Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    In this case, I take Wizard. 20th level, access to a host of high-level useful D&D spells including 'Wish' and 'Shapechange' (to get access to various creatures' spell-like powers and so forth), I figure I can manage to do a lot to keep myself and those important to me alive for a long, long time. Also making magical items. Also staying hidden and safe. And easily moving around the world to do whatever we want.
    (20,000 gp)(1g=1 Troy ounce)($1,675/ounce)=$33,502,000

Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 11.20.51 AM.jpg

The Plot Gods are wise beyond measure....

Are you interested in a collaboration? We could communicate via crystal ball from our towers.

Basically, we'd be studying hypotheses like the Many Worlds Hypothesis and the Cognitive Theoretical Model of the Universe (CTMU), but actually using spells and magic to scry other universes and dimensions.

We could be the first living human beings from our world to actually have a verifiable map for the structure of reality and visit other universes. If one of us was 'mission control' here at home, watching through a scrying globe, the first Gate to an alternate Earth or other dimension would have less risk.

I'll avoid interactions with most people, due to the fact that I've seen that 'Rumblers getting enormous power' often seems to lead to power-games, fighting, and so forth, and I'm rather disinterested in all of that.
    Everyone gets a stat boost to Wisdom: 18, so that may help alleviate matters somewhat. One hopes.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

any attempts to draw me into a feud, politicking, power-games, or whathaveyou, will end with me devoting everything I have to simply erasing the offender from existence in the most expedient way possible
    Ooooh, that sounds like it might involve "sic The MunchKING on them".

I'm happy to help you out if you need it, but of course wouldn't try to involve you in anything that wasn't already your business. *nods respectfully*
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    (20,000 gp)(1g=1 Troy ounce)($1,675/ounce)=$33,502,000

Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 11.20.51 AM.jpg

The Plot Gods are wise beyond measure....
    The money is helpful. I'm not sure what flooding all of that gold onto the market might do - it's not a lot, really, if everyone does it, but I'm sure it makes a statistically significant portion - but I don't really need 33 million dollars.

I have a home wherever I want, magically protected, to which I (and others) can teleport etc, that's enough. Enough money to live upon. And I have magic to pull off a lot of the stuff I need.

Are you interested in a collaboration? We could communicate via crystal ball from our towers.

Basically, we'd be studying hypotheses like the Many Worlds Hypothesis and the Cognitive Theoretical Model of the Universe (CTMU), but actually using spells and magic to scry other universes and dimensions.

We could be the first living human beings from our world to actually have a verifiable map for the structure of reality and visit other universes. If one of us was 'mission control' here at home, watching through a scrying globe, the first Gate to an alternate Earth or other dimension would have less risk.
    I have to say, that might be the case in a few hundred years when I start looking for something else to do. Look me up then, assuming I'm still around.

It's not a priority at the start.

Everyone gets a stat boost to Wisdom: 18, so that may help alleviate matters somewhat. One hopes.
    Having common sense doesn't mean people won't do whatever they please for shits and giggles, or whatever other reasons. Put another way, there are a lot of Chaotic Evil people in the D&D world who have Wisdom 18 or higher, so I'm somewhat iffy on the idea that it automatically changes people into sensible non-violent sorts. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Ooooh, that sounds like it might involve "sic The MunchKING on them".

I'm happy to help you out if you need it, but of course wouldn't try to involve you in anything that wasn't already your business. *nods respectfully*
    I would honestly value any help in keeping my own life peaceful, and certainly I would trust you with that assistance, Munchie. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I don't know much about DnD at high levels but I'll choose bard.

Might be a laugh.

What do I get?

I’m not really familiar with 3.5.

For me, D&D went:

Basic D&D and AD&D
    5th Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post

Might be a laugh.

What do I get?
    20 levels in Bard, all 18's in your stats, five magic items, and $32,902,000 in gold (as of this minute right now).

Probably a record deal too, and Grammy awards, if you go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post

Might be a laugh.

What do I get?
    It's pretty much the same as at low levels, only more power.

So Bard = Jack of All Trades, high-level. Lots of skills, some pretty decent magic (by 20th level, pretty amazing stuff), fighting ability insane by the standards of our world (cripes, a 20th level wizard would beat all hell out of groups of people on our world), and a host of music-based special abilities including mind control.

Here.

Edit: also, knower of obscure facts and lore.
    Why are we here?

Ah, Bardic Knowledge. Which seems like it could be pretty handy in a lot of situations, even unrelated to combat.

Edit: And let's not forget, you'd be suave as heck. Combined with the ability to make ill beats whenever...
    Last edited by Sol_M; 02-25-2020 at 12:59 PM.

masterpo

I've been lurking here since pretty much the beginning of the forum, like 2 or 3 resets, but it's topics like these that really get my attention so I guess I'll step out of the shadows. I've been playing/DMing since 2nd edition so I've got some history with the game and I've done some thought experiments similar to this. So here we go.

I'll go with 20th level Monk. With all the monk feats and 18s in all stats it would be the ultimate in self-sufficiency. With the monk feats at level 20 I would be immune to all diseases and poisons, no longer age, able to slow my descent and fall any distance without harm when next to a nearby wall (casual skyscraper jumps), become ethereal like the spell for 2 minutes a day, and use dimension door like the spell up to 800 feet once a day.

Depending on how D&D mechanics function in the real world, like HP, AC, saves, etc, I could heal 40 HP a day and have Improved evasion, no damage on a successful save, half on fail. So if say I was in an explosion, maybe I could cartwheel away without a scratch? My Ki strike makes my fists Adamantine Level, so there is no material on earth I couldn’t tear through like paper. A spell resistance of 30 means that if other rumblers who were spell casters wanted to start trouble I’d be comfortable resisting.

Real questions about D&D mechanics in the real world also apply to damage reduction, attacks, and movement speed. So a 20th level monk has damage reduction 10/magic, ignoring the first 10 points of damage unless it was magic. Since only other rumblers would have magic does this mean that a mugger shooting me with a .45 does nothing? Does he need a .50 cal Barret? How much HP damage would bullets do? A 20th level monk moves 90ft a round, 3 times faster than your average character. So would I be like peak human Captain America/Black Panther speed? Faster? Calcs also put a monk’s unarmed damage at about 5 times that of a regular guy (1d4 vs 2d10).

As far as what I’d do with the power, I’d probably either wander the world like Caine from Kung Fu, doing amazing deeds. Eventually seeking out one of the Wizard/Cleric rumblers to see if I could hop a ride on some extra dimensional travel once I get bored.

Welp, back into the shadows I go.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpo View Post
    Eventually seeking out one of the Wizard/Cleric rumblers to see if I could hop a ride on some extra dimensional travel once I get bored.
    That's exactly what I'd be working on as a 20th-level Wizard, creating a map of the multiverse.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

A spell resistance of 30 means that if other rumblers who were spell casters wanted to start trouble I’d be comfortable resisting.
    20th level caster means that without feats or gear that boosts spell penetration, it's a 50/50 shot on whether they can pierce SR 30. If they even use spells that allow spell resistance. Not all do.

Real questions about D&D mechanics in the real world also apply to damage reduction, attacks, and movement speed. So a 20th level monk has damage reduction 10/magic, ignoring the first 10 points of damage unless it was magic. Since only other rumblers would have magic does this mean that a mugger shooting me with a .45 does nothing? Does he need a .50 cal Barret? How much HP damage would bullets do? A 20th level monk moves 90ft a round, 3 times faster than your average character. So would I be like peak human Captain America/Black Panther speed? Faster? Calcs also put a monk’s unarmed damage at about 5 times that of a regular guy (1d4 vs 2d10).
    I know one of the books had damage for aquabuses and other early guns, but apparently that didn't make it to the SRD. So I hand to go with the next best thing and pick D20 Modern. It suggests damage from 2d6-2d8 for Handguns, and as high as 10d6 if hit with a LAW. So 10 wouldn't let you ignore all bullet wounds, even from a normal handgun, but it does let you convert most shots to "Just a flesh wound" or "no damage".
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!