Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default SPIDER-MANDATE: Lowe Talks Spidey & Friends on the Edge of "Secret Wars"

SPIDER-MANDATE returns as Senior Editor Nick Lowe lays out the broad strokes of the event, the books involved and the impact on the Spider-line.

Full article here.

BANNED

My big worry with all these Spider titles/arcs/characters is that it will turn out like the 90's when they had four or five Spidey titles all going in different directions with no cohesion whatsoever. Result - junk. Not a lot of faith in Lowe as editor.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    My big worry with all these Spider titles/arcs/characters is that it will turn out like the 90's when they had four or five Spidey titles all going in different directions with no cohesion whatsoever. Result - junk. Not a lot of faith in Lowe as editor.
    I thought the 90s books were actually better when they were all going their separate directions. It was the pass-the-baton approach that didn't work as well (though in that approach's defense, the Superman triangle era was awesome).

BANNED

I don't see why Peter doesn't get to have a last days event? What Marvel thinks he's too good and everyman to face the end like everyone else?

Fantastic Member

Just once I'd like to see somebody at Marvel talk about "Renew Your Vows" without reading "Here! Here's your married Spider-Man! Now shut up already!" in the subtext.
    TeekVids <-- Check out the news every Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by Teek View Post
    Just once I'd like to see somebody at Marvel talk about "Renew Your Vows" without reading "Here! Here's your married Spider-Man! Now shut up already!" in the subtext.
    Vote with your wallet!

I do hope RYV and Spider-Verse become ongoings though.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 05-06-2015 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teek View Post
    you're much sharper than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Vote with your wallet!

I do hope RYV and Spider-Verse become ongoings though.
    Yes, after 8 years of giving new readers no reason to be invested in their relationship, having MJ give up on Peter and kick her out of the book completely for over a year, and during the height of Gwen's popularity due to Emma Stone, NOW we can vote with our wallets.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    now Marvel lets us vote with our wallets.
    did marvel ever take that away?

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    Well, in fairness, their PR talk is pretty dismissive that any of the drop in sales post-marriage is attributable to much past the general drop in comic sales across the board.

All-New Member

This all sounds really good, but I just wish we were getting a Last Days for Spider-Man 2099.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    Well no. But Marvel lost a lot of readers during BND as sales were in the 50-60k range all the way until Superior hit. That brought in a lot of new readers who could care less about Peter/MJ as they've been given no reason to. Also MJs popularity is the lowest ever with the general public and new readers due to TASM franchise making Gwen superior to MJ in the movies.

BANNED

MJ may never recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Well, in fairness, their PR talk is pretty dismissive that any of the drop in sales post-marriage is attributable to much past the general drop in comic sales across the board.
    I dropped comics in general over OMD/BND. coincidence? =p

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    which may or may not be "pr talk". and if it is purely spin and readership declined sharply because of the removal of the marriage, then marvel would know it. for all intents and purposes, the wallet votes still count.

i'd say that ryv is a even worse indicator, since it's happening during an event. events tend to boost sales.