Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1bulma1

Default X-Men: Days of Future Past vs Captain America: Winter Soldier

Which film did you prefer and why?

I preferred DOFP no offence to the marvel cinematic universe fan boys but for me dofp was the better film. It had a deeper and a lot more emotional story and I felt more for the characters. The storyline in DOFP was a lot more compelling as the line between god and evil was so blurred and DOFP actually had 3 dimensional and very complex characters to the point of some of them being very messed up characters like mystique and young Xavier.

I liked and enjoyed winter soldier but the film was easy and brezzy for me. it was another mavel disney film that I expected. DOFP was just more my taste.
    Last edited by 1bulma1; 06-12-2014 at 08:04 AM.

X-Men: DOFP > Captain America: TWS -- but both are at the tippy-top of my lists for best comicbook movie, from each studio.

DOFP just brought more of the "feels" and was a bit more epic in scope (imo), and that's why it beats out TWS. I like Chris Evans, and the rest of the TWS cast, but it's really hard to beat the likes of McAvoy, Fassbender, and the rest.

BANNED

Bologna. "Depth???" Don't get me wrong. DOFP was a great movie. But had "3 dimensional characters" as opposed to what??? CA: TWS's cast had waaaay more range and character depth than anything in DOFP. Sorry. Until that lame excuse for mystique gets out of this series that's how it'll stay. How she won an oscar is beyond me because she can't act to save her life. If you wanted to talk about the scope of the story then fine. But saying that xmen had "3 dimensional characters" insinuating that the cap cast didn't is idiocy. Out of both movies, the one character that has the most difficulty and complexity to make them translate correctly onto the screen is CAPTAIN AMERICA. He has to be the boyscout, the badass, and the leader. None of the X-characters have to serve so many functions AND come out believable. Mags is a badass. Prof was heartfelt. And wolvie was cool. But none of them served all three functions on their own because all of their moralities are questionable. Thus, the inherent purity of goodness is not needed in them to make their characters accurate. Cap MUST have that morality and "goodness", if you will, yet not allow that to downplay his leadership and badassery. Kudos to Mr. Evans! That's why TWS was the best out of the two.

Both great movies, Cap was a bit better though by my estimation.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Hard for me. Best X-Men movie and another top Super-Hero movie. Both so different. Gotta love them both.

Fantastic Member 50yearoldNovafan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderingHammer View Post
    Bologna. "Depth???" Don't get me wrong. DOFP was a great movie. But had "3 dimensional characters" as opposed to what??? CA: TWS's cast had waaaay more range and character depth than anything in DOFP. Sorry. Until that lame excuse for mystique gets out of this series that's how it'll stay. How she won an oscar is beyond me because she can't act to save her life. If you wanted to talk about the scope of the story then fine. But saying that xmen had "3 dimensional characters" insinuating that the cap cast didn't is idiocy. Out of both movies, the one character that has the most difficulty and complexity to make them translate correctly onto the screen is CAPTAIN AMERICA. He has to be the boyscout, the badass, and the leader. None of the X-characters have to serve so many functions AND come out believable. Mags is a badass. Prof was heartfelt. And wolvie was cool. But none of them served all three functions on their own because all of their moralities are questionable. Thus, the inherent purity of goodness is not needed in them to make their characters accurate. Cap MUST have that morality and "goodness", if you will, yet not allow that to downplay his leadership and badassery. Kudos to Mr. Evans! That's why TWS was the best out of the two.
    I agree with your main point, and several others. Yes, I liked days of future past, but I enjoyed the Winter Soldier more. The biggest problems, for me, with DOFP was that not many of the characters meant a whole lot, except for the same ol' guys - Professor X, Magneto, Wolverine, etc. When we saw the others die, well, you didn't even get to know who they were to garner any kind of emotion. And all of the future action was in slow motion, as if in a dream. The deaths were not that impactful, to me.The best thing for DOFP, for me, was the erasure of The Last Stand and the stupid death of Scott Summers, and the removal of him from the X-movie universe without ever using him. He was not shown to be very important to the movie universe, and then he was killed.

Winter Soldier had, spy intrigue, fantastic action, relationships that I loved - Black Widow and Steve, Steve and Winter Soldier, Nick and Steve, and the budding relationship with the Falcon, etc. And the actors were all good. And by the way, I thought it was just as complex, if not moreso, than DOFP.

My wife said that for her, it would take a lot to top the Winter Soldier. We have seen many movies, and nothing, still, has topped it for her this summer.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

The best Marvel/Disney super hero movie v the best Fox super hero movie. Why do I have to choose? Cap was a bit better but also played it far safer by comparison.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

TWS was a much better movie for sure and stayed true to the characters far better.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderingHammer View Post
    Until that lame excuse for mystique gets out of this series that's how it'll stay. How she won an oscar is beyond me because she can't act to save her life.
    Have you seen Silver Linings Playbook (2011)?

Hard to pick between the two. Both films are amazing. Winter Soldier just wins out though, but it's a very close call.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bulma1 View Post
    Which film did you prefer and why?

I preferred DOFP no offence to the marvel cinematic universe fan boys but for me dofp was the better film. It had a deeper and a lot more emotional story and I felt more for the characters. The storyline in DOFP was a lot more compelling as the line between god and evil was so blurred and DOFP actually had 3 dimensional and very complex characters to the point of some of them being very messed up characters like mystique and young Xavier.

I liked and enjoyed winter soldier but the film was easy and brezzy for me. it was another mavel disney film that I expected. DOFP was just more my taste.
    Well, you don't really explain anything though: "deeply emotional storyline", "complex characters (three dimensional at that!)" are just the most generic arguments one can possibly make.
    Why you considered it deeply emotional and why you considered DofP deeply complex and 3 dimensionals would be actual explanations though.

Quote Originally Posted by 50yearoldNovafan View Post
    I agree with your main point, and several others. Yes, I liked days of future past, but I enjoyed the Winter Soldier more. The biggest problems, for me, with DOFP was that not many of the characters meant a whole lot, except for the same ol' guys - Professor X, Magneto, Wolverine, etc. When we saw the others die, well, you didn't even get to know who they were to garner any kind of emotion. And all of the future action was in slow motion, as if in a dream. The deaths were not that impactful, to me.The best thing for DOFP, for me, was the erasure of The Last Stand and the stupid death of Scott Summers, and the removal of him from the X-movie universe without ever using him. He was not shown to be very important to the movie universe, and then he was killed.

Winter Soldier had, spy intrigue, fantastic action, relationships that I loved - Black Widow and Steve, Steve and Winter Soldier, Nick and Steve, and the budding relationship with the Falcon, etc. And the actors were all good. And by the way, I thought it was just as complex, if not moreso, than DOFP.
    Same here. My only regret about the movie was that we never really got in the head of the Winter Soldier.
    DofP revolving around the trio Xavier-Lensherr-Darkholme while all the other mutants gets either sidelined or gimmicky deaths was a huge flaw imo, for a movie supposedly about the X-Men...
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Hands down X-men: Days of Future Past. Best X-film since X2, and one of the best Marvel films. Chris Evans is a hottie though, I give him that!

They're incomparable. They're two distinctly different animals.
    Both wildly entertaining.

Cap for me I really wanted to like DOFP as I hold First Class as the best X film but DOFP was a little too serious after the generally lighter tone First Class had

Note this is MY opinion

Ultimate Member

Captain America was easily better IMO.

Some plot points in DOFP literally made no sense.

Like Magneto controlling Sentinels with metal and Mystique rescuing Wolverine from the river (at the end), e.t.c. Watching the future X-men get killed (not the main cast) in creative ways didn't move me at all because we didn't even know these characters.

Other things that bothered me was not simply using Quicksilver to literally wrap up Mystique in tape, that would have solved the whole problem.

As I said at the beginning, Cap 2 was a far better and far more enjoyable movie to me.
    Last edited by Username taken; 06-13-2014 at 04:46 AM.