Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The X-Men constantly being at war with the Avengers and sub groups. I don't want them having conflict with the Avengers, Inhumans and now the Eternals.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by youthoftoday View Post
    Secret identities need to go away. The amount a security camera's in NYC alone would allow someone to figure out that Peter is Spider-man in like 15. It opens up way more potential story lines and he doesn't need to be a loser who can't keep his job and is always letting down his friend. It just never made sense that like 90% of other superheroes are known to the public so they have to deal with their families being at risk, what is so special about him that he can't deal with it like everyone else does. Yes, I know this is whole basis of the character, but its been 60 years. Time to change.

Secret identities itself is fine, but there's a fine line of preserving it from really important supporting cast members. Like with Ms. Marvel, I hated that Saladin Ahmed's first arc saw him have Kamala's dad learn her secret only to immediately hit the retcon button at the end of the arc.

Looking over at Spider-Man, the Beyond arc has really broken my suspension of disbelief where Peter wound up hospitalized twice in this storyline and had to come up with a BS excuse to explain to Aunt May why he was in the hospital. Why is the status quo of Aunt May being kept in the dark so important? Hell, looking back during BND it even came across as scummy that even though Marvel was gung ho about pushing Carlie Cooper is the new "the one" Peter kept bending over backwards to lie about who he was, even going as far as to pretend to be clumsy to make himself more endearing to her.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 04-01-2022 at 10:55 AM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The X-Men constantly being at war with the Avengers and sub groups. I don't want them having conflict with the Avengers, Inhumans and now the Eternals.
    This here. It's so worn out. The Phoenix also is very worn out and could probably use a vacation.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by youthoftoday View Post
    Secret identities need to go away. The amount a security camera's in NYC alone would allow someone to figure out that Peter is Spider-man in like 15. It opens up way more potential story lines and he doesn't need to be a loser who can't keep his job and is always letting down his friend. It just never made sense that like 90% of other superheroes are known to the public so they have to deal with their families being at risk, what is so special about him that he can't deal with it like everyone else does. Yes, I know this is whole basis of the character, but its been 60 years. Time to change.
    I agree that it would be next to impossible for someone who had to physically change into a costume and don a mask in a public place to keep their identity secret. The world's population has doubled since the 1960s and I read somewhere that upwards of 96% of the people in urban areas have cell phones. If they didn't catch Spidey changing, someone would definitely catch him webbing from a common locus and track his route based on his most common appearances and frequent point of origin. And don't even get me started on the various ways that government agencies can track a routinely public individual in an urban area, if they have a mind to do so.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 04-02-2022 at 09:17 AM.

Race War analogies and hero vs. hero story arcs seems to carry the day for most Marvel writers, unfortunately. It's been that way since the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Peter Parker striking Mary Jane during Clone Saga. If this dreaded storyline is never gonna die, and least undo that horrific incident.
    That's not a status quo. Hell, it only happened once and Marvel has never mentioned it again afterwards.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Race War analogies and hero vs. hero story arcs seems to carry the day for most Marvel writers, unfortunately. It's been that way since the beginning.
    I guess I should be happy sentient AI never became a race like it was suppose to because the X-men would have went to war with them too.

I guess I should be happy sentient AI never became a race like it was suppose to because the X-men would have went to war with them too.
    Well.. some of the Sentinels are just that.... AIs

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Too late. That kind of already happened in Hellions by Zeb Wells.

As for the X-Men/mutants being at war with everybody else, that's only because everybody else is either at war with them or pointedly ignoring that there is a war going on at all so they can lecture from a proverbial moral high horse. In relation, a status quo I'd like to see die is humankind being so over-the-top bigoted toward mutants they collectively countenance repeated attempts at genocide against mutants that have done nothing but alienate even the more heroic among them from the human race in general. If Marvel wanted readers to feel that there was hope for peace, love, and mutual understanding between humans and mutants, then the stories should have a bit more nuance than just portraying humans on the whole as irredeemable bigots who'll do anything to eradicate mutants and will consistently spit in mutants' eyes (proverbially if not literally speaking) no matter how many times teams like the X-Men save their lives. Of course, 21st-century Marvel's idea of "nuance" is making everyone on both sides an @$$hole so there's no reason to root for anyone except whoever readers happen to like better or identify with more, and at some point(s), those readers might well end up wishing both sides would take each other out and leave everyone else alone.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Well.. some of the Sentinels are just that.... AIs
    Technically, the Sentinels are just weapons in humanity's proxy war against mutants. But the X-Men have fought against the Phalanx, which are an AI/cybernetic species.

I don't think the X-men have skipped a beat in terms of which tribe is l'ennemi du jour. It's why it's so damn disturbing that the X-Men are on this isolationist bent and refusing to integrate or adopt external cultural norms in any way, shape or form. They are creating their own version of a "pure" society. And a powerful one at that. Whenever that has happened throughout human history, atrocities surely followed.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Of course, 21st-century Marvel's idea of "nuance" is making everyone on both sides an @$$hole so there's no reason to root for anyone except whoever readers happen to like better or identify with more, and at some point(s), those readers might well end up wishing both sides would take each other out and leave everyone else alone.
    This is so true.

Technically, the Sentinels are just weapons in humanity's proxy war against mutants. But the X-Men have fought against the Phalanx, which are an AI/cybernetic species.

I don't think the X-men have skipped a beat in terms of which tribe is l'ennemi du jour. It's why it's so damn disturbing that the X-Men are on this isolationist bent and refusing to integrate or adopt external cultural norms in any way, shape or form. They are creating their own version of a "pure" society. And a powerful one at that. Whenever that has happened throughout human history, atrocities surely followed.
    And the Xmen already have sources for said atrocities. Well... Essex already started committing atrocities actually. He's been using clones of Moira to send messages to his past self. This of course requires killing the clones.... repeatedly

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Iron Fist loosing his powers and regaining them.
    Wait, how many times has this happened?

I agree that it would be next to impossible for someone who had to physically change into a costume and don a mask in a public place to keep their identity secret. The world's population has doubled since the 1960s and I read somewhere that upwards of 96% of the people in urban areas have cell phones. If they didn't catch Spidey changing, someone would definitely catch him webbing from a common locus and track his route based on his most common appearances and frequent point of origin. Adn don't even get me started on the various ways that government agencies can track a routinely public individual in an urban area, if they have a mind to do so.
    Hell, MJ learned that Peter was Spider-Man just by seeing him leave his house in costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Wait, how many times has this happened?
    Pretty as many times hawkeye dropped the Avengers, Tony Stark having his sobriety challenged, Shocker being made fun of his costume even if compared to whatever bullshit th either villains and hero wear is pillar of fashion!