Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I argue for Gene Luen Yang or Robert Vendetti. Vendetti would be the obvious choice given his work on Justice League and Hawkman, but Yang has shown me in his work that he can handle classic iterations of characters like with Superman vs the Klan but also handle fascinating characters (new and old) with a lot of fun elements like the Terrifics or the New Super-Man.
    I'm gonna wait and read next week's Hawkman to see how Vendetti would handle the JSA, but I think that maybe he could do a good work with them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I honestly don't want any past writer near the JSA's relaunch. I think it's time we got new takes.
    Or else we'll be always depending on the return of Johns or Robinson or Levitz and so on. The same guys responsible for the current situation the team is at.
    Johns has been stalling the JSA's return since forever due to his Rebirth/Doomsday Clock plans.
    Levitz wrote terrible versions of PG and Huntress and hasn't written anything truly good in years.
    Robinson was the writer behind the New 52 Earth-2 book (plus tons of terrible JL books before that).
    I think they've all had their chance and now we need someone new for a change.
    Now that I think about it, this is true. Still, I hope whoever it is doesn't try to "fix" or "improve" the JSA. Just write their characters, and give them a certain feel, perhaps a bit less grim than the JLA, and go with it.

Extraordinary Member

Ah, it was Eric Trautmann who wrote JSA vs Kobra, and Gena Ha on art. I quite liked both. I'd like to see how they can do with another JSA story, perhaps emphasizing other JSAers than Mr. Terrific, who I thought he got right.

Just going to leave the link to the new Hawkman preview.

https://aiptcomics.com/2020/09/04/dc...ew-hawkman-27/
    Shayera in her costume kind of stands out with everyone else, but cool seeing the JSA and ISA .

I’m not sure to what extent in continuity the JSA are after Death Metal, Hawkman, and Flash, but I will say I am happy that today’s Batman #104 makes it canonical that Wildcat trained Batman to fist fight. I honestly really enjoyed that part of Batman: the brave and the bold cartoon so I’m happy to see that here.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

I’m not sure to what extent in continuity the JSA are after Death Metal, Hawkman, and Flash, but I will say I am happy that today’s Batman #104 makes it canonical that Wildcat trained Batman to fist fight. I honestly really enjoyed that part of Batman: the brave and the bold cartoon so I’m happy to see that here.
    Well, pre Flashpoint he was also trained by Wildcat, so it's not that big a step. Wildcat seemed to teach a lot of heroes to box prior to Flashpoint. But I'm getting a bit tired of waiting for DC to remember they even exist. That title should be their priority, but not a hint of a hint of a possible new JSA book at the farthest point on the distant horizon that they've revealed anything about yet.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Well, pre Flashpoint he was also trained by Wildcat, so it's not that big a step. Wildcat seemed to teach a lot of heroes to box prior to Flashpoint. But I'm getting a bit tired of waiting for DC to remember they even exist. That title should be their priority, but not a hint of a hint of a possible new JSA book at the farthest point on the distant horizon that they've revealed anything about yet.
    Wildcat also trained Catwoman.

Incredible Member

I don't know what extent its canonical (is that a word?) either but given that BATMAN/WILDCAT was one of my favourite minis of the late 90s (1997 IIRC) I'm glad to see Ted and Bruce's history acknowledged

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Now that I think about it, this is true. Still, I hope whoever it is doesn't try to "fix" or "improve" the JSA. Just write their characters, and give them a certain feel, perhaps a bit less grim than the JLA, and go with it.
    I love the JSA as they have been in their most recent series (not the nu52 stuff). However, I expect a writer to want to "fix" and/or "improve" what they are writing. The issue is that the writer does not change the concept in a way we like. Every franchise and concept out there has some parts of it that are musts. Although we can mostly agree on this, defining those points exactly is up to interpretation. I would hope that if DC comes up with a new JSA book, that writer would want to not copy what went before. They should also not settle for "almost as good". And yes, that is much more difficult to pull off than it seems.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I love the JSA as they have been in their most recent series (not the nu52 stuff). However, I expect a writer to want to "fix" and/or "improve" what they are writing. The issue is that the writer does not change the concept in a way we like. Every franchise and concept out there has some parts of it that are musts. Although we can mostly agree on this, defining those points exactly is up to interpretation. I would hope that if DC comes up with a new JSA book, that writer would want to not copy what went before. They should also not settle for "almost as good". And yes, that is much more difficult to pull off than it seems.
    The JSA is one of those teams where it's easy to get all their voices/characters wrong if you're just going by archetype. Sad to say, you need to be pretty well-versed in DC history to get them "right," which is why most don't.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wildcat also trained Catwoman.
    Batman, Catwoman, Black Canary II (and presumably train with her mom).

I think they even mentioned Jay taking boxing lessons from Ted.

Ted Grant, Boxing Trainer to the STARS!

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Batman, Catwoman, Black Canary II (and presumably train with her mom).

I think they even mentioned Jay taking boxing lessons from Ted.

Ted Grant, Boxing Trainer to the STARS!
    I mean, Ted probably gives everyone on the JSA, young or old, a few pointers .

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Ted: ... And then you punch them real hard.

Pieter: Ted, I'm blind.

Ted: ... Have you tried punching that problem?

Pieter: No, Ted, I haven't. It's not that kind of problem.

Ted: How's your footwork?

Pieter: Ted.

Ted: Pieter I don't know why you come to me for combat training can we just get a beer?

And then they listen to boxing matches on the radio while drinking a brew and discussing CTE.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Ted: ... And then you punch them real hard.

Pieter: Ted, I'm blind.

Ted: ... Have you tried punching that problem?

Pieter: No, Ted, I haven't. It's not that kind of problem.

Ted: How's your footwork?

Pieter: Ted.

Ted: Pieter I don't know why you come to me for combat training can we just get a beer?

And then they listen to boxing matches on the radio while drinking a brew and discussing CTE.
    This is gold .

Extraordinary Member

He did teach PG to box, leading Magog once to complain about her feet leaving the floor, (a reference to her ability to fly, when Magog was boxing her). A minor amusing moment. But...how did Wildcat teach PG how to box, and how did she learn Krav and Thai boxing....given that to properly learn them, you have to spar....and who is PG going to spar with? Only Diana among the super-super set is fast and strong enough and good enough to spar with, and she is busy doing other things.