-been-MI6 is just a bit too much. A talented, but ordinary man who loves his quasi-son enough to support him through the madness is compelling enough to me.

(note: not sure if that one was actually a retcon, but the stretch seems far enough, and sudden enough to qualify)

No you're right, he was not there that night, but Lobdell did incorporate Jason seeing Dick at the Circus. Which had already been done with Tim.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    One retcon had Tim Drake present.
    Wasn't that part of Tim's original origin story, during A Lonely Place of Dying? Does that still count as a retcon? Sure, it adds a detail to Dick's origin story, but it doesn't actually change any pre-existing details.

Quote Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
    Wasn't that part of Tim's original origin story, during A Lonely Place of Dying? Does that still count as a retcon? Sure, it adds a detail to Dick's origin story, but it doesn't actually change any pre-existing details.
    Probably not (though the death scene plays out differently (clothes, etc.) in various versions). If Tim is roughly Jason's age, then he's 7 years younger than Dick. If Dick was 13 when his parents died, then Tim would be 6. If he's 2 years younger than Jason, then 4ish? But 13 was used in Post-Crisis (when Dick confronted Bruce about hiring Jason). And Jason was in 7th grade shorty before dying, so being close to 13 made sense. Later age changes muddied that up (Dick was 8, etc.). But Dick didn't seem 13 in that story, despite previous comments, and his age as orphaning has bounced about, though I don't know when that started. The biggest problem for me was putting Batman (rather than Bruce Wayne) at the circus. I mean, publicly, in front of entire audience. But I'm not at all sure this was the first version of the story to go that route (I just know the original didn't).
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-02-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    No you're right, he was not there that night, but Lobdell did incorporate Jason seeing Dick at the Circus. Which had already been done with Tim.
    That just seems like such an insignificant detail that I don't see the problem with it. It's not like Jason became Robin because he figured out who Batman and Robin because he watched the Flying Graysons. All it was is just a memory of kid and his deadbeat dad going to the circus one day.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Barry returning.
    Everything they did to Tim in New 52
    Wallace West
    Jason Todd being at the circus when Dick's parents died
    Diana not being born of clay
    New 52 Wonder Girl
    New 52 Superboy
    New 52 Kid Flash
    Supermans parents being dead
    Alan Scott and Ray Terrell being gay
    Batman not knowing his parents killer
    Cyborg being a JL founder and not a Teen Titan
    Barry's Return - Not sure if that is truly a retcon. Don't get me wrong...I love Barry. I'd be fine with him being back with two modifications. I'd have had him be semi-retired, spending time Iris and supervising the CSI lab. His Mom would be alive, and his parents' marriage quite happy.
    Tim in New 52: AGREED
    Wallace - Redundant. What I really disliked was Daniel West, his father.
    Jason Todd at the circus? Tim was already there in his origin. JT has no need to be there.
    Diana as daughter of Zeus - I don't hate it, it just seems unnecessary.
    New 52 WG/WB/KF - What a cluster youknowwhat.
    The Kents being dead is dumb after how well them being alive worked.
    Alan and Ray - Alan for sure, Ray I'm so so about.
    Batman should know who killed his parents, face them, and gain some small amount of healing from it. He can be lighted up a bit and still be the Bat.
    Cyborg on the JLA? Fine, he deserves it. Founder in place of J'onn and no longer a Titan? That harms both his character and J'onn's.

Gordon being young enough to replace Batman for a time.

Bringing back "A" Terra after the Judas Contract. Other dimensional or otherwise, just stop. It's too good of a story to mess with.

Wonder Woman being the daughter of Zeus and all the ugly designs of Azz's Olympian Gods, especially Hades, Ares and Apollo.

WW's God mode power.

Cyborg being an original member of the JLA. I also dislike his power change. He's basically a taxi service for the JLA now.

Cyborg still having daddy issues after decades. Let him grow him up already. Quit retelling the same tired origin stories.

Barry Allen returning from the dead. DC finally gets it right with a legacy character but decides to bring back Barry anyway. Wally grew up and fought with Barry. Wally deserves to be the Flash after Barry's demise unlike so many other characters that take over a mantle without ever knowing the oringial (Blue Beetle, Firestorm, Green Arrow, Kyle Rayner, basically every 90's and up replacement). Under Wally the Speed Force was created. Wally had his own villains to fight on top of Barry's old ones. He was his own man.

Revisiting Donna Troy's origin over and over again. WW rescued her as a baby, she grew up on Paradise Island, the Purple Ray gave her the same abilities as WW, let's move on.

Changeling changing his name back to Beast Boy. He can't be a kid forever. Name him Menagerie if you have to.

Raven being in high school. Back in the 80's she was taking college classes. 80 retcons later, she's a goth chick in high school. Let the Titans grow up. You have Young Justice to deal with pimples and dating problems.

Martian Manhunter not being a founder of the Justice League. He is the heart and soul of the team.

NU52 Black Canary using her canary cry to fly. Her name isn't Siryn.

Black Canary being an amazing singer in a band, because her powers are sonic based (shudder).

Chief being a bad guy. Maxwell Lord being a bad guy. Jericho being a bad guy. Killer Frost being a good guy. Basically anyone designed to be good going bad and vice versa.
    Last edited by Ropeburn; 07-02-2019 at 03:29 PM.
    Being a "Person of Interest" doesn't make you an interesting person.

Bringing back "A" Terra after the Judas Contract. Other dimensional or otherwise, just stop. It's too good of a story to mess with.
    Agreed. I think she needed to be a one-and-done villain (as did some others that got brought back, only stayed villains).

Barry's my Flash, so I like him back. And Iris not being dead, too.

Changeling changing his name back to Beast Boy. He can't be a kid forever.
    Not a retcon, but I agree.

Raven being in high school. Back in the 80's she was taking college classes.
    Agreed. How about giving her the name Rachel (as anything more than a cover)? And she and Gar should never have gone back to Teen Titans.

Martian Manhunter not being a founder of the Justice League. He is the heart and soul of the team.
    Eh, he was absent for most of my favorite run (first half of the '70s) , so that doesn't matter to me.

Black Canary being an amazing singer in a band, because her powers are sonic based (shudder).
    Agreed. I don't like the singer bit.

Extraordinary Member

The changes to James Gordon Jr. by Snyder.

I don't like the idea that one of the Best Batman stories (YEAR one) now ends with Batman saving the live of a future serial killer (instead of an innocent baby).

And the age of this character also annoys me. He should be based on the time line roughly the same age as Tim (probaly even one or two years younger) and something like 13 years younger than Barbara. And nor just a few years younger than Barbara.

Extraordinary Member

More Kryptonians exist post-crisis. Making Superman the 'last son' of Krypton really allowed them to expand the human cast and his relationships with them, and I will forever hold that the late-90s super-family of Steel, 90s Conner, and Linda is the best incarnation of the super-family. Jon doesn't bother me, but I feel having family that escaped Krypton as well ultimately does more to limit Superman than expand what can be done with him and is a big part of why the super-line has been so mediocre since the early 2000s.

Talia 'raped' Batman. Just ugh.

Identity Crisis. Just ... Identity Crisis ...

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post

Talia 'raped' Batman. Just ugh.
    Thankfully that's one retcon that has since been retconned. Peter Tomasi fixing Morrison's gross error.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Another big retcon I hate is Barry Allen being the generator of the Speed Force.
    It was STUPID when it was first introduced, and it's STILL stupid now.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.