Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

I think people are having a hard time putting themselves in the shoes of the Fox News people. They are aware that the Serpent Society is an evil hate group, they don't mistakenly think the characters in the comic itself are real conservatives. What they are upset about is that an evil hate group is being shown espousing beliefs and rhetoric that actual, real life conservatives are espousing right now. The comic is implying that the beliefs shared by many normal conservatives are the kind of thing an evil hate group would believe.

Imagine if Marvel released a comic where Captain America had to defend some conservative Christians from being killed by an evil hate group (this hate group is also wearing snake costumes, just to keep the metaphor consistent). And this hate group keeps talking about "structural oppression," "internalized racism and homophobia," and when Captain America tries to talk them down peacefully they say that he is "microaggressing" against them and trying to "silence" them whenever he criticizes something they do. I think a lot of people would be upset because evil murderers are being portrayed as having the same kind of beliefs that many normal nonviolent people on the Left espouse.

For that matter, I seem to remember people being upset that in "The Dark Knight Rises," Bane adopted the sort of rhetoric that the Occupy Movement frequently used. People didn't like hearing their political beliefs coming out of the mouths of supervillains. Actual Occupy people didn't like being portrayed as violent killers.

People can go on all they want about how the Serpent Society aren't real conservatives, they're an evil supervillain hate group. But I think we all know what is really going on. By having an evil hate group say the exact same kinds of things that real conservatives do, Spencer is trying to imply that normal everyday conservatives are evil and hateful.

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

When I first read this, I honestly missinterputed the ending. I honestly thought that The Sons of the Serpent were trying to commit a hate crime because you know, it's them. But after reading that the ending makes much more sense as to why Steve Rogers was helping them. I have to agree that Cap was in the wrong on this one. I don't hate him for it because I know he's trying to help, but what he did was morally grey. That being said, I still like the new direction the series is going in. I like how Sam Wilson is like Huey Freeman from the Boondocks
    in a way that makes him a controversially opinionated person (and not always in a good way), but also have unique ideas for the betterment of mankind.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

BANNED

Neither the comic or Fox News has a particularly nuanced view of the immigration issue. Difference is that the comic is only 1 issue in and could improve, whereas Fox News has peddled trash since its conception and shows no signs of stopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post
    When I first read this, I honestly missinterputed the ending. I honestly thought that The Sons of the Serpent were trying to commit a hate crime because you know, it's them. But after reading that the ending makes much more sense as to why Steve Rogers was helping them. I have to agree that Cap was in the wrong on this one. I don't hate him for it because I know he's trying to help, but what he did was morally grey. That being said, I still like the new direction the series is going in. I like how Sam Wilson is like Huey Freeman from the Boondocks
    in a way that makes him a controversially opinionated person (and not always in a good way), but also have unique ideas for the betterment of mankind.
    Then you still misinterpreted it. Cap fought them because they flat out threaten to kill HIM. Prior to that he tells them to just go home, and you know, not kidnap people.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Somebody better keep Fox news away from Englehart's Captain America and Gerber's Defenders from the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghatanathoah View Post

Imagine if Marvel released a comic where Captain America had to defend some conservative Christians from being killed by an evil hate group (this hate group is also wearing snake costumes, just to keep the metaphor consistent). And this hate group keeps talking about "structural oppression," "internalized racism and homophobia," and when Captain America tries to talk them down peacefully they say that he is "microaggressing" against them and trying to "silence" them whenever he criticizes something they do. I think a lot of people would be upset because evil murderers are being portrayed as having the same kind of beliefs that many normal nonviolent people on the Left espouse.
    Do these supposed liberal terrorists talking about institutionalized racism tell Cap that he'll be dead sooner rather than later and then try to shoot him? Kind of like what happened in the book.*

*By "kind of" I mean "exactly."
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    *sighs* My kingdom for more people like us. And in turn, my last post on a thread I normally would never, NEVER participate in...but otherwise, I wouldn't have the chance to say this: There are a lot of problems with this brave new world, but among the most glaring of them are way, WAY too many people being too damn political for their britches, and allowing that to be a 'reason' to be as entitled as all get-out (another problem with this gawdforsaken world, another discussion) and tell people how to conduct themselves and/or how idiotic they're being for not thinking or doing things a certain and only proper way, nor voting for the 'correct' people. The day politics go back to not being everywhere, even and especially in things and entities originally designed to escape from such malarkey, AND people wake up and realize that, regardless of party, all politicians are selfish bullsh*tters, is the day that *gasp* the world might actually be a (even if minimally somewhat) better place.
    Amazing how this line of thought is always dragged out in a manner that serves right-wing interests. "You there! Stop caring about what kind of society you live in!"
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

I think people are having a hard time putting themselves in the shoes of the Fox News people. They are aware that the Serpent Society is an evil hate group, they don't mistakenly think the characters in the comic itself are real conservatives. What they are upset about is that an evil hate group is being shown espousing beliefs and rhetoric that actual, real life conservatives are espousing right now. The comic is implying that the beliefs shared by many normal conservatives are the kind of thing an evil hate group would believe.

For that matter, I seem to remember people being upset that in "The Dark Knight Rises," Bane adopted the sort of rhetoric that the Occupy Movement frequently used. People didn't like hearing their political beliefs coming out of the mouths of supervillains. Actual Occupy people didn't like being portrayed as violent killers.

People can go on all they want about how the Serpent Society aren't real conservatives, they're an evil supervillain hate group. But I think we all know what is really going on. By having an evil hate group say the exact same kinds of things that real conservatives do, Spencer is trying to imply that normal everyday conservatives are evil and hateful.
    Ok, here's the thing. The reason the SoS is considered an evil, hate group is because they do/say evil/hateful things like killing illegal immigrants. Now, unless Fox News and the people they represent also want to kill illegal immigrants then they shouldn't be offended. The writer didn't say anything about agreeing/disagreeing with illegal immigration. The writer only made a point about killing illegals in cold blodd is wrong, which I would hope all of us can agree on.

Also, the SoS have always been portrayed this way. They didn't just start making them sound like this as a dig at conservatives. So what should be concerning to Fox & Friends is why do they (conservatives) say things that an evil hate group says.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Amazing how this line of thought is always dragged out in a manner that serves right-wing interests. "You there! Stop caring about what kind of society you live in!"
    Everybody cares about what kind of society they live in. The difference between the right and the left is that the right thinks the left's policies will make society worse, and vice versa. People naturally get upset when they're told that they're evil unless they support a policy (whatever that policy may be) even though they believe it will make things worse.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    I don't get it.

Was he really saying "etc etc" out loud?
    Yes. Which is a DIRECT tip-off that the guy saying this is only paying lip service to what he's espousing as an excuse to go beat people up, or whatever it is he's doing. Not the typical conservative.

I guess comics are a little too high brow for Fox to grasp?
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Ok, here's the thing. The reason the SoS is considered an evil, hate group is because they do/say evil/hateful things like killing illegal immigrants. Now, unless Fox News and the people they represent also want to kill illegal immigrants then they shouldn't be offended. The writer didn't say anything about agreeing/disagreeing with illegal immigration. The writer only made a point about killing illegals in cold blodd is wrong, which I would hope all of us can agree on.

Also, the SoS have always been portrayed this way. They didn't just start making them sound like this as a dig at conservatives. So what should be concerning to Fox & Friends is why do they (conservatives) say things that an evil hate group says.
    Hear, hear!

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Everybody cares about what kind of society they live in. The difference between the right and the left is that the right thinks the left's policies will make society worse, and vice versa. People naturally get upset when they're told that they're evil unless they support a policy (whatever that policy may be) even though they believe it will make things worse.
    I'm pretty sure both the bible and the constitution converge on the whole "murder is wrong" issue. Which was what the story in question was actually about.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 10-19-2015 at 11:56 AM.
    Pull List:

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Yep. All of the post but especially this.

Pull List:

You know I was born in the US but seeing stuff like this makes me actually glad that Im not living in that country anymore.
    "This is me being reasonable"

I think people are having a hard time putting themselves in the shoes of the Fox News people.
    [cheap shot]Well, I've no idea what kind of shoes cretins wear.[/cheap shot]

They are aware that the Serpent Society is an evil hate group, they don't mistakenly think the characters in the comic itself are real conservatives. What they are upset about is that an evil hate group is being shown espousing beliefs and rhetoric that actual, real life conservatives are espousing right now. The comic is implying that the beliefs shared by many normal conservatives are the kind of thing an evil hate group would believe.
    The thing is, it's got facts to back it up. American conservatism was colonized and conquered by the kooks some time ago, and it's only gotten worse with time. We've got serving politicians advocating internment camps. Mike Huckabee's running for President, and last week he advocated selling the poor into slavery. Supporters of Donald Trump have beaten people they thought were illegal immigrants, and his only response was to say that his supporters are "passionate". Reality matters.

I, for one, would be disgusted at the disingenuousness of claiming that anyone's going around trying to kill conservative Christians. (Versus immigrants, legal or illegal, which is a thing that does happen.) Or trying to cast a philosophical approach to inequality in society as "hate speech". Or any of a dozen other forms of bullshit lurking in that metaphor. Again, reality matters.

Probably because they weren't and aren't violent killers, or hedonistic anarchists, or a threat to the sanctity of the whitebread middle class family, or anything else that movie tried to paint them as with its brush o'bullshit. The only accurate thing that movie said about the social justice left is that David Goyer is scared shitless of them.

To be fair, the gang at Fox and Friends aren't violent killers either. But they sure don't have a problem standing up for them, provided they're the right kind.

Maybe conservative leaders and groups should stop using evil, hateful rhetoric, then.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist