Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Uh, no. I really wouldn't.
    Well you wouldn't and you would think that at some point they would have wised up and learned from the mistake that came before that lead to their current state where they are just limping along trying to stay alive and actually find a way to recover.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Well you wouldn't and you would think that at some point they would have wised up and learned from the mistake that came before that lead to their current state where they are just limping along trying to stay alive and actually find a way to recover.
    Again, no. I really wouldn't.

Again, no. I really wouldn't.
    Okay fine but why wouldn't you think DC and Marvel wouldn't have died by now thanks to their own stupidity?

Ultimate Member

Okay fine but why wouldn't you think DC and Marvel wouldn't have died by now thanks to their own stupidity?
    Just to come in (because i know this isn't directed at me) but comics sales are higher now than some years ago. There's a fundamental difference between disagreeing with a creative choice and labeling said choice a mistake. For example, I disagreed with Jane Foster becoming Thor (at that time) but one can't label this a mistake because the title was pretty good and sales were solid throughout the entire run.

That being said, DC is selling A LOT more now than pre-new 52, so that means they are doing something right. I can't imagine too many people will drop Batman because he didn't get married to Catwoman (personally, I knew this wedding wouldn't happen). Heck, Marvel has even maintained their market share dominance despite the heavy push back they received in the last few years.

People complaining online does not at all translate to people not actually buying the books. Marvel and DC are putting out good stuff and I think a lot of fans actually appreciate that.
    Last edited by Username taken; 07-06-2018 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Just to come in (because i know this isn't directed at me) but comics sales are higher now than some years ago. There's a fundamental difference between disagreeing with a creative choice and labeling said choice a mistake. For example, I disagreed with Jane Foster becoming Thor (at that time) but one can't label this a mistake because the title was pretty good and sales were solid throughout the entire run.

That being said, DC is selling A LOT more now than pre-new 52, so that means they are doing something right. I can't imagine too many people will drop Batman because he didn't get married to Catwoman (personally, I knew this wedding wouldn't happen). Heck, Marvel has even maintained their market share dominance despite the heavy push back they received in the last few years.

People complaining online does not at all translate to people not actually buying the books. Marvel and DC are putting out good stuff and I think a lot of fans actually appreciate that.
    That's interesting either the core audience for comics has gotten higher over the last couple of years or there are more readers for comics than expected from an industry that has been limping along the past thirty or so years.

Ultimate Member

That's interesting either the core audience for comics has gotten higher over the last couple of years or there are more readers for comics than expected from an industry that has been limping along the past thirty or so years.
    The industry has experienced peaks and valleys but I don't think it's limping along.

Certainly not for 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The industry has experienced peaks and valleys but I don't think it's limping along.

Certainly not for 30 years.
    Well things certainly got crazy after the Comic Book Market crash and the industry apparently still has yet to truly recover from it not even independent comic book companies are immune to the lingering effects of the crash. And to top it all of fifty comic book stores have close last year alone not a very good sign.

Well things certainly got crazy after the Comic Book Market crash and the industry apparently still has yet to truly recover from it not even independent comic book companies are immune to the lingering effects of the crash. And to top it all of fifty comic book stores have close last year alone not a very good sign.
    This is like trying to point to Tower Records or Blockbuster stores closing as a sign of that music/movies aren't in such great shape.

You've got to ignore quite a bit of the bigger picture to do it.

This is like trying to point to Tower Records or Blockbuster stores closing as a sign of that music/movies aren't in such great shape.

You've got to ignore quite a bit of the bigger picture to do it.
    Well my mistake then still something did go very wrong in order for so many stores to close in one year alone. Either it was the store owner's fault or the people they are distributing products for.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 07-06-2018 at 05:34 AM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Well that's what you do I'm mind boggled by how DC and Marvel still sell and some people think it's their fault for creating a culture where people still buy from them regardless of any feelings of disrespect. As far as buying anything from them i generally refrain from comic book collecting in general because of how expensive it can be in the long over here they cost twelve Ringgit for a floppy.
    What else could you buy for twelve Ringgit? Here, you can buy two McDonald's sandwiches for the price of most floppies.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    What else could you buy for twelve Ringgit? Here, you can buy two McDonald's sandwiches for the price of most floppies.
    Two plates of rice with dishes at local restaurants. Yeah and that's the difference between living in a third world country that has pretended to try and be a first world country and one that is a first world country everything in the first world country is cheaper than it would be over here. And floppies are not something I can afford often.

Two plates of rice with dishes at local restaurants. Yeah and that's the difference between living in a third world country that has pretended to try and be a first world country and one that is a first world country everything in the first world country is cheaper than it would be over here. And floppies are not something I can afford often.
    I wish I could afford two plates of rice with an entree here for four dollars!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

I wish I could afford two plates of rice with an entree here for four dollars!
    They also charge depending on how much you pile on your plate I've been charged seven Ringgit for a plate of rice with dishes. And that's unfortunate but if you bought from over here it would be cheaper when my aunt and uncle from England come here they shop for clothes and like because they are a lot cheaper here.

They also charge depending on how much you pile on your plate I've been charged seven Ringgit for a plate of rice with dishes. And that's unfortunate but if you bought from over here it would be cheaper when my aunt and uncle from England come here they shop for clothes and like because they are a lot cheaper here.
    True. I'm always curious about the actual buying power/worth of things in other places.

True. I'm always curious about the actual buying power/worth of things in other places.
    Well now you know some of the things that would cost a lot if you were a citizen here though i admit i think I forgot something and just remembered that floppies don't cost twelve ringgit here but rather nearly ten ringgit.