Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    See, I do think his and much of the Flash's rogues are lame. Interestingly there is a lot of overlap between them to boot. Apparently dudes with heat and cold guns were very popular at one point.

Aquaman does NOT have a lame rogues gallery,especially under PADs pen
    What overlap?

What about Arsenal? I can't even find anyone I'd say is a true enemy of his.

Let's see, of the Big 7:
    Superman, Batman, Flash, and Green Lantern all have pretty killer rogues.
    Wonder Woman's is relatively weak for an A-Lister. Cheetah, Circe, Dr. Psycho, Ares, Giganta and Dr. Minerva all rock, but considering that she's been around, it should be heftier. Still, it's not lame, and most of her B-list villains have a lot of potential.

Aquaman's is, um, not great. Once you push past Black Manta and Ocean Master, it thins pretty quickly.
    J'Onn's is practically non-existent, frankly. So yeah, his sucks.

Of the next batch of Silver Age leaguers (Green Arrow, Hawkman, and the Atom), it's kind of a toss-up of mediocrity. Atom had a few winners (Chronos, Floronic Man, Bug-Eyed Bandit, Jean :/), but not a lot. Similarly Hawkman has some memorable ones (Shadow Thief, Matter Master, IQ, Chac, Gentleman Ghost, the Man-Hawks, not to mention all of Thanagar at one point), but it's not the deepest bench. Still, I think Green Arrow probably wins for all-over lameness in this bunch. After Count Vertigo, Clock King, and Merlyn, the list starts drying up. Onomatopoeia, Brick, and Drakon are great later additions, but it's still not a great list for a character that's been published for 80 years.

Black Canary has a very weak rogue's gallery, probably a consequence of her being attached to the hip to Ollie for a couple of decades.

Elongated Man, Red Tornado, and Zatanna have never had a long-running solo series, so it's understandable that their rogues are underdeveloped.

Firestorm had a damn spiffy rogues gallery. I think half of them got killed off in Suicide Squad

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    That's because Arsenal isn't a solo hero.

Incredible Member

Aquaman and Green Arrow are pretty self explanatory. Especially with how prominent they are now. Other than Ocean Master, Black Manta, Merlyn, Count Vertigo, and maybe Onomatopoeia, writers and even fans don't seem to care about them.

Diana's rogue gallery is frustrating because a writer will have wrote one particular villain pretty well and then other writers rarely follow up on it. Simone's Giganta and Jimenez's Angle Man come to mind. Circe and Psycho (and maybe pre Azz Ares) are probably the most consistent across writers and books.

And poor Dick has had like 300 issues to get a rogue gallery but the dude can't keep villains to save his life. They either die because nobody cared about them, get moved to other batfamily members, or just go into limbo. Dixon messed up real bad when he made most of them assassins with a theme. I get he was doing it to have a central villain and have the others more branching off, but they were all so dull. And quite frankly as horrible as Grayson's run was, she gave more way more character/personality to characters he created in addition to the ones she's created. Then the rest of pre new 52 was meandering, and new 52 to now hasn't really done wonders for him. Dick and Slade's ~30 year rivalry/relationship got ignored and then chipped away and given to other batfamily members. Snyder made James Jr to be Dick's mirror but only Babs uses him due to the evil relative angle so there's another one gone. They keep pushing William Cobb, which I get, the evil relative angle can give the character/relationship a better chance at some pathos (esp compared to the others..), but nothing with the dude has been great.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I’ve come to the conclusion that you really only need 4-9 rogues for a decent rogue’s gallery. Any less it starts to get repetitive any more you start to get thematic repeats( Do you really need the Riddler and Cluemaster?) 6 or 7 is ideal because you have enough slots to house a nice variety of types of threats ( both physical and mental), without feeling like half the gallery is underused. It’s also worth mentioning that though Batman and Spider-Man have huge galleries it’s really only about 9 of their villains that get any major amount of page time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That's because Arsenal isn't a solo hero.

Not a good excuse.

Roy Harper has been around since the 1940s.

He should have, at least, 4 villains of his own.

This is just DC dropping the ball again.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 01-13-2022 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M L A View Post
    And poor Dick has had like 300 issues to get a rogue gallery but the dude can't keep villains to save his life. They either die because nobody cared about them, get moved to other batfamily members, or just go into limbo. Dixon messed up real bad when he made most of them assassins with a theme. I get he was doing it to have a central villain and have the others more branching off, but they were all so dull. And quite frankly as horrible as Grayson's run was, she gave more way more character/personality to characters he created in addition to the ones she's created. Then the rest of pre new 52 was meandering, and new 52 to now hasn't really done wonders for him. Dick and Slade's ~30 year rivalry/relationship got ignored and then chipped away and given to other batfamily members. Snyder made James Jr to be Dick's mirror but only Babs uses him due to the evil relative angle so there's another one gone. They keep pushing William Cobb, which I get, the evil relative angle can give the character/relationship a better chance at some pathos (esp compared to the others..), but nothing with the dude has been great.
    Dick's harem is more well developed than his rogue gallery.

Mighty Member

In JLA v.1 n.61, Aquaman had an "old foe", Cutlass Charlie, who had never appeared before. Or since.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Not a good excuse.
    No, it isn't. There are plenty of heroes who serve on teams that also have their own stories.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Not a good excuse.
    It's the perfect excuse. Roy has never been a solo character. He has either been a Titan or a Green Arrow supporting character. He does not have a rogues gallery nor should he be expected to have one. It's like asking why Jubilee or Steve Trevor don't have rogues galleries. You're asking something of them that should not be expected to begin with.

No, it isn't. There are plenty of heroes who serve on teams that also have their own stories.
    Having their own stories and having a rogues gallery are not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    Let's see, of the Big 7:
    Superman, Batman, Flash, and Green Lantern all have pretty killer rogues.
    Wonder Woman's is relatively weak for an A-Lister. Cheetah, Circe, Dr. Psycho, Ares, Giganta and Dr. Minerva all rock, but considering that she's been around, it should be heftier.
    Do you mean she should have more villains? If so, her rogues gallery is much larger than that. if you mean good villains, it is around the same number as Superman and definitely more than Green Lantern who pretty much has only Sinestro.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Do you mean she should have more villains? If so, her rogues gallery is much larger than that. if you mean good villains, it is around the same number as Superman and definitely more than Green Lantern who pretty much has only Sinestro.
    I wasn't talking about quantity, I was more interested in quality. WW has a lot of villains, but there was a whole period (especially during the 50's-60's) when the quality of the introduced villains was, politely, not good. I *did* forget about Silver Swan and Angle Man, though... they're solid.

Green Lantern, even if you discount the Golden Age version, has a reasonably cracking set of core rogues - Sinestro, Krona, Hector Hammond, Doctor Polaris, Star Sapphire, the Qwardians, the OG Shark, Mrywhdden (okay, maybe not him), Evil Star, Tattooed Man, Black Hand, Nekron... and that's before you start adding the more recent gang.

I've got nothing against WW's rogues in general, and I think a lot of them can be dusted off and made interesting (heck, even Egg-Fu made a comeback a decade or so ago). It's just that a lot of them have a whole lot of lameness to overcome.

How about any of the Watchmen?

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    I wasn't talking about quantity, I was more interested in quality. WW has a lot of villains, but there was a whole period (especially during the 50's-60's) when the quality of the introduced villains was, politely, not good. I *did* forget about Silver Swan and Angle Man, though... they're solid.

Green Lantern, even if you discount the Golden Age version, has a reasonably cracking set of core rogues - Sinestro, Krona, Hector Hammond, Doctor Polaris, Star Sapphire, the Qwardians, the OG Shark, Mrywhdden (okay, maybe not him), Evil Star, Tattooed Man, Black Hand, Nekron... and that's before you start adding the more recent gang.

I've got nothing against WW's rogues in general, and I think a lot of them can be dusted off and made interesting (heck, even Egg-Fu made a comeback a decade or so ago). It's just that a lot of them have a whole lot of lameness to overcome.
    To each their own. Personally, I'm not seeing what is so impressive about most of the guys you mentioned. The only ones I'd say are worth a damn are Sinestro, Krona, Star Sapphire and Nekron. Tattooed Man is certainly not who I would call a top tier villain.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-18-2022 at 08:55 PM.