Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Default Defunct comic book publishers.

What are some comic book publishers, that you miss or are just simply interested in talking more about, that no longer exist?

Examples of defunct comic book publishers include:

American Comics Group (1939-1967) - Adventures into the Unknown, Forbidden Worlds, Ha Ha Comics, Romantic Adventures, Spy-Hunters, Blazing West, Out of the Night, Operation: Peril, etc.

Crestwood Publications (1940-1968) - Justice Traps the Guilty, Headline Comics, Prize Comics, Broadway Laughs, Army Laughs, Black Magic, Young Love, Fighting American, etc.

Gilberton (1941-1971) - Classics Illustrated, The World Around Us, Classic Comics, Picture Progress, Double Comics, The Best from Boys' Life, Bomber Comics, Picture Parade, etc.

Dell Comics (1929-1974) - Four Color, March of Comics, Marge's Little Lulu, Walter Lantz New Funnies, Tom & Jerry Comics, The Lone Ranger, Popular Comics, Red Ryder Comics, etc.

Fawcett Comics (1939-1980) - Whiz Comics, Captain Marvel Adventures, Master Comics, Dennis the Menace Bonus Magazine Series, The Marvel Family, Fawcett's Funny Animals, Don Winslow of the Navy, Captain Midnight, etc.

Charlton Comics (1940-1986) - Fightin' Marines, Romantic Story, Hot Rods and Racing Cars, Good Humor, Six-Gun Heroes, Many Ghosts of Dr. Graves, Black Fury, Atomic Mouse, etc.

Eclipse Comics (1977-1993) - Airboy, Crossfire, Miracleman, Scout, DNAgents, Sabre, The New Wave, Masked Man, etc.

Harvey Comics (1941-1994) - Sad Sack Comics, Richie Rich, Little Dot, Dick Tracy, Wendy the Good Little Witch, Casper the Friendly Ghost, Black Cat Comics, Felix the Cat, etc.

Comico: The Comic Company (1982-1997) - Grendel, Robotech: The Macross Saga, Johnny Quest, Elementals, Justice Machine, The Maze Agency, Mage: The Hero Discovered, Fish Police, etc.

Kitchen Sink Press (1970-1999) - The Spirit, Li'l Abner Dailies, Steve Canyon, Omaha the Cat Dancer, Death Rattle, Snarf, Xenozoic Tales, Megaton Man, etc.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 08-15-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Don't forget Now comics!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Don't forget Now comics!
    Ah, never heard of them before. Interesting!

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

I wish Topps Comics had taken off more.

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

I would read the Harvey Comics whenever I came across an issue on the newsstand. If I come across some issues in halfway decent shape in a bargain box, I'd pick them up.

Didn't Comico publish some Starblazers comics at one point?

And I definitely wish Crossgen had been able to be a success.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Malibu Comic started in the mid 80s and was bought out and complexly shut down by Marvel in the mid 90s

61wkz36TqWL.jpg

Also Chaos Comics through the 90s Dynamite ended up with the rights to a lot of there stuff

61zKcqjuyVL._SY445_.jpg
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 08-16-2019 at 12:44 PM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I wish Topps Comics had taken off more.
    Are their X-Files comics any good?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I would read the Harvey Comics whenever I came across an issue on the newsstand. If I come across some issues in halfway decent shape in a bargain box, I'd pick them up.

I did like Mark Waid's Sherlockian "Ruse" that he did for CrossGen. May have those issues laying around somewhere.

I remember reading a few issues of both the Axel Pressbutton series & the Laser Eraser series from Eclipse. IIRC, someone mentioned they were a big-time competitor of both DC & Marvel, and that Eclipse came very close to achieving mainstream popularity. If true, then those were certainly creative times.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post

Correct. Comico put out a 4-issue series in 1987, and then a 5-issue series in 1989 (AFAIK).
    Last edited by K7P5V; 08-16-2019 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

Astonishing Member

The one I miss most is definitely Dell, although they weren't actually the publisher. From the late 1930s until 1962 all Dell comics were in fact published by Western and just distributed by Dell. After 1962 Western published their own comics under the brand names Gold Key (until 1980) and Whitman (until 1984), but IMHO the comics that they produced for Dell were a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    IIRC, someone mentioned they were a big-time competitor of both DC & Marvel, and that Eclipse came very close to achieving mainstream popularity. If true, then those were certainly creative times.
    Eclipse was doing well by 1988, because at that point, their Airboy, Zot!, and Crossfire series had each passed 20 issues, in addition to publishing some manga. If they had had a few more successes, they then probably might have been able to consistently compete with Marvel and DC, but numerous problems, including their bankruptcy, ultimately shot down that possibility. I'd still say their 15-ish years of existence was a pretty good run though.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Eclipse was doing well by 1988, because at that point, their Airboy, Zot!, and Crossfire series had each passed 20 issues, in addition to publishing some manga. If they had had a few more successes, they then probably might have been able to consistently compete with Marvel and DC, but numerous problems, including their bankruptcy, ultimately shot down that possibility. I'd still say their 15-ish years of existence was a pretty good run though.
    Thanks for the informative response, Electricmastro. Yeah, I don't have too many comics from Eclipse. However the few that I do have (Pressbutton, Laser Eraser, etc.), I'm just simply hoping that I'll get a chance to finish reading them one of these days.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 08-16-2019 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

Picturebox.
    BB

EC .....

Last edited by Güicho; 08-17-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    EC .....

Reminds me of this.