Page 96 of 613 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106146196596 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,440 of 9194

I think the "unknown origin" has more to do with this new villain who has been said to be connected to Krypton's destruction.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Interesting take on the matter I've been listening to some independent publisher's thoughts on the matter admittedly he does seem to understand the issues plaguing the comic book industry mainly the issues of relaunching often for no particular reason but he's a really unreliable person who at times doesn't put much effort into researching a lot of other topics. Still I do hope you're right in better than him.
    Well, I'd assume someone involved in publishing would know the industry far better than I do, since I'm not in that business.

But I suppose it would depend on just how big an operation he's running and how well he knows his business. You don't need a degree in business to start one, and I've known several people who tried to publish their own work without a background in finance or marketing.

I do agree, sort of, that re-launches aren't helpful. But that's mostly due to the confusing nature of volumes and numbering. It's tough for a new reader to figure out where to start when you've got multiple volumes of a title, and each one ran a different number of issues, and the whole thing is spread across fifty years. It's a hurdle, but I'm not sure how big of one it is. But again, this isn't my industry, so I'm just guessing.

I myself support shifting comics into a "tv season" setup. Each season runs twelve issues, which would fit into two trades. So you start with "Batman season 1 issue 1" or, if you do trades, "Batman season 1 volume 1." It won't do anything for the back catalog of issues but it'd at least give people a place to start with the current stuff.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    I think the "unknown origin" has more to do with this new villain who has been said to be connected to Krypton's destruction.
    Agreed. I dunno if even Bendis would go so far as to erase Krypton.

You got me a little scared here, Superlad.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Agreed. I dunno if even Bendis would go so far as to erase Krypton.

You got me a little scared here, Superlad.
    I honestly don't really think they'll go there...But it does make me wonder what " the biggest status quo shift since CRISIS and the first MOS mini series might mean. I mean, he's been dead, not dead, married, not married, and married again, mulleted
    And electric and armored and has had his origin mucked with multiple times. What could be bigger than all that?
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    But it does make me wonder what " the biggest status quo shift since CRISIS and the first MOS mini series might mean.
    spoilers:
    Superman is secretly gay.
    end of spoilers
    You heard here first.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, I'd assume someone involved in publishing would know the industry far better than I do, since I'm not in that business.

But I suppose it would depend on just how big an operation he's running and how well he knows his business. You don't need a degree in business to start one, and I've known several people who tried to publish their own work without a background in finance or marketing.

I do agree, sort of, that re-launches aren't helpful. But that's mostly due to the confusing nature of volumes and numbering. It's tough for a new reader to figure out where to start when you've got multiple volumes of a title, and each one ran a different number of issues, and the whole thing is spread across fifty years. It's a hurdle, but I'm not sure how big of one it is. But again, this isn't my industry, so I'm just guessing.

I myself support shifting comics into a "tv season" setup. Each season runs twelve issues, which would fit into two trades. So you start with "Batman season 1 issue 1" or, if you do trades, "Batman season 1 volume 1." It won't do anything for the back catalog of issues but it'd at least give people a place to start with the current stuff.
    I'm not sure how good he is at his business this man Shawn James runs a novel imprint but he's really bad at public relations his blog is dripping swears and labels and poorly researched material. As well the fact his YouTube channel is filled with similar issues he doesn't swear but he just voices his highly prejudiced and myopic view on things. So I would not want him to be editor in chief for any company.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    You heard here first.
    spoilers:
    You might have to start 'shipping Superman/Steve Trevor
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    spoilers:
    You might have to start 'shipping Superman/Steve Trevor
    end of spoilers
    No, probably Superman + Jimmy Olsen. They have more history.

Just an FYI Bendis solicits lie all the time. I remember when he brought Ultimate Peter Parker back and the solicits hyped a Miles-Peter fight. Never happened, Peter one hit KO’d Miles, took his stuff back, then they fought Green Goblin.

If Bendis wants to work with a homosexual character, he could use Lucy. She was already retconned into being at least bi in the New 52.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I know you're joking...But I was thinking about this the other day after the end of Metal and it's implications. I've been mulling over that and Bendis' comments that his status quo shift would both build off of what Jurgens and Tomasi did, but also be the biggest change in Superman since Crisis.

I'm wondering if indeed Superman's Kryptonian alien origins may actually be called into question.

Think about the last two years of stories. He spent the first year's worth of stories trying to fit into a new world that from his perspective he was a strange visitor. After he was " fixed" he was still wrestling with identity issues somewhat with the Revelation that the mysterious Mr. Oz was actually his long thought dead father Jor-El. Add in the fact he is now also a father himself now,the father of a half human half Kryptonian hybrid whose powers emerging has been a struggle at times.

What if, subconsciously at the back of his mind, while he relishes being Superman and all that means, he wishes that wasn't tied up in an alien heritage that as of late has caused him distress and had inadvertently robbed the chance for his son to live a normal life?

What if the conceit of Bendis' run is actually an update of that 70's story , but instead of handwaving it away, they embrace what something like that would mean for Superman? What if because of what happened in Metal,KRYPTON still existed, but Superman/ Clark Kent learns that his origins may not actually originate there? What if indeed Superman discovers he may not be an alien after all?

That could explain why Jon is MIA in other books initially. He doesn't die or disappear , but because of the cosmic shift at the end of Metal he is without powers, because he's no longer half Kryptonian. It also would explain Bendis' comments about redefining Clark Kent and his life as a reporter and the increased focus on that aspect. That would also explain Supergirl's absence from her own title as if Clark's origins are altered it would also affect Kara. What does that Revelation do to someone who has strong memories of a planet she may not even be from? What if she's Kryptonian but he isn't? What does that do to their relationship?

Of course part of the mystery of it all would potentially be if Supes isn't Kryptonian or Alien, why did he arrive in a rocket ship...And why does he have powers of a Kryptonian? That could account for Lois' role in all of this? Perhaps she has a quest to find out the truth of Clark's existence, and why her son had powers, and she remembers her son having powers, but now he doesn't.Perhaps she discovers how this all ties to what happened in Metal?

This is just me spitballing and speculating, but the cover blerb to the DC Nation special, all of Bendis' talking about status quo changes and big bombshells being dropped that changes Superman status in the DCU and it all building off of the last two years of stories , and the implications of Metal, makes me wonder if this type of story is a possibility.

And of course, once Bendis' leaves, it's fairly easy to retcon it all back to " Kal-El did indeed come from KRYPTON" with some sort of continuity clean up in a few years.
    After they played safe for the past 2 years, I'm more open to a storyline like that one you suggest.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 04-03-2018 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    You heard here first.
    So... The only GOOD choise is:

spoilers:
    LEX LUTHOR..
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    So... The only GOOD choise is:

spoilers:
    LEX LUTHOR..
    end of spoilers
    Smallville's Clex fans approve.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    I'm not sure how good he is at his business this man Shawn James runs a novel imprint but he's really bad at public relations his blog is dripping swears and labels and poorly researched material. As well the fact his YouTube channel is filled with similar issues he doesn't swear but he just voices his highly prejudiced and myopic view on things. So I would not want him to be editor in chief for any company.
    Well.....PR is just one facet of business. That doesn't mean he's bad at the other things. In fact, depending on what his target demographic is like, he might even be good at his PR, if he appeals to a.....certain segment.....of the population.

Or maybe he's just a bigoted jackass who talked his way into a bank loan. Small business loans aren't the hardest things to get, especially if you run with a really low overhead. I've known a lot of people who managed to open their own business with virtually no actual business knowledge (and almost all of them eventually fail because accounting is harder than it looks). Perhaps this guy is like that and is steadily sliding towards chapter 11. I don't know what his credentials are.

~ Black Panther.

I honestly don't really think they'll go there...But it does make me wonder what " the biggest status quo shift since CRISIS and the first MOS mini series might mean. I mean, he's been dead, not dead, married, not married, and married again, mulleted
    And electric and armored and has had his origin mucked with multiple times. What could be bigger than all that?
    The claim that this is "bigger than Crisis" could also just be hyperbolic too. I mean, in every interview Scott Snyder ever gives he says that his current story is the "one story I would tell if I could only tell one story, and it'll change everything forever and ever!" Hell, I think that kind of over-selling is half the reason fans here started to hate the guy.

It could be something as simple as the Kents coming back to life.

Or Clark might leave the planet on some big epic quest.

Or Krypton isn't actually destroyed.

Or Kara isn't actually his cousin.

Or someone is gay (likely Jimmy).

Or Lois is knocked up again.

Or Conner returns from limbo.

Or we learn that Clark actually landed in 1938 and had lived an entire life we know nothing about, and all those flashbacks with the Kents *really* took place before WWII.

Or Clark himself, through some weird time travel nonsense, destroyed Krypton fighting Solaris or Brainiac or G'Nort.

Could be anything, but the odds of it really being bigger than Crisis seem awfully slim to me.

~ Black Panther.