Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Not really happy that they went the "clone resurrection" route in and of itself, but I kinda think that it's the lesser of two evils in regards to getting the character back to normal. At least it'll make getting past the Hickman era easier once stuff starts going back to normal.
    But it's not really resurrection though is it? I know what the definition of a backup is, so she's just a copy, if functionally the same character.
    Even if they contrive an explanation that some form of transmigration has happened, it amounts to having 93% of her life stripped from her, and transformed into someone she ceased to be long ago.

No matter how you look at it, it's all kinds of horrible.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I like Target X

I didn't really see anything wrong either. The story was told from past tense, and if she didn't remember (because she technically never lived it), than it makes sense it wouldn't be from her perspective.

It would be nice to have some stories from her perspective.
    How dare you sullen the work of the negative trashing agenda by countering it with logic, and good deductive reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    How dare you sullen the work of the negative trashing agenda by countering it with logic, and good deductive reasoning.
    It is just his opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    But it's not really resurrection though is it? I know what the definition of a backup is, so she's just a copy, if functionally the same character.
    Even if they contrive an explanation that some form of transmigration has happened, it amounts to having 93% of her life stripped from her, and transformed into someone she ceased to be long ago.

True, there is some mostly hidden horror to it. Almost like a mutant factory. And to think she had to go throught it so she could be a love interest
    Last edited by Rang10; 04-06-2021 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    I didn't like that book, but that panel is brilliant. Kwannon is being condescending, and X-23 is verbally noting that and not taking her eyes off the enemy.

What are the top ten X-23 stories - in order?
    Top 10:
    Innocence Lost
    Target X
    New X-Men - Mercury Falling
    X-Force
    New X-Men - Childhood’s End
    X-23 - Collision
    All New Wolverine - Orphans of X
    X-23 - Songs of the Orphan Child
    NYX
    1st arc of Mariko Tamaki’s X-23

It is. All of Marvel’ decisions with her for the past couple decades make me struggle to remain interested in her as a character. This doesn’t help.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    It is. All of Marvel’ decisions with her for the past couple decades make me struggle to remain interested in her as a character. This doesn’t help.
    She hasn't had "decades" yet. Years, certainly. The problems really started when the Liu book was cancelled, and the decision to use her in Avengers Arena. Specifically the moment that Hopeless decided Laura's tactical brilliance translated to, "Attack the technopath controlling a Sentinel head-on."

I'll admit, there's SOME things Bendis did with her that had potential ,(I actually liked how he played up Laura's aversion to being touched; this is very realistic for victims of extended physical abuse. Also her interactions with Teen Scott) but he never got her voice right, and most of what he did was awful (FFS, in Black Vortex the entire team gets blasted, and who is the ONLY ONE knocked out of commission? The chick with the HEALING FACTOR who's the only one whose mutation would ACTUALLY allow her to shrug off the hit everyone took). It also made no sense and created a plothole that was never filled (IE, how she escaped the Medevac chopper Logan put her on after Arena, with Logan apparently not even trying to find her again).

The main bright spot with her the past 7 or so years has been Taylor. So it hasn't even really been a full decade yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    The main bright spot with her the past 7 or so years has been Taylor. So it hasn't even really been a full decade yet.
    That book was also the main bright spot in the entire X-line for a couple of years IMO.

She hasn't had "decades" yet. Years, certainly. The problems really started when the Liu book was cancelled, and the decision to use her in Avengers Arena. Specifically the moment that Hopeless decided Laura's tactical brilliance translated to, "Attack the technopath controlling a Sentinel head-on."

I'll admit, there's SOME things Bendis did with her that had potential ,(I actually liked how he played up Laura's aversion to being touched; this is very realistic for victims of extended physical abuse. Also her interactions with Teen Scott) but he never got her voice right, and most of what he did was awful (FFS, in Black Vortex the entire team gets blasted, and who is the ONLY ONE knocked out of commission? The chick with the HEALING FACTOR who's the only one whose mutation would ACTUALLY allow her to shrug off the hit everyone took). It also made no sense and created a plothole that was never filled (IE, how she escaped the Medevac chopper Logan put her on after Arena, with Logan apparently not even trying to find her again).

I purposely stayed clear of Bendis on the X-men. Laura as a character is too introverted and torn between her brutal side and her sensitive side. Bendis usually covers up subtext and nuances with words. Lots of them. Throwing many darts hoping that they distract and that some hit the target. So for him to write Laura well he must be really inspired. It won't come easy or natural for him.

It's easy to write Laura as defensive, snarky and using few words. Witch is ok if all you are aiming for is cameos. On that level she is an archetype. To really get her you need to try harder. In my personal opinion you need a sensitive side as a person if you want to write a good Laura. Behind all the violence and isolation, to get to her heart and caputure her voice you need to be a sensitive person. But Marjorie Liu has been a big impact on my view on Laura. Liu, Taylor and Yost.

I didn’t like a lot of things about Liu’s book. For me, the problems started there, not after. Liu had some arcs I enjoyed, and she had some arcs I really didn’t enjoy. I also did not like her throwing out all of friendships and dynamics that Kyle/Yost established for her and instead put Laura in stories with characters that Liu personally liked better. I would have much rather had a story of Laura doing something with Cess and Soraya than the F4, for example. The best part of it was Laura’s characterization (though that was not without its issues either) and establishing friendships with Gambit and Jubilee.

I didn’t like anything about Bendis’s take, I disagree that her interactions with teen Scott were any good, and I didn’t like most things Taylor did with Laura either - aside from Orphans of X which I thought was a great direction for her.

So maybe not decades but at least a solid decade of me not being totally satisfied with Laura’s trajectory or characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    I purposely stayed clear of Bendis on the X-men. Laura as a character is too introverted and torn between her brutal side and her sensitive side. Bendis usually covers up subtext and nuances with words. Lots of them. Throwing many darts hoping that they distract and that some hit the target. So for him to write Laura well he must be really inspired. It won't come easy or natural for him.

It's easy to write Laura as defensive, snarky and using few words. Witch is ok if all you are aiming for is cameos. On that level she is an archetype. To really get her you need to try harder. In my personal opinion you need a sensitive side as a person if you want to write a good Laura. Behind all the violence and isolation, to get to her heart and caputure her voice you need to be a sensitive person. But Marjorie Liu has been a big impact on my view on Laura. Liu, Taylor and Yost.
    Bendis is strong with quips and bendism and it only got worse with the time. His Laura was the weak link on his all new X-men. Laura needs more work than just quipping

Yeah, I agree, but I was thinking more in the meta sense, that this will be at least make it easier for us to "forget" about this era when things snap back to normal. (Besides, seeing as everything happened off-camera and to further another character's story, at least this means that Laura's own story will pick up again where it left off.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I got the new Diamond Select Marvel Premier X-23 statue today. It's not perfect, but it's not bad.

PXL_20210409_211741086.PORTRAIT.jpg

I can't seem to rotate the image properly.
    Last edited by topfueluhl; 04-09-2021 at 02:23 PM.

As glad as I am Laura's made the team...I cannot help be concerned that her whole purpose in the book will be wrapped around Synch crushing on her and their time in the Vault and that makes me go "Meh"
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post

As glad as I am Laura's made the team...I cannot help be concerned that her whole purpose in the book will be wrapped around Synch crushing on her and their time in the Vault and that makes me go "Meh"
    Yes! This is just what I was hoping for. Laura has proven herself. Even Logan freely admitted that she's earned the title of Wolverine. Her being on this team makes a lot of sense. She worked closely with Jean during X-Men Red. Plus, she now has a history with Synch. There's so much to look forward to with this. I'm just glad Laura is front and center once more.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post

Yeah, same thoughts here, this "romance" was useless and I hope it's never touched upon again. I hate how she never lived through it, but now among fans this it the main thing about her and Synch.
    Also, this team is too straight for having another hetero romance.