Page 153 of 374 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163203253 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,295 of 5596
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Wrong metaphore. The bar isn't a metaphor for a gay bar, and the aliens aren't metaphors for LGBT people. They're metaphors (so thin you can't really call it that IMO) for immigrants, illegal and otherwise.
    Never said that. I see it as having a potential for more than an illegal immigrant bar--I see it as an open metaphor bar. So under that umbrella you can bring in a lot of themes, not just illegal immigrants. But also including LGBTQ--the Q is important, as I see all the aliens fitting under the Q (or maybe Q & Q) rubric.

Illegal aliens is just the most obvious metaphor--it's not even a metaphor as that's literally what they are. But comics, going all the way back to the Legion of Super-Heroes, have always been able to talk about interesting themes through the device of extraterrestrial cultures. And here you have a CHEERS bar as a convenient set for mutliple situations that use the metaphor to explore various platforms, without being obvious.

And that's a lot less expensive for the producers than cloud nebula cities in space.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Never said that. I see it as having a potential for more than an illegal immigrant bar--I see it as an open metaphor bar. So under that umbrella you can bring in a lot of themes, not just illegal immigrants. But also including LGBTQ--the Q is important, as I see all the aliens fitting under the Q (or maybe Q & Q) rubric.
    The way I see it, we're decades past the time these things have to be hadled through metaphors. I mean, they have an actual lesbian couple in the show, why bother watering things down with metaphors when they have the actual thing?

The CW has announced the dates for its next major “Arrowverse” crossover. Arrow will be moved to Monday after Supergirl for the cross-over.

At an executive session during the Television Critics Association summer press tour, CW president Mark Pedowitz revealed that the four-show crossover will begin on Monday, Nov. 27.
    The crossover will begin with “Supergirl” and followed by “Arrow,” which will be moving to Monday night from it’s usual Thursday time slot for the four-part story. The crossover will wrap
    up on Tuesday, Nov. 28 with “The Flash” and “Legends of Tomorrow.”

Last year’s crossover event — titled “Invasion!” — was pegged as a four-show crossover, but really only took place through “The Flash,” “Arrow,” and “Legends of Tomorrow.”
    According to Pedowitz, that’s not the case this year. “It’s a full, four-episode crossover,” he added.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/arro...sh-1202513591/

Retired

Concept art for the crossover:

Supergirl/Mon-El Backlash Draws Reaction From CW Boss

There was a backlash, huh? Very interesting. Very interesting indeed.

Another source.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post

Another source.
    The only backlash I can think of is from KaraxLena shippers, or at least the same people who took issue when Lena's old flame showed up.

Though even if you didn't care for the relationship, I don't think it was ever as much of an issue as the Olicity melodrama that plagued seasons 3 and 4 of Arrow, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The only backlash I can think of is from KaraxLena shippers, or at least the same people who took issue when Lena's old flame showed up.
    Because it showed up in the news? Or was trending a bit? I find it hard to believe if only a handful of people had a problem with Kara and Mon-El it would have warranted a statement from the CW Boss himself.

Though even if you didn't care for the relationship, I don't think it was ever as much of an issue as the Olicity melodrama that plagued seasons 3 and 4 of Arrow, but that's just me.
    I admit I tend to just stay here, but to see if something is really hated or really adored I have to get a bigger sample outside of CBR. I didn't like Olicity either but it endured for a while to the point where maybe the people who hated it was in the minority.

Retired

People who write teaser headlines are very good at their jobs. I can't fault them for that. If I could make a living at it, I'd probably be doing the same thing.

When I click on these things, it's myself I blame for being so stupid that I let them dupe me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post

Another source.
    The kara'/ mon el romance didn't really bother me until his parents showed up, and the show went down the alien takover route they'd already done in season one. I was more tired of the alien amnesty" political agenda plot that basically took over the bulk of the season. I wasn't thrilled with winn's alien girlfriend either.

I don't think it was just that. From reviews and comments I read here and there, there did seem to be a notable consensus that Mon-el was given waaaaay too much focus throughout the season, with the series arc feeling considerably more like it was his story rather than Kara's.

It didn't help that his development was patchy. He was a douche. He tried not to be a douche. He was still a bit douchey. He suddenly wasn't a douche but he still kinda felt like one. And then all his family stuff happened and it was hard to feel much sympathy for him. Speaking for meself, there was never a definable moment where I felt myself warming to him or buying in to Kara's feelings for him. It was all just a bit meh and half-arsed.

Fact is, he felt like he was there to give the show more of a CW feel. Your bog standard pretty boy who was suddenly getting all the focus over the supposed main character of the show. And man, let's not get started on how often Kara got nerfed this season. Having her kick Clark's ass at the end of the year was kinda cool, but it just felt so out of left field considering how many times she's needed to be saved over the course of season.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    I don't think it was just that. From reviews and comments I read here and there, there did seem to be a notable consensus that Mon-el was given waaaaay too much focus throughout the season, with the series arc feeling considerably more like it was his story rather than Kara's.

It didn't help that his development was patchy. He was a douche. He tried not to be a douche. He was still a bit douchey. He suddenly wasn't a douche but he still kinda felt like one. And then all his family stuff happened and it was hard to feel much sympathy for him. Speaking for meself, there was never a definable moment where I felt myself warming to him or buying in to Kara's feelings for him. It was all just a bit meh and half-arsed.

Fact is, he felt like he was there to give the show more of a CW feel. Your bog standard pretty boy who was suddenly getting all the focus over the supposed main character of the show. And man, let's not get started on how often Kara got nerfed this season. Having her kick Clark's ass at the end of the year was kinda cool, but it just felt so out of left field considering how many times she's needed to be saved over the course of season.
    QFT

Mon-El was extremely unlikable but the show revolved around him and Kara and there was nothing to be done about it. Season 1 Kara would've confronted him about his behavior, but season 2 Kara was like a lovesick puppy.

Plus the elephant in the room, how Mehcad Brooks' James Olsen was sidelined as both a romantic interest for Kara and as a supporting character of the main cast during season 2. After an entire season of building up to a relationship between Kara and James, all for it to be thrown out at the start of season 2. In favor of KaraM-El.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    QFT

Mon-El was extremely unlikable but the show revolved around him and Kara and there was nothing to be done about it. Season 1 Kara would've confronted him about his behavior, but season 2 Kara was like a lovesick puppy.

Plus the elephant in the room, how Mehcad Brooks' James Olsen was sidelined as both a romantic interest for Kara and as a supporting character of the main cast during season 2. After an entire season of building up to a relationship between Kara and James, all for it to be thrown out at the start of season 2. In favor of KaraM-El.
    In fairness. A lot of fans simply weren't into James and Kara as a couple.

And she did confront his behavior. Most of the relationship fights they had were about his behavior.
    Last edited by Baseman; 08-03-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post

Ok, that seems like a legitimate criticisms.

Not ones I particularly agree with, but fair all the same.

My only real issue with Mon-El on the show is that he didn't really feel like Mon-El.

Extraordinary Member

Ok, that seems like a legitimate criticisms.

Not ones I particularly agree with, but fair all the same.

My only real issue with Mon-El on the show is that he didn't really feel like Mon-El.
    Agreed.

The character seems a lot more like Legion of Super Hero supporting character Dev-Em than Mon-El.

Mon-El was never a "lovable rogue".

I just wish he had gotten some sort of costume