Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

Dixon's Nightwing. Even the trade prices are obscene.

Absolute Authority 1 and Iron Man 55 were at the tops of my list forever and I got both last week.

Now? Marvel Spotlight 5 and Marvel Premiere 15. Absolute League 1 too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Pretty boring: Absolute Dark Knight at a non-crazy price.
    I saw a preowned but excellent shape copy sell on eBay really cheap within the past 8 months or so, but was too broke to bid. Who knows, if I wasn't broke maybe it wouldn't have gone cheap.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Not sure if these count as Holy Grails because they don't even exist yet but:

1. The last two books of Enki Bilal's "Hatzfeld" tetralogy translated into English.

2. Hardcover re-issues of everything Moebius. I own most of his stuff as a mish-mash of the old Epic Illustrated trades and French hardcovers.
    There's a lot of semi-recent Bilal work that needs to be translated. I'm not sure if "Hatzfeld" is the same as the "Beasts" tetralogy, but that definitely needs to be translated and released in the Anglophonic market. All we have is the first two books in a regular sized tpb from the DC/Humanoids era. We need oversized HCs!

I'm still hoping that the Croatian Moebius collection edited by Darko Macan will someday be translated into English. Gorgeous slipcased set. Mrs. Giraud seemed more open to the idea when last I heard, but that's been a year or so.

Mine is a cheap paperback collection of at least the first 11 issues of Eastman & Lairds TMNT. I had the First Publishing collections until I lost them in a flood about 15 years ago.

One day about a year ago I went to Ukazoo, the local used bookstore. They have a small graphic novels section. Sitting on the shelf, I found this:

0f8c6102-ff80-4189-a095-c5df114b9eea.jpg

It was marked $3.99! I had a coupon for a Free book, so I walked out with a free copy of one of my most sought after books! Elated beyond measure.

BANNED

Nice find, love that cover image.

BANNED

If I choose my book poorly, do I rot away and die?

Yes .

Punisher Max vol 4 HC. Had no idea how freaking badass Frank Castle was until my wife got me the Ennis Omnibus for Christmas a few years ago. The Welcome Back Frank arc was solid but the rest of it was a little challenging. I liked it enough to start collecting the Max series, which blew me away. Unfortunately, I was late to the party and vol 4 is crazy tough to find at a reasonable price.

BANNED

Amazing Fantasy 15 & Fantastic Four 1

And I just sold these in February. I won't feel right until I replace them:
    ASM 2-8, 10-90, 101, 102, 129
    Uncanny X-Men 94-142 & Giant Size 1
    Fantastic Four 2, 6, 9, 20, 30, 48-51
    Incredible Hulk 181, 271
    Werewolf By Night 32, 33
    Journey Into Mystery 85, 99, 100, 103, 106, 107, 110, 112, 124

Makes me sick thinking about it, but I was desperate for cash. Doesn't make me feel any better, though.

A few years ago I really was intrigued and wanted to get New X-Men omnibus (Grant Morrisons entire run) 1st edition, but was unable to get it. So I settled for the TPBs which composed the omnibus.

It was very much worth it, as it is still my favorite storyline.

Spectacular Member Nightstar1441's Avatar

Too many to list but I've got a few:

Nova #1 (1976 series)
    Phantom Stranger #1 (1969 series)
    Sub Mariner #19 (1968 series)
    Daredevil #150 (1964 series)
    Fantastic Four #150 (1961 series)

An original printing of X-Men #1 from 1963 is my current to buy holy grail. I have so few issues of X-men left to collect that I'm getting to the point where I will have to buy it. I currently have, I think, 25 issues left? Something like every issue from 45 and up and another 20 in the issues below that.
    Last edited by Ronald; 05-03-2014 at 06:47 PM.

Right now, the biggest thing I'm currently longing for is the Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus, featuring every ASM issue from Todd McFarlane's run. I've wanted it for two years now. My LCS has had a copy since late-December, and I look at it every time I'm there. I wish I'd gone in just after Christmas, when I still had all of my Christmas money. I've found cheaper copies on Amazon, but just haven't been able to afford it yet.

Another grail is a collection of McFarlane's Spider-Man run, which has still yet to be collected in any form except for the debut "Torment" storyline.

A little ironically, one of my biggest grails was the Indiana Jones Omnibus collection from Dark Horse. I had to pick up one book at a time until I finished the set in 2013. I was able to buy all but one of them as new.

Superman Annual #11, which I wanted after seeing the Justice League Unlimited adaptation. I got a copy (used, but in very good condition) for just $15 on Amazon Marketplace in 2011.

Blade Runner is one of my all-time favorite movies, and last year I finally got Marvel's adaptation. Could have bought a collected edition, but I wanted the originals.

My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Fantastic Member

My holy grail was I know some will laugh but Captain Canuck issue 15 by Richard Comely . Only 150 copies were produced signed and numbered . I looked for years and one day wrote the Author and was able to buy issue 9 of 150 from his son . Cost a bit but chances are will never see another copy . Published in June of 2004 .