Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Default Cover and synopsys of Thanos the Infinity Ending

infinity ending.jpg

THE CONCLUSION TO JIM STARLIN AND ALAN DAVIS' EPIC TRILOGY!
    All hail Thanos, lord of all - including himself! In the far future, Thanos is the most powerful being in reality. But it's not enough to rule his own time. The truly Mad Titan intends to command all of time and space - including his own past self! Now, Thanos' brother Eros, his old ally Adam Warlock and a teleporting troll named Pip must find a way to free Thanos' consciousness from his own future. But the journey will take them - and Thanos - far beyond the limits of anything they believed they could endure. Don't miss Jim Starlin's final chapter in the Thanos saga
    What do you think?

I hope this time Starlin gives a definitive ending to Thanos, heck, he already gave like three different endings to Thanos (Infinity Gauntlet, Marvel Universe The End and Infinity Finale), so i could easily dismiss the future adventures of Marvel NOW's thuggish and mustache twirling version of Thanos as yet another Thanosi.

Starlin remains somewhat short-tempered when interviewers ask him about Thanos and Marvel editorial, but if he truly means to give a proper ending to Thanos this time, I'm all for it. Keith Giffen and Ron Marz aside, I haven't found that Marvel has any authors willing to grant Thanos the wit, intellect, pragmatism, moral ambiguity and psychedelic sense of wonder that Starlin imbues his creation with. Thanos is best left in Starlin's hands, as other creators tend to simply retread either his cosmic cube phase from the seventies or The Infinity Gauntlet (and only the first 4 issues of the series at that while glossing over the character development) or writing him as a de-mystified sci-fi version of Jeffrey Dahmer (Thanos Rising).

I just hope Starlin doesn't have Future Multiversal Thanos defeat the One Above All, that would be too much even for me.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

So Starlin has unquit again? Good for him. I'm glad he can get paid for the busy work Marvel throws at him to keep him happy, but it won't really matter in any other way, imo.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

For better or for worse, I think I'm pretty much resigned to the notion that Starlin will continue to write Thanos books until he's in the grave. We'll get new trilogies depicting the next incarnation of Thanos finale story every 3 years or so, book marked by his usual tantrums over him never working at marvel again.

That said, I'm still gonna buy this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    So Starlin has unquit again? Good for him. I'm glad he can get paid for the busy work Marvel throws at him to keep him happy, but it won't really matter in any other way, imo.
    I guess you missed the previous two books.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    For better or for worse, I think I'm pretty much resigned to the notion that Starlin will continue to write Thanos books until he's in the grave. We'll get new trilogies depicting the next incarnation of Thanos finale story every 3 years or so, book marked by his usual tantrums over him never working at marvel again.

That said, I'm still gonna buy this.
    For better or worse, i think this is the only way of seeing Thanos depicted as a sophisticated character. I'm not a fan of the modern One note brutish Thanos codified by Hickman.

Also i don't like that Adam Warlock Is never used outside of Starlin stories, Dan Abnett aside.

When Starlin quit, he said wasn't going to do any work after the conclusion of the trilogy he was working on.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    For better or worse, i think this is the only way of seeing Thanos depicted as a sophisticated character. I'm not a fan of the modern One note brutish Thanos codified by Hickman.

Also i don't like that Adam Warlock Is never used outside of Starlin stories, Dan Abnett aside.
    If Adam shows up in the next Guardians movie (which is sort of hinted at), I think we'll see him on the comic side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If Adam shows up in the next Guardians movie (which is sort of hinted at), I think we'll see him on the comic side of things.
    As another victim of sinergy. The MCU is a Monkey's paw

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    When Starlin quit, he said wasn't going to do any work after the conclusion of the trilogy he was working on.
    OK. I misunderstood what he meant when he said he quit. He made it sound like he was quitting right away because Cates used the same story idea he had and Brevoort deferred to Marvel's writer of an ongoing series and didn't force him to change it.

I guess you missed the previous two books.
    Missed in what sense?
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

OK. I misunderstood what he meant when he said he quit. He made it sound like he was quitting right away because Cates used the same story idea he had and Brevoort deferred to Marvel's writer of an ongoing series and didn't force him to change it.

Missed in what sense?
    Aside for Thanos meeting a future upgraded version of himself, Cates and Starlin stories are pretty different.

Also i assumed you weren't aware of Infinity Siblings and Conflict. Sorry.

I would really like if Marvel would put Thanos on a long hiatus after Infinity Ending.

I'm okay with that. Starlin became a one trick pony after Infinity Crusade and since 2002 every new Thanos story of his seems a remake of Gauntlet only with a more powerful macguffin. (the Heart of the Universe and that sphere he found on a asteroid in Infinity Conflict)

As for the recurring complaints about Starlin making Thanos and invincible Gary Stu, i think it really depends on who's Thanos and Warlock adversary. Starlin sees them as semi-abstract beings who can casually interact with the likes of Eternity, so i don't have much issue with Earth's heroes being treated like expendable red shirts in his stories since cosmic entities are above most of them, however, [SPOILER] Thanos assimilating the One Above All?[SPOILER/] I DO have issues with that.

BANNED

The first one was okayish and Starlin did a good job of adding depth to Eros's character but the second one didn't really have anything new to it and felt like retreading old ground: Thanos is his own worse enemy; Thanos is death; Thanos the master manipulator being manipulated and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    The first one was okayish and Starlin did a good job of adding depth to Eros's character but the second one didn't really have anything new to it and felt like retreading old ground: Thanos is his own worse enemy; Thanos is death; Thanos the master manipulator being manipulated and so on.
    I'm surprised he took him this long to develop Eros' character.

It's a shame that character is remembered only as C-lister with the negative stigma of being a sex offender.

Mighty Member

I'm surprised he took him this long to develop Eros' character.

It's a shame that character is remembered only as C-lister with the negative stigma of being a sex offender.
    Except he isn't a sex offender. He was proven innocent.