View Poll Results: Who is your favorite black DC character?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Lightning

11 12.09%
  • Nubia

2 2.20%
  • Mr. Terrific

11 12.09%
  • Aqualad (Jackson Hyde/Kaldur'ahm)

7 7.69%
  • The Signal (Duke Thomas)

2 2.20%
  • Kid Flash (Wallace West)

1 1.10%
  • Static

11 12.09%
  • Naomi McDuffie

1 1.10%
  • Amanda Waller

6 6.59%
  • Steel (I & II)

6 6.59%
  • Black Manta

5 5.49%
  • Bronze Tiger

6 6.59%
  • Icon & Rocket

1 1.10%
  • Bumblebee

5 5.49%
  • Other

16 17.58%
Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, he can write Mr. Miracle and Barda well enough but they're kind of the "normal" ones of the New Gods.

Huh, that's interesting. She shares Guy and John's background to some degree.

Now that you mention it, I can kind of see Convergence Brainiac.

It still looks utterly terrifying in that page to me, though.
    Oh, it does look terrifying but that's more Fabok than the design.

And that's just New 52 Guy. Pre-FP he wasn't a cop if I recall correctly. High school gym teacher and social worker if memory serves. Even so, we're getting so many human GLs eventually it's going to be that you can pick from a pool of backstories and traits and still need to narrow it down between a few of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Police and military. I know DC likes to trend younger on their heroes when they can but I still expect she's somewhere late 20s.

I'm with you, actually. The Darkseid War look is just "discount Brainiac on skis" It's drawn very well, but the design is uninspired. Brainiac, Grid, and pretty much every robot you can think of. The other look has more personality even if it's not my favorite.

Hot take but he's kind of not great at most characters. He just gets his own universes so **** gets to actually happen as opposed to needing to tread the status quo line and fool you into thinking big stuff is happening with super solid characterization. It distracts you from how comically bad his Diana is or how much he stans Harley Quinn.

He does have his great moments, I'll give him those, but for every "Superman saying goodbye to Jon" you get "Diana with a Kryptonite Sword getting one-punched because lulz she sucks" or "Lex casually and vulnerably admitting Batman is smarter than him" a few times in my experience. I dunno, he's been overrated in my readings, but he is such a nice dude from all accounts that I can't help but hope he writes something I too can enjoy.
    Preaching to the choir man. It’s telling that he’s never had the same success with the mainline as he’s had with his “everyone gets brutally murdered” Elseworlds.

What about the Final Crisis design for Black Racer?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Preaching to the choir man. It’s telling that he’s never had the same success with the mainline as he’s had with his “everyone gets brutally murdered” Elseworlds.

Kind of looks like it's progressing towards the Darkseid War design, but also reminds me a lot of Darkhawk.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    he's a pretty nonchalant guy when we first meet everyone, he can only run in short bursts and he has a potbelly; so a pretty shitty speedster is what we're supposed to get from him. he becomes more assertive and active over time and dies a hero's death deactivating or removing (I forget) the bombs for everyone else but he couldn't get his in time. Tom Taylor's Suicide Squad is honestly the best suicide run in a LONG time (and I actually am a fan of some of their other incarnations), definitely was a stealth book for the revolutionaries but it worked great as a Suicide Squad team regardless. it's short, effective, and to the point.

the black Lightning is new, they were white/light blue before he died.
    That does sound intriguing, I must say!

And as much as I like my athletic and/or beefy guy heroes, I can appreciate the nuance in making Jog be toned in some areas but having a pot-belly that sticks out in his gut. If for no other reason, this type of body diversity isn't really seen, especially not in a light of a superhero do good, so it's a pretty cool change of pace.

His outfit's pretty cool, too. Mix between urban free-runner/parkour/traceur, with a bit of superhero flair.

It's too bad that this happens when the book ends. Would have been nice to actually explore the implied ramifications of the son of a god of death being resurrected after having died himself. Like, in what ways has his powers been augmented and increased? I presume that energy being black now is meant to be more than just for aesthetics.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 11-25-2020 at 09:41 AM.

Cylon with a red visor. It's less intimidating, which is a bit more in line with what Kirby seemed to be going for, so I like it a bit more. But it's probably the most boring of the bunch because it's just a suit of armor and LED strip.

This was the version I was introduced to, it's such a weird design that I **** with it; it's just the lack of color for me. iunno, if this design was regular character design I wouldn't hate it but I wouldn't be super happy about, but this design works better as a silent entity.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

You should see Kirby’s original goofy design. Kirby sure loved his colors.

This was the version I was introduced to, it's such a weird design that I **** with it; it's just the lack of color for me. iunno, if this design was regular character design I wouldn't hate it but I wouldn't be super happy about, but this design works better as a silent entity.
    It was my first intro to the character too, that’s probably why I like it
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    You should see Kirby’s original goofy design. Kirby sure loved his colors.
    I’ve seen it, hey no one hits it out of the park 100% of the time lol.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    That does sound intriguing, I must say!

And as much as I like my athletic and/or beefy guy heroes, I can appreciate the nuance in making Jog be toned in some areas but having a pot-belly that sticks out in his gut. If for no other reason, this type of body diversity isn't really seen, especially not in a light of a superhero do good, so it's a pretty cool change of pace.

His outfit's pretty cool, too. Mix between urban free-runner/parkour/traceur, with a bit of superhero flair.

It's too bad that this happens when the book ends. Would have been nice to actually explore the implied ramifications of the son of a god of death being resurrected after having died himself. Like, in what ways has his powers been augmented and increased? I presume that energy being black now is meant to be more than just for aesthetics.
    well when he wakes up Black Racer tells him "everything that held you back is gone" so I'm guessing him only able to do short bursts was due to his mortality holding him back because we see him running faster and longer than he was before (I won't spoil because I honestly recommend you read the run). I'm with you tho, it would've been great to have more time to explore this new revelation. I'm bummed about it but that has more to do with my hesitation in believing DC will follow it up without Tom Taylor writing a Revolutionaries book or taking Jog with him wherever he ends up next.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 11-25-2020 at 10:18 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Samuel Song (Jog)

currently following:

Samuel Song (Jog)
    His fit beer belly is giving me life.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    His fit beer belly is giving me life.
    same, I really hope he gets to keep it even after his "awakening" so to speak. it's not uncommon to suddenly get fit with new power levels in fiction. the belly gives his design so much character, and paired with his hair, his silhouette (in or out of costume) is wholly distinct as far as DC black male characters, which is the mark of a great character design. I was really enjoying Jog's character when he died (and I really liked his death) so this New Gods reveal has just rocketed him up the list of my favorite new additions this year. plus, I'm a sucker for black lightning effects and they gave it to a West African? love to see!

and hey, he's an African [New] God, Vixen's an African hero powered by African Gods; if we don't get a Revolutionaries book to follow up on maybe we could see him crossover there one day.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 11-25-2020 at 10:32 PM.

currently following:

Samuel Song (Jog)

That is some great artwork. Very kinetic. The silhouette panels really pop!

How old is Jo from Far Sector supposed to be?
    Mid to late 20's.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wasn't she in the police force on Earth? So she has to be at least in her 20's.
    She went to college but we don't know what for, but let's say it's standard 4 yrs, she'd be around 21, then she joined the military but we don't for how long, then she joined the police force but it doesn't long to become a police officer, but we still don't know how long she was a NYPD officer.

So mid to late 20's.

This is what has me confused. She looks like she's supposed to be around the same age as everyone on her JL team.
    1.This future is not set in stone, so her age doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

2. There is a Flash from another earth on the team, who's to say that Jo isn't from the past who winds up in the future.

3. Jo's been deep in space for her first ever mission, we don't know how time works there in comparison to earth, what if a whole 20 to 50 years has passed while she's in City Enduring.

Her future state costume is nearly identical to her Far Sector one. Let me just hope Far Sector is set in the future and I missed it somewhere...
    Far Sector is definitely not set into the future, but NK Jemisin said she looked to continuity to make sure that DC could place the character anywhere when they wanted to use her.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 11-26-2020 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Mid to late 20's.

She went to college but we don't know what for, but let's say it's standard 4 yrs, she'd be around 21, then she joined the military but we don't for how long, then she joined the police force but it doesn't long to become a police officer, but we still don't know how long she was a NYPD officer.

So mid to late 20's.

1.This future is not set in stone, so her age doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

2. There is a Flash from another earth on the team, who's to say that Jo isn't from the past who winds up in the future.

3. Jo's been deep in space for her first ever mission, we don't know how time works there in comparison to earth, what if a whole 20 to 50 years has passed while she's in City Enduring.

Far Sector is definitely not set into the future, but NK Jemisin said she looked to continuity to make sure that DC could place the character anywhere when they wanted to use her.
    thanks for the info
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?