Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! It will!

31 60.78%
  • Ehhh...I don't think so

20 39.22%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    That's what I'm saying the MCU has pumpt spider Man back up they may see this as a sign that they don't need marvel anymore how big would that villain unvers thing be with spider Man init? How much money do they stand to make? Don't forget they can probably allweys make another deal down the line if they have to allso people who work in movies can be stupid.
    If the pull Spiderman they ain't getting back in on the MCU. Also again I dont know if they are allowed to use this iteration of Spiderman in other movies. Seems like something Marvel would have worried about when cating Holland. I dont know who's in charge at Sony but I'd hope they would look at the factor and realize pulling Spiderman is in no way a sure thing. I think if they can maybe get movies that make money and review well in Morbius and Venom 2. Then maybe they can convince themselves but honestly if they do that well, why add Peter? Let Venom and Morbius be the anti heroes of this universe joined by black cat and Sable. You dont need Spiderman if these movies are huge hits and if they arent huge hits why leave a sure thing with the MCU to join it. I dont see enough upside for Sony right now. But from the sounds of it Marvel gets atleast one more movie if they cross 1b which they will.

Ultimate Member

That's what I'm saying the MCU has pumpt spider Man back up they may see this as a sign that they don't need marvel anymore how big would that villain unvers thing be with spider Man init? How much money do they stand to make? Don't forget they can probably allweys make another deal down the line if they have to allso people who work in movies can be stupid.
    Very true.

From that perspective, it's not entirely impossible. Although under this current arrangement, the proceeds from the movie go entirely to Sony, so it's pretty much a win-win for them at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    If the pull Spiderman they ain't getting back in on the MCU.
    Sure they will spider Man is to big name and to big a pull for marvel to turn down.

Sure they will spider Man is to big name and to big a pull for marvel to turn down.
    Marvel doesnt need Spiderman at all. But hes they're biggest merchandise mover sonil it's nice to have creative control and be able to use him. But marvel has shown they can sell unknown characters just aswell on screen as Spiderman. Not to mention they got the Xmen and F4 back now. The MCU is built on continuity. They arent gonna allow Sony to do they're own thing and then jsut try to wiggle back in. Sony would have to wait till they reboot the MCU. Prior it the MCU Spiderman,Hulk and Wolverine are probaly Marvels biggest names and movies about Ironman,Black Panther,GOTG,Captain Marvel etc have gone on too be as big or in some cases bigger. MCU doesn't need Spiderman at all, but obviously hes nice to have. He also had a rich villian roster 2nd only to Batman. But Sony only giving them partial access to the villians anyway.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Very true.

From that perspective, it's not entirely impossible. Although under this current arrangement, the proceeds from the movie go entirely to Sony, so it's pretty much a win-win for them at the moment.
    They'd be fools to do anything other than continue this partnership. Let Marvel make them a lot of money, they've proven pretty demonstrably they can't do that without them.

And even if they thought they could, it's extremely risky.

After seeing Far From Home there is no way IMO Feige did that film with that narrative without there being a new deal In place they'll announce it at Comic-Con IMO.

Marvel doesnt need Spiderman at all. But hes they're biggest merchandise mover sonil it's nice to have creative control and be able to use him. But marvel has shown they can sell unknown characters just aswell on screen as Spiderman. Not to mention they got the Xmen and F4 back now. The MCU is built on continuity. They arent gonna allow Sony to do they're own thing and then jsut try to wiggle back in. Sony would have to wait till they reboot the MCU. Prior it the MCU Spiderman,Hulk and Wolverine are probaly Marvels biggest names and movies about Ironman,Black Panther,GOTG,Captain Marvel etc have gone on too be as big or in some cases bigger. MCU doesn't need Spiderman at all, but obviously hes nice to have. He also had a rich villian roster 2nd only to Batman. But Sony only giving them partial access to the villians anyway.
    “Allow Sony”. You realise Sony are in this arrangement voluntarily. They can walk at any time and they don’t need to ‘re-sign’ anything because the deal is not finite it’s an arrangement.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-17-2019 at 02:49 PM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    They'd be fools to do anything other than continue this partnership. Let Marvel make them a lot of money, they've proven pretty demonstrably they can't do that without them.

And even if they thought they could, it's extremely risky.

They made a good amount of money with Venom. They will do that again.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Quite the opposite.

Granted foreign markets hadn't blown up they have now, Sony have never been able to make Spider-man into a billion dollar movie despite the characters popularity worldwide.

The only reason the movie has rebounded from the disaster of the Amazing Spider-man movies and reaching it is right now is because of the MCU.
    Thats only because the first trilogy was released back when ticket prices were much less. Adjusted for Inflation the first Spiderman film made 626 million domestically. Adjusting foreign money is difficult due to different inflation rates but it made 418 million there meaning even before adjustment its over a billion.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Thats only because the first trilogy was released back when ticket prices were much less. Adjusted for Inflation the first Spiderman film made 626 million domestically. Adjusting foreign money is difficult due to different inflation rates but it made 418 million there meaning even before adjustment its over a billion.
    They also came out in a time when there was no Netflix or Hulu. Video games were only starting to become live services with World of Warcraft in 2004. So, yeah, in today’s money it would’ve made more than yesteryear’s dollar amounts. But let’s also keep in mind this is adjusting for ticket inflation, not inflation of wages (those have stagnated) and it is also an open question how much those higher ticket prices yield disincentives to spending money for a ticket as well. So, I still think hitting that billion dollar mark in today’s market, with all its modern imperfections and constraints, is impressive.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    They also came out in a time when there was no Netflix or Hulu. Video games were only starting to become live services with World of Warcraft in 2004. So, yeah, in today’s money it would’ve made more than yesteryear’s dollar amounts. But let’s also keep in mind this is adjusting for ticket inflation, not inflation of wages (those have stagnated) and it is also an open question how much those higher ticket prices yield disincentives to spending money for a ticket as well. So, I still think hitting that billion dollar mark in today’s market, with all its modern imperfections and constraints, is impressive.
    Yea I hate the inflation arguement. So many factor other then ticket prices have changed. Things you listed and Piracy has become a huge thing.

It's not about compatin tho it's about how many people saw the movie in todays dollars there's always going to be change yer after yer and that's not the movies fault.

Yea I hate the inflation arguement. So many factor other then ticket prices have changed. Things you listed and Piracy has become a huge thing.
    You don't think there was piracy back then? Ever hear of Napster? Kazaa? Other file sharing sites back in the day that led to the rise of streaming services? While download speeds were obviously much slower back then, you often had to actually download a whole movie over hours instead of streaming, piracy is what led to things like Netflix because companies saw there was a demand but no options but piracy. I can recall watching a number of box office movies via piracy back in the day because I had no other option (I was living 70 miles from the nearest theater). Just because its easier and faster now doesn't mean it didn't happen in the early 2000's.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    You don't think there was piracy back then? Ever hear of Napster? Kazaa? Other file sharing sites back in the day that led to the rise of streaming services? While download speeds were obviously much slower back then, you often had to actually download a whole movie over hours instead of streaming, piracy is what led to things like Netflix because companies saw there was a demand but no options but piracy. I can recall watching a number of box office movies via piracy back in the day because I had no other option (I was living 70 miles from the nearest theater). Just because its easier and faster now doesn't mean it didn't happen in the early 2000's.
    Ugh, what were you supposed to counter-argue again?

Nah the first Spider-Man movie was MASSIVE success, I don't think it making a billion back then is anything against it. To put it in perspective, Titanic was the only movie at the time that had grossed a billion. Now, there's a couple every year. In terms of just ticket sales (so ignoring inflation), it's still one of the best selling superhero movies ever.