Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Or you do like Young Justice or the DCAU where you have the same showrunner handling it all.
    Yeah, television tends to have a better grasp of continuity than comic books do.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Seriously, the only thing DC can do to fix their timeline AND keep/restore some semblance of continuity/history is to bring back the pre-Crisis universes. This sucks for me because I prefer post-Crisis continuity, but that had its own share of issues and contradictions.
    Dude what? Pre-Crisis had no continuity, there were no long running storylines and the writers just did whatever they wanted. Origins changed, characterizations changed, stories were retconned to take place on different Earths, Pre-Crisis was such a mess it’s why they did CoIE in the first place.

The New 52 "reboot" was a great opportunity to fix everything by starting over the whole universe. Ah, what a waste.

Maybe this time?

Nah i'm kidding. ^^

Continuity is established in stories, not via charts and graphs. DC never stops making this mistake. Having a "Bible" for each character can be useful in establishing basic facts about them, but putting together a "history" that bears little or no resemblance to DC's actual publication history is a fool's errand.

It all "happened". Some of it we talk about; some of it we don't. Some of it is important to what's going on now; some of it isn't. Some of it may flat-out contradict what's going on now - that's only a problem if it impedes the ability to tell a story today. The characters are bigger than any one continuity or timeline. Trying to stuff them into one lessens them.
    Cheers - CL

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Yeah, television tends to have a better grasp of continuity than comic books do.
    Sometimes true. Not always. Plenty of shows don't care much either (which is ridiculous really, ever since shows started having DVD-releases for each season and viewers didn't have to depend on three-year-old memories anymore). And, the longer-running they are, it seem the more likely continuity errors are to pop up. Which, of course, is a factor in comics. A fresh start/hard reboots sounds appealing in fixing it (tv shows tend to start from a clean slate, so with less legacy material), if they thought fans could bear to give up so much (there's a lot lost in a hard reboot) or they could gain more fans than they lose, but in 10 years, it'd be screwy again.

Firing Dan would fix it. But that's not going to happen. Honestly, I think New 52 was an attemp to "fix" a problem that was not there. There were minor problems, but not like the mess we have now.

I don't like the multiverse, but I'd be fine with it being around as long as characters were not crossing between them.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Loco View Post
    Continuity is established in stories, not via charts and graphs. DC never stops making this mistake. Having a "Bible" for each character can be useful in establishing basic facts about them, but putting together a "history" that bears little or no resemblance to DC's actual publication history is a fool's errand.

It all "happened". Some of it we talk about; some of it we don't. Some of it is important to what's going on now; some of it isn't. Some of it may flat-out contradict what's going on now - that's only a problem if it impedes the ability to tell a story today. The characters are bigger than any one continuity or timeline. Trying to stuff them into one lessens them.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Did the 80s Suicide Squad happen?
    Questions like this... I appreciate that this is important to people but I don't get it. Can you pick up your issues of 80s SS and read them? Well, those stories happen while you're reading them, no?

I don't understand DC editorial or the fans having this desire to force linear chronological coherence on a fictional universe that has characters stay the same age for 80 years. This has to be a byproduct of our scientific materialist paradigm or the western world's fetishization of certainty or something dysfunctional somewhere.

Look at all of human history and its mythological endeavors, internal coherence was not a priority. These stories are simply supposed to resonate with us on a human level. Tell great stories and I'm confident no one's going to care if the timeline makes sense.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Bring back the pre Flashpoint continuity. It was as perfect as it was ever going to get. Certain things from the new 52 that worked you can squeeze in there. Like Jon Kent. That would be the best way to go IMO.

And finally...give Barry Allen back his original costume. Those stupid lines ruin one of the best costumes in comics.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Questions like this... I appreciate that this is important to people but I don't get it. Can you pick up your issues of 80s SS and read them? Well, those stories happen while you're reading them, no?
    Yep.

Also, I came to the realization a long time ago that stories that were important to me weren't always stories that were important to TPTB (and vice versa), so half the fun soon became creating my own head canon.

Tell great stories and I'm confident no one's going to care if the timeline makes sense.
    Which is why my favorite Superman stories tend to be the Elseworlds type.

Because, they make future stories and relationships more significant. If X killed Y brother, and now they are in the same issue and forced to work together, I need to know if Y even had and brother and if continuity says X killed him, because it should directly impacts how they interact. Or more accurately, directly impacts whether or not the way they interact is reasonable or not. I don't like relationships and continuity and history to just be ignored "for the sake of the story" because then characters are less consistent, nothing that happens matters because it will be ignored next time it's convenient, and things can't build on each other in terms of character development, etc.

Ultimate Member

Look at all of human history and its mythological endeavors, internal coherence was not a priority. These stories are simply supposed to resonate with us on a human level. Tell great stories and I'm confident no one's going to care if the timeline makes sense.
    The issue is a lot of these characters are NOT getting those great stories.

Others have been held hostage by one or more types of stories and not allowed to evolve from them.

Barry has everything at the expense of Wally.

Same with the other Lanterns when compared to Hal. John Stewart is MORE than a blown up planet.

Cassandra Cain is a SHELL of herself because her history is gone.

Jason Rusch-Doomsday Clock pretty much made it clear he was NEVER Firestorm.

Was Tim Drake ever Robin?

You got too many empty shells out there because no knows if their past stories matter.

It makes it harder to sell a character or attract talent to write them. And you open them to whatever mess a writer or worst editor has for them.

See Aqualad. His first talk or encounter with Aquaman is from JAIL? Way to be New 52 Wally Westish.

Extraordinary Member

The real problem is more one of quality control: editorial and management, both Pre- and Post-New 52 tended to be almost hilariously inconsistent and self-destructive, and were more notable by how their absence of interference *and* occasional displays of competence at assisting writers instead of dictating to them tended to lead to better books and stronger lines. Continuity played a part in this, but only really as a tool: when used well, continuity creates momentum, gravitas, and weight in a character’s story, and when used badly, it doubles down on certain mistakes over and over again.

The Superman books were a mess before Flashpoint, and a mess after Flashpoint... save for the Action Comics run where, would you look at that, they just let Grant Morrison off his leash.

They really just need better editorial and a stable fo writers they trust enough to actually get their jobs done. That’s trickier than it sounds, but it’s also more effective than trying to restructure continuity every three or four years before handing things back to guys like Scott Lobdell and leaving prospective buyers to wonder if he’s writing something he wants to, or just carrying out Dan Didio’s marching orders.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member

I've seen this response in many replies. I feel it's way too subjective.

Who defines what is a great story?

I dislike the Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns and the Killing Joke. Other's think these are the greatest stories ever told.

These are not the stories I wan to read when I pickup an issue of Batgirl or Batwoman or Tim Drake: Whatever-His-Name-Is-Now.

Back to the thread topic:

I think I will just skip whatever DC's planned-fix-timeline-event will be.

I'm already bored & tired by just reading this about it.

DiDio said that?

Knowing him, he'll try and retcon the original Titans to having never been in their original roles. After all "Dick makes Bruce looks old!"