Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    I also have that impression about him.

Interesting idea but I'd love that relationship!

I'm afraid if Tim comes out, he will become the 'LGBT/rainbow' Robin & that's it - thus, DC can say that there's queer male rep. in the Bat-fam.

Oh Bunker... Last year he appeared in a few RHATO issues, I was very happy.
    I don't understand why he has been sidelined for a long time when it's obvious he's a powerhouse. I mean he's frigging capable of creating energy constructs similarly to the Green Lanterns.
    [/QUOTE]

There’s nothing wrong with Tim being the “rainbow” Robin as long as that’s not all they do with him. And there’s no reason that has to limit what they do with him.
    As they struggle to find a relevant place for him as the middle child of the Robins, it could make him stand out a little more, give him a little media buzz.
    No one is asking for tokenism. People who want a queer Tim want him to get strong story and characterization too.

Incredible Member

It's crazy how the Robin with over 100+ solo issues is considered the "middle child" of the Robins. What a fall from grace.

And J. D. Guy, I'm glad you enjoyed Jason! But the secret twin thing that Geoff Johns initially thought of was already...cliched, but then Robinson seemed intent to make Jason better than Diana and that didn't sit right with me.

In theory, a bi twin brother would be cool for her. What we were given, I very much felt was lackluster and not a character I'm in a rush to see again. Anyways, Diana has all the queer af Amazons as her sisters! Now I'm hard pressed to think of any queer male Diana has interacted with, outside of Constantine in JLD.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    It's crazy how the Robin with over 100+ solo issues is considered the "middle child" of the Robins. What a fall from grace.

And J. D. Guy, I'm glad you enjoyed Jason! But the secret twin thing that Geoff Johns initially thought of was already...cliched, but then Robinson seemed intent to make Jason better than Diana and that didn't sit right with me.

In theory, a bi twin brother would be cool for her. What we were given, I very much felt was lackluster and not a character I'm in a rush to see again. Anyways, Diana has all the queer af Amazons as her sisters! Now I'm hard pressed to think of any queer male Diana has interacted with, outside of Constantine in JLD.
    Diana was sympathetic to Myndi Myer’s gay brother at the reading of Myndi’s will.
    I think Diana was probably in the JLA in the 90s at the same time as Obsidian before he was officially out but at the time he told Nuklon he loved him but didn’t identify as anything.
    She’s at least met Aqualad in Young Justice.
    She’s fought against Prometheus who seems to be gay or bi.
    I struggle to think of anything more significant but there’s not that many prominent queer men around for her to be interacting with.
    I include myself among the anti Jason fans. I prefer Earth 1 Nubia as her twin.
    Last edited by witchboy; 07-28-2021 at 02:20 PM.

It is shocking to realize how far in prominence Tim has fallen in recent years.
    Having the Robin mantle stripped from him, and then the Red Robin mantle as well really hurt him. Hopefully he’s bouncing back from that. There’s just no denying Damien is responsible for Tim being neglected and devalued by DC. I’d definitely support a Tim/Robin title.
    A role in the Titans show, reclaiming the Robin mantle and possibly coming out will hopefully restore his place of importance.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Having the Robin mantle stripped from him, and then the Red Robin mantle as well really hurt him. Hopefully he’s bouncing back from that. There’s just no denying Damien is responsible for Tim being neglected and devalued by DC. I’d definitely support a Tim/Robin title.
    A role in the Titans show, reclaiming the Robin mantle and possibly coming out will hopefully restore his place of importance.
    Funny how Morrison created Damian to kill him off, but they didn't foresee how popular the biological son of Batman and Talia would be.

They should just make Tim and Conner official and give us the Queer Super Sons lol.

Astonishing Member

Cullen could be the Midnighter sidekick I never knew I wanted.
    Goodness, yes! It would be perfect! Heck, Cullen has even remarked positively at how Midnighters is Gay!Batman. Their time together was legit, and I'd love for Cullen to become his official/unofficial apprentice and general mentee. (Part of me still likes to fanon that they've kept in touch.)

One of the things I enjoyed about Midnighter's New 52 presence is how it showed that the guy has pretty good range. (Much of this can be attributed to Orlando's run of the character.) He'd make a perfect mentor to a lot of people, but especially queer youths, I feel.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post

Definitely not the vibe I got from Jason's time in that book. Definitely not.

As to the the notion of being cliché? Eh. This is fiction. I don't got a problem with that type of "cliché".

Astonishing Member

I've never really got the fan-based narrative that Tim was "stripped from the Robin mantle". It's more that he grew into a new, more specialized mantle for himself. (I miss Red Robin and the New 52 look. ) I'm also neither here nor there with Tim being back to be being original-flavor Robin again. (I'm one of the handful who liked the idea of Drake and would have liked seeing them go with that for longer than they did.)

And while I can understand where some of it might come from, I can't, in good faith, ascribe to the notion that "someone's to blame" (maybe some of Tim's more toxic fans, I guess?). I don't like the feeling that's sometimes present where you "have to like Tim or Damian, but never both".

Tangential to the topic at hand, of course.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

What do you think of Diana's brother, Jason?

He was revealed to be bisexual in Orlando's run, & the writer also confirmed in a tweet that Jason is queer (he used that word specifically). I think Jason hasn't been used since Orlando's run... which is bad considering that Jason is an LGBT character... but to be honest, I didn't really get attached to him, he was sorta meh.

Attachment 111931
    The run including him was so bad and fans hate him so much he's pretty radioactive. Fans don't even like the idea of Diana having a brother so if he does return, expect him to die, turn evil or get retconned out of being Diana's brother.

What I'm saying is don't board the Argo because the next time he shows up, his ship will probably be sunk.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The run including him was so bad and fans hate him so much he's pretty radioactive. Fans don't even like the idea of Diana having a brother so if he does return, expect him to die, turn evil or get retconned out of being Diana's brother.

What I'm saying is don't board the Argo because the next time he shows up, his ship will probably be sunk.
    That would suck for me, I guess.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Jason could return one day. They might reboot him and give him a new backstory and he could be part of Diana's supporting cast. But I don't want him to be Diana's brother. Diana should remain an only child.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

If he comes back, he'll likely change. I'm sorry, bud. We all fall in love with characters destined to hurt us sooner or later.

Sometimes the change is better in the long run. I hope whatever happens to Jason in the future is something net positive to fans like yourself.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

There’s nothing wrong with Tim being the “rainbow” Robin as long as that’s not all they do with him. No one is asking for tokenism. People who want a queer Tim want him to get strong story and characterization too.
    *chef's kiss* Please tell me you're a writer or editor at DC & currently writing a Tim solo book that would be announced in the next solicitations.

She’s fought against Prometheus who seems to be gay or bi.
    Wait... Is Prometheus gay/bi? I didn't know about that...

I've never really got the fan-based narrative that Tim was "stripped from the Robin mantle". It's more that he grew into a new, more specialized mantle for himself. (I miss Red Robin and the New 52 look. ) I'm also neither here nor there with Tim being back to be being original-flavor Robin again. (I'm one of the handful who liked the idea of Drake and would have liked seeing them go with that for longer than they did.)
    I also have the opinion that Tim should find his own unique voice/mantle, like Dick did when he reinvented himself as Nightwing. Damian can keep the Robin title to himself. But I have to admit, I didn't like the Drake alias in Bendis' YJ. Actually, I hated that brown outfit...

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Was he really that unpopular? I'd have never thought of that...

Finally, off-topic, but it's good to see this thread so active! All of you are amazing here!
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

*chef's kiss* Please tell me you're a writer or editor at DC & currently writing a Tim solo book that would be announced in the next solicitations.

Wait... Is Prometheus gay/bi? I didn't know about that...

I also have the opinion that Tim should find his own unique voice/mantle, like Dick did when he reinvented himself as Nightwing. Damian can keep the Robin title to himself. But I have to admit, I didn't like the Drake alias in Bendis' YJ. Actually, I hated that brown outfit...

Was he really that unpopular? I'd have never thought of that...

Finally, off-topic, but it's good to see this thread so active! All of you are amazing here!
    I'm sorry to disappoint, but I don't work in comics at all.
    Prometheus seduced Midnighter as part of a job, so that leaves his orientation questionable.

Incredible Member

Haha, thanks!

Def wish we had more than Crush and Lobo and I guess Aquaman/lad in the coming months. And Obsidian and Alan have starring roles in Infinite Frontier, so that's nice.

I'm wondering if we'll see Kate lead a book anytime soon. Now with Batwoman II (I guess she'd be III if we count Kathy), things seem potentially complicated. But maybe in that fun comic book way. DC has brought Ryan into the fold in comics so clearly they're thinking about her, at least. Who knows if they'll connect her with Kate though because she's only really been seen connected with Babs.

I know JLQ lost the fan poll, but a JLQ one shot or OGN could be cool!

So currently we have Harley, Wonder Woman, Crush and Lobo and the Midnighter back-up for books with queer leads, even if DC plays coy with Diana's obvious queerness.

I'd love to add a Batwoman solo or team-up with Question Renee and a Catman solo or Secret Six on-going (would love to see Scandal, Jeanette, and Knockout again!).

What would you folx like to see in terms of books with queer leads/queer team members?