Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Not to be that guy, but this has almost nothing to do with that story. It's just a few fun stories that were to celebrate classic Spider-Man. I doubt that they were thinking much about that element when writing/drawing this.
    What I meant was, apparently recent years since IT happened, Marvel / Spider-Man team has been continuity-nerding everything else back up. Clone Saga. Hobgoblin. Carnage. Cardiac. Doctor Octopus II. Life Foundation Symbiotes.

Apparently soon, Kristy Watson. To me, her original stories, that slightly added to Mary Jane's family side of addition to Peter's life, as the Parker residence did take her in for a while, soon after Pete and Mary Jane were recently married, which was kind of an amusing addition in that then-transition, home life-wise.

Otherwise, without the marriage, morally, I highly doubt Peter would / should know Kristy, in situations like Aunt May questioning where does she put all that (food) away while eating at the Parker house family table, or the time she teasingly welcomed him out of his shower, because she should be with MJ, separate residence.

I still and always will, until the change is reversed, detest Marvel's cockamamie theory that, "Nothing changed (the stories mid-1987 - late 2007) except they were still living together, unmarried.

What, if Marvel is rehauling everything else formely forgotten / forbidden for years, some even over a decade or two, why not bring the marriage back into memory?
    Last edited by ngroove; 08-31-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    What I meant was, apparently recent years since IT happened, Marvel / Spider-Man team has been continuity-nerding everything else back up. Clone Saga. Hobgoblin. Carnage. Cardiac. Doctor Octopus II. Life Foundation Symbiotes.

Apparently soon, Kristy Watson. To me, her original stories, that slightly added to Mary Jane's family side of addition to Peter's life, as the Parker residence did take her in for a while, soon after Pete and Mary Jane were recently married, which was kind of an amusing addition in that then-transition, home life-wise.

Otherwise, without the marriage, morally, I highly doubt Peter would / should know Kristy, in situations like Aunt May questioning where does she put all that (food) away while eating at the Parker house family table, or the time she teasingly welcomed him out of his shower, because she should be with MJ, separate residence.

I still and always will, until the change is reversed, detest Marvel's cockamamie theory that, "Nothing changed (the stories mid-1987 - late 2007) except they were still living together, unmarried.

What, if Marvel is rehauling everything else formely forgotten / forbidden for years, some even over a decade or two, why not bring the marriage back into memory?
    I mean, I get that. I do. But I seriously doubt that this would be the book for that conversation to happen, you know? The editors probably thought it was just a good fun little one-shot. And that Conway wanted to bring back a character he used to write.

Sometimes it's as simple as that, I guess.

So now Peter and Kristy go to the same university... cool

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    "Living in sin" feels like an outdated way to talk about unmarried cohabitation.
    yeah
    especially in the 21st Century that we all live in right now
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    "Living in sin" feels like an outdated way to talk about unmarried cohabitation.
    It sure does. I hate how those in the Marvel Office constantly drop the phrase concerning Peter's and MJ's time together thanks to OMD.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    It sure does. I hate how those in the Marvel Office constantly drop the phrase concerning Peter's and MJ's time together thanks to OMD.
    I don't think anyone at Marvel has ever used that phrase when talking about Pete and MJ. Instead it's always said that they were living together in a committed relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I don't think anyone at Marvel has ever used that phrase when talking about Pete and MJ. Instead it's always said that they were living together in a committed relationship.
    I saw where someone had edited out "married" with "committed relationship" into old Spidey comics. It was hilarious .

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    On second thought I think it has been a couple of ex-Spidey writers who dropped the phrase, my bad.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Kristie Watson, Mark Bagley and Erik Larsen? I'm in.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    That remains the biggest insult of that entire thing. It was not only insulting to readers, but to writers. Like it's saying that the people who wrote those stories didn't know what marriage meant or felt like, that it was a different thing from a "committed relationship". The added insult on top of that is the idea that the marriage didn't produce any great classic stories, when in fact it produced several. Including right out of the gate with Kraven's Lost Hunt, which J. M. DeMatteis has said multiple times depends on the marriage for the emotional context and which Dan Slott himself lied about the author's intentions to downplay it.

It creates a problem every time I see references to Pre-OMD stories in Post-OMD continuity. And you can tell that writers are self-conscious about that. Like Tony not knowing/remembering MJ from her time in Avengers Tower and so on, and that entire prior history being broad-stroked or downplayed.

Am I the only one who thinks Kristy looks a lot like PS4 MJ now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Strange View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks Kristy looks a lot like PS4 MJ now?
    It's the blue eyes. PS4 MJ has them. But yeah, Kristy becoming an aspiring crusading millennial journalist does feel like both Ultimate MJ (Bagley is the artist here after all) and PS4 MJ.

The Conway story feels a bit like a victory lap. He's dealing with the plight of refugees and undocumented migrants which is a concern that dates back to his run in the '70s with Tarantula, then his spectacular run, and now again. And hey Punisher shows up too, this time using his psychopathy for a left-wing cause.

The Erik larsen bit felt mediocre until the ending which was cute, but I wished that Larsen actually showed us the 4 minute long quick web-swing promised there.

All around a fun treat for longtime fans! Was great reading a story by Gerry Conway and Mark Bagley, felt like top form. Was cool to see Kristy Watson again, I don't think she's been seen since maybe 2000? I heard Erik Larsen say on the Amazing Spider-Talk podcast that there might be more Spider-Man in the cards for him, I really hope so cause it was fun to have him back for a little bit.

Nice little nostalgia issue. I enjoyed it but nothing really amazing was here. I do hope we see Kristy again in the pages of Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The Erik larsen bit felt mediocre until the ending which was cute, but I wished that Larsen actually showed us the 4 minute long quick web-swing promised there.
    Yeah I agree. The websling for a couple pages to see him beat or narrowly miss the time would have been sweet. Damn, missed oppportunity there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Nice little nostalgia issue. I enjoyed it but nothing really amazing was here. I do hope we see Kristy again in the pages of Amazing.
    I would enjoy it even if she appears in the pages of Ghost-Spider.