Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

X-Men: Marvel Brings Back Madelyne Pryor in New Mutants arc 'The Labors of Magik'

The Goblin Queen is about to make her return to Krakoa in January's New Mutants #25. Marvel Comics has provided ComicBook.com with the first look at two covers to the issue, which kicks of the new story arc "The Labors of Magik." Leinil Francis Yu's main cover features Magik. Dan Panosian's variant features Madelyne Pryor. Billed as "the perfect jumpin-on point for fans new and old," the issue catches up with Illyanna Rasputin. She's been busy pulling double duty as one of the Great Captains of Krakoa and ruling over the hell dimension of Limbo (not to mention training mutant youths). But things are about to get even more complicated for her when the Goblin Queen shows back up on Krakoa.

Previously, the Quiet Council of Krakoa ruled against resurrecting the Goblin Queen because she's a clone of Jean Grey. But the Five overruled the Council in a similar case regarding Scout. In the most recent Hellions issue, Emma Frost told Havok she'd support bringing Maddie back. It seems Alex Summers is getting his way, which could be trouble for Limbo's current monarch.

NEW MUTANTS #25
    VITA AYALA (W) • ROD REIS (A) • Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
    Variant Cover by DAN PANOSIAN
    THE LABORS OF MAGIK START HERE!
    The big two-five is here — and it's the perfect jumping-on point for fans new and old! Illyana Rasputin is the Sorcerer Supreme and the rightful queen of Limbo…but she's been awfully busy on Krakoa. Someone's got their eye on the throne — and Magik isn't the only queen in mutantdom. Vita Ayala and Rod Reis rekindle an old flame for a whole new generation of Magik lovers!

I am now officially against Illyana becoming sorcerer supreme of earth. Even as a die-hard fan of the character I am against them trying to have it both ways. The solicit could be taken to mean sorcerer supreme - plus ruler of Limbo, or sorcerer supreme and ruler of Limbo. I'm choosing to take it as the latter

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Its way past time that she become the Sorceress Supreme
    When the hell did Magik become the Sorcerer Supreme? Its something Ive been wanting

Extraordinary Member

When the hell did Magik become the Sorcerer Supreme? Its something Ive been wanting
    It's possible that they're spoiling the ending to Death of Doctor Strange. It's more likely they just mean that they mean she's the Sorcerer Supreme of Limbo. We'll find out in December when Dr. Strange's replacement is named.

I'm actually ecstatic right right. This sounds like exactly the kind of story I've wanted to see for Illyana since the Krakoa era started. Between this and DC launching Batgirls I'm getting so much of what I actually want this winter.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 10-19-2021 at 01:42 PM.

Two of my favorite x woman, I wish in a decent plot line for Yana and a new plot for Maddie and not a cliche to her, but if I can admit... I hate when yu draw illyana

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    X-Men: Marvel Brings Back Madelyne Pryor in New Mutants arc 'The Labors of Magik'

The Goblin Queen is about to make her return to Krakoa in January's New Mutants #25. Marvel Comics has provided ComicBook.com with the first look at two covers to the issue, which kicks of the new story arc "The Labors of Magik." Leinil Francis Yu's main cover features Magik. Dan Panosian's variant features Madelyne Pryor. Billed as "the perfect jumpin-on point for fans new and old," the issue catches up with Illyanna Rasputin. She's been busy pulling double duty as one of the Great Captains of Krakoa and ruling over the hell dimension of Limbo (not to mention training mutant youths). But things are about to get even more complicated for her when the Goblin Queen shows back up on Krakoa.

Previously, the Quiet Council of Krakoa ruled against resurrecting the Goblin Queen because she's a clone of Jean Grey. But the Five overruled the Council in a similar case regarding Scout. In the most recent Hellions issue, Emma Frost told Havok she'd support bringing Maddie back. It seems Alex Summers is getting his way, which could be trouble for Limbo's current monarch.

NEW MUTANTS #25
    VITA AYALA (W) • ROD REIS (A) • Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
    Variant Cover by DAN PANOSIAN
    THE LABORS OF MAGIK START HERE!
    The big two-five is here — and it's the perfect jumping-on point for fans new and old! Illyana Rasputin is the Sorcerer Supreme and the rightful queen of Limbo…but she's been awfully busy on Krakoa. Someone's got their eye on the throne — and Magik isn't the only queen in mutantdom. Vita Ayala and Rod Reis rekindle an old flame for a whole new generation of Magik lovers!

I am now officially against Illyana becoming sorcerer supreme of earth. Even as a die-hard fan of the character I am against them trying to have it both ways. The solicit could be taken to mean sorcerer supreme - plus ruler of Limbo, or sorcerer supreme and ruler of Limbo. I'm choosing to take it as the latter
    In the past I would have been okay with it if it gave her a solo series but now I rather she make no appearances at all than have her be written poorly since whatever mistakes a writer makes with her can last forever and change her canon.
    Last edited by ComeOnBunny; 10-19-2021 at 04:16 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peace View Post
    Two of my favorite x woman, I wish in a decent plot line for Yana and a new plot for Maddie and not a cliche to her, but if I can admit... I hate when yu draw illyana
    Yeah keep Maddie away from the Summers family! I could see her becoming a rival/enemy to Magik though and I think that would work.

Does this mean NM continues for just this story or that it's staying? Seems odd no other NM characters were mentioned. So maybe this is a solo arc for Magik?

And Sorcerer Supreme!? Marvel wouldn't spoil it like that would they?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Yeah keep Maddie away from the Summers family! I could see her becoming a rival/enemy to Magik though and I think that would work.

Does this mean NM continues for just this story or that it's staying? Seems odd no other NM characters were mentioned. So maybe this is a solo arc for Magik?

And Sorcerer Supreme!? Marvel wouldn't spoil it like that would they?
    I highly doubt they're going to turn New Mutants into a stealth solo title especially since Vita has been killing it juggling such a large cast. Chances are the first issue just has more of a focus on Magik and Maddie.

Its just a poorly written solicitation.
    " Illyana Rasputin is the Sorcerer Supreme and the rightful queen of Limbo"
    These are two statements structurally placed in a manner that implies they are separate or unlinked, but simply identifying her status within Limbo.
    It should say "Illyana Rasputin is both the Sorcerer Supreme of Limbo, and its rightful Queen"

Extraordinary Member

The title of this storyarc seems to be a deliberate reference to the 12 Labors of Hercules, giving it more of a mythic air than the current New Mutants book has had under any of its writers.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I'm here for it ALL! I've long-missed my favourite Demon Sorceress doing magic and stuff.
    And now I have two, both in the same book.
    I've always secretly wanted Maddie to challenge a Hell-Lord for a dominion, and while it's not Mephisto, Illyana is the close second best.

My only hope is that Vita, writes her a little more serious and focused and deadly than she's being written currently. Limbo and Illyana's status as Queen is at stake.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 10-20-2021 at 05:43 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

From the Death of Doctor Strange:

spoilers:
    There was a new character introduced in the Death of Doctor Strange today, called "Crown", and she has a sword that looks very much like the Soulsword of Illyana. And she has horns and a crown. Do you think this character will have a connection with Magik? or at least with Limbo?
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

It seems that Limbo is one of the dimensions that was attacked. But horns and magic swords are pretty generic in Marvel, so I doubt there's any connection that. Plus the soul sword looks completely different from artist to artist so it's impossible for another sword to definitively look like it.

Extraordinary Member

The cover to Savage Avengers 28 in January, the last issue of the book.

savage avengers.jpg

Extraordinary Member

After today's issue of Inferno there's a lot of talk about how Emma is super pissed at how Xavier, Magneto, and Moira have possibly manipulated her for years. Could they have done the same to Illyana?

We see that Illyana existed as Magik in at least one of Moira's previous lives. Her becoming Magik is the result of very specific circumstances involving the island Magneto used as a base and which the X-Men used after the mansion was attacked by the Hellfire Club. Moira had to have known about the island from her past life and could have warned the X-Men not to use it or even Magneto to leave it under the sea so as to keep Belasco and Limbo far away from Illyana, the X-Men, and the world at large. Xavier may have known from reading Moira's mind, but maybe he didn't get everything. Either way, the first thing he did with Illyana when she emerged from Limbo was to ship her off to Muir Island to be Moira's problem. Were Moira and Xavier playing a long game to ensure Illyana became the most powerful asset she could possibly be?

Then there's the Legacy Virus. If that existed in any of Moira's previous lives, then it was also probably cured in those lives, and Moira would have deliberately held back the cure and let little Illyana die, as well as all of the other people who died from the disease until it was finally cured. She used it as a cover to fake her own death, but could she have had another motive? The resurrection protocols were already being prepared. Could Moira, having already ensured Illyana would be taken to Limbo to be trained as a demon sorceress, have allowed her child version to die so that they could bring back a back-up of her older, more magically-inclined self?

We know that Moira, Xavier, and Magneto knew of threats like Mr. Sinister, Apocalypse, and the Phoenix beforehand. And we know that they have been willing to lie, manipulate, and do all sorts of unscrupulous things in pursuit of their larger goals. When it comes to Illyana, in a sense they lucked out that Belasco brought her back when he did and that she wasn't either a kid who hung out with other kids like Fauna or had to be brought back now with her mindset what it was back in the 80s when she tended to run from all her problems. The retcons leave a lot of room to speculate that this could be more by design than not. And if it turns out that anyone knew she would be abducted to Limbo and let it happen so she'd be stronger, or that anyone let her younger self die in order to bring back her older self, there will be hell to pay if she ever finds out.

From an upcoming issue of Death of Doctor Strange...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVeEGYGq..._web_copy_link