Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I get why they would want Kamala to gel more thematically with Carol if they're trying to more closely associate the two here...but it doesn't quite feel like her Ms. Marvel as a result.
    I actually agree that her powers are a big part of defining the character. My assumption is that the creators believed her cultural identity is core, but not embiggening. But I can understand how fans would expect and want both.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    A general audience isn't that stupid. If Marvel invests in using Kamala extensive power set more this is a non issue.
    The general audience doesn't know who she is and they are what is needed to make the show a hit, not comic fans desiring an exact replica to come from the page to a live screen.

IMHO, stretchy powers are probably the most boring powerset to display and even more so if that's the primary power an audience sees. It does tend to work better in a group dynamic like FF or the Flash (with Elongated Man). It obviously remains to be seen what all she can do, so she may very well have some of the abilities her comic shows.

I miss her stretchy legs the most.

Also, is it really "embiggening" if she's not actually enlarging her hand but just making a crystal fist?
    Having a look at the trailer, when she uses her big fist it kinda looks like it’s stretching, just with purple energy around it. In which case she may still have the ability to embiggen, it just may use a purple aura too

Astonishing Member

I think a bigger character change than just swapping powerset would be if the powers aren't her own and just from the "bracers" shown in the trailer. That would be radically different

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I dunno, it looks out of place for Ms. Marvel to me personally.

It fits someone associated with Carol Danvers, but not the Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel.

I haven't been a Ms. Marvel Fan since Carol Danvers had that name. My favorite era was when Carol had recovered from her coma, got her powers back, and was trying her best to become a hero again but failing often in the process (alcoholism, making poor choices, etc). I was rooting for her because she was broken, but trying hard to piece her life back together.

When she became Captain Marvel, got the haircut, it went from 60 to 0. I couldn't stand what they done with her. Some version of a 'perfect feminist icon' She went from my favorite Marvel Heroine to I want nothing to do with her. The movie sealed the deal. (I thought it was awful). I wanted to see Carol become a hero...but the end result isn't what I had in mind.

As for Kamala, I liked her in the comics. Loved her enthusiasm, actually wanting to be a hero, and her relation with Cyclops (My favorite Hero). Unlike Carol's Ms Marvel though, I haven't read much about Kamala. (A dozen issues maybe? 80% of it from Champions) Its the same view I have with this show. Its not a bad series at all, just not my style.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    The general audience doesn't know who she is and they are what is needed to make the show a hit, not comic fans desiring an exact replica to come from the page to a live screen.

IMHO, stretchy powers are probably the most boring powerset to display and even more so if that's the primary power an audience sees. It does tend to work better in a group dynamic like FF or the Flash (with Elongated Man). It obviously remains to be seen what all she can do, so she may very well have some of the abilities her comic shows.
    This I agree with. Many viewers don't know who she is. Adjusting her powers to having several different effects adds to her mystery/intrigue so people want to know what this new character is about.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    The general audience didn't know what 90% of these character's powers were until the movie or TV show they were in explained it to them. It would be no different here. You can do her comic powers and not get it confused with another hero because the show itself would explain it, just like how the show will most likely explain whatever new power set she has.

It has nothing to do with being a comic reader or a non-comic reader. The only people that would be confused are people that aren't watching the show, and why would you be worried about confusing those people since they aren't consuming your product anyway?
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    The general audience didn't know what 90% of these character's powers were until the movie or TV show they were in explained it to them. It would be no different here. You can do her comic powers and not get it confused with another hero because the show itself would explain it, just like how the show will most likely explain whatever new power set she has.

It has nothing to do with being a comic reader or a non-comic reader. The only people that would be confused are people that aren't watching the show, and why would you be worried about confusing those people since they aren't consuming your product anyway?
    I doubt it has anything to do with potential confusion. As you state, the powers have to be discovered and explained regardless. So why not give her a powerset that will most likely resonate with the masses. They most likely put some thought into the direction and plot of this show and will execute it accordingly.

For me, stretchy powers alone doesn't cut it, so I'm all for giving us something different. That's even assuming it's all that different. Folks have basically jumped the gun from the trailer about her powerset.

The powers are secondary anyway - it's the show around it that decides how good it will be.

Looks too YA.

It's been said that the D+ shows get movie budgets. It would have been impossible to get any of the Marvel D+ shows on a TV budget.
    Honestly they don't really look that much better than other tv shows so I wouldn't say it's impossible.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Honestly they don't really look that much better than other tv shows so I wouldn't say it's impossible.
    The trailer doesn't show where most of the budget went.

Astonishing Member

No one's even explained this yet. What in the world is a "polymorph"? Is it stretching like Mr. Fantastic? Or is it shape-shifting like Mystique? Or some mish-mash of the two.

Anyway, I think it looks like fun. I know changing the powers is a big deal to some and I'm sorry to those who that ruined the show for, but as an old-school Marvel fan, I'm actually a bit more excited by the notion that it is a Nega Band or Quantum Band. [shrug] But then, I don't have much attachment to Ms. Marvel. Not because I don't like her or because I think she's a bad character, but because I stopped letting myself get attached to new characters, especially teen characters, after Marvel broke my heart a million times.

The trailer doesn't show where most of the budget went.
    I'm taking about the shows that are already out.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I'm taking about the shows that are already out.
    The scene that opens the first episode of Falcon and Winter Soldier likely cost more than a single season of the Flash. To suggest that can be done on a TV budget is laughable

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Wonder what the reasoning was on changing the powerset. I don't mind it really if the show implementation is good. But, would be cool to know why.
    My guess is that they did NOT want to make her an Inhuman, because that would mean reminding people about that god-awful show. So they changed her powers to something else- not sure if it's tech-based, or if those bands are mystical.

I'm...really not sure how I feel about this.

Okay, from a tonal perspective, I think they capture the character pretty well as this fun, vibrant, coming of age story for a Muslim girl who daydreams about being a Superhero while trying to find her place in the world. So in that regard it fits.

Kamala's supporting cast doesn't look straight out of the comics but her comics were so stylized and sometimes cartoony that that was probably never going to be realistic. Weird to see her mom without her hijab though.

I like the female hero shirt, but like...why are Wasp and Valkyrie on there? Did everybody who was at the Endgame fight against Thanos become instant celebrities to the point where they get merchandise? Is Hope suddenly a celebrity because Wasp was basically just there? Although I guess now Ant-Man is famous enough that people are inserting him into the Battle of New York when he wasn't even there. I'm not sure if Valkyrie has done that much unless her being the new ruler of Asgard is putting her out there more prominently. I feel like Scarlet Witch and Black Widow would've made more sense alongside Carol.

Now...the main thing...her powers. It just really looks weird for me to take her powers, which are biological and part of a symbolic "puberty" as she metamorphisis into her hero self, and then turn that into tech that just makes GL constructs for her to use. It just doesn't have the same effect or look quite as right. Like her stepping on crystal stepping stones doesn't hold a candle to her stretchy legs. I get it, it's easier from a budget perspective and it makes her more in-line with Carol's mythos like they made Spider-Man more tech-y to make him fit with Iron Man, but it just feels off
    Well, depending on when that shirt was made... Black Widow, yes. Scarlet Witch? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    She's got the Quasar wrist bands. Maybe energy powers are easier/cheaper to do than stretching. Plus, they're going to want her fighting with Carol and Monica. Maybe they wanted synergies.

Looks very Disney Channel to me, so not sure I'll like it but I give everything MCU a go.
    I refuse to believe budget was why they changed Kamala's powers. They did someone with similar powers on The Flash (Elongated Man), which had only a fraction of what the budget of this show probably has. And it didn't look terrible at all. So they could have done that here.

It probably is trying to tie her closer to Carol. Especially since she's in the next Captain Marvel movie.

My little nephews knows her and her powers from the avengers game, lego games, avengers cartoon and secret warriors cartoons on disney plus and disney xd.

My niece got a book of her from her schools book fair!

Power change aside the trailer does look fun but not going to lie really let down marvel changed her powers.

For me, stretchy powers alone doesn't cut it, so I'm all for giving us something different. That's even assuming it's all that different. Folks have basically jumped the gun from the trailer about her powerset.
    She can stretch, grow and shrink and change her shape so she is plastic man, ant-man and mystique in one! (at least when she learns to use her powers anyways.)

Some pretty useful powers when you think about it. Also how is a green lantern rip-off different powers?

Still again power change or not show does look fun. I will check out the first episode.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 03-15-2022 at 06:20 PM.