Page 34 of 233 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Some of the deviations from the comic bothered me a bit. Like having Batman be the reason her sister and mother died. (well, her mother anyway) and Alice seems a bit more sane in this than in the comics. Plus, if they are supposed to be twins, shouldn't Rose be playing both roles? I did like the idea that the city is so crime ridden that the rich need a private security firm to protect them.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Some of the deviations from the comic bothered me a bit. Like having Batman be the reason her sister and mother died. (well, her mother anyway) and Alice seems a bit more sane in this than in the comics. Plus, if they are supposed to be twins, shouldn't Rose be playing both roles?
    Only if they were identical twins. There can be twins that look different; and it's not like they look alike in the comics. And I agree- not a fan of that change.

I had some issues with this episode, but since it's the pilot I can give most of them a pass. Some things that really bugged me though-

Not a fan of that batsuit. I can forgive it for being Kate's proto-suit, and I know that the final suit looks good, but as a suit that Batman wore, it just looked... cheap. And I get that they don't want to spend money for something that will only be seen a handful of times, but I've seen Halloween costumes that look better than that suit.

Okay, Batman and Bruce is gone. But why is Wayne Enterprises closed? As Gotham's largest employer, you'd expect it to still be in business. Unless it being defunct will play into how bad the city has gotten.

Sophie. Just Sophie. I have a real problem with the character. From throwing away her relationship with Kate back in the Army days because of DADT, to being Jacob's favorite surrogate daughter, to the husband- all of it grates on me.

Dougray Scott- the man who would have been Wolverine. He looks too young to be playing Jacob Kane. I really wish they would have grayed his hair to make him look older, or maybe even given him a military haircut.

All in all, aside from Sophie these are minor squabbles. I look forward to seeing where they take it from here.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Okay, Batman and Bruce is gone. But why is Wayne Enterprises closed? As Gotham's largest employer, you'd expect it to still be in business. Unless it being defunct will play into how bad the city has gotten.
    Probably the writers not knowing how businesses work.
    "Cable was right!"

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Let's hope they stay away from legal proceedings.

I give the ep a 6.5/10.

It's the pilot so i expect some changes once they see what works and what doesn't work. The narration from Kate, please let that die with the pilot. It didn't work with Arrow and doesn't work here. I know the execs behind the show were wanting to make it a bit like Arrow season one in some areas, but they narration needs to go. Fast.

Was the suit in the 'cave' already the female suit? It looked like it. Made me cringe every shot they had it in. They couldn't spring for a better looking suit to just be used on that scene?

Thought Ruby had some good scenes with her father and her ex (who name escapes me right now).

Action was m3h.

Fox was the typical CW character in the role he will play here.

The idea has potential, but they have some work to do.

My biggest issue is the premise...having Bats just dip out of Gotham makes ZERO sense. It never works in my eyes. It was stupid in the Birds of Prey show of years ago, it was and is stupid here. But thats the problem with doing a show in Gotham is explaining some reason why Bats aint there and have everyone and mother refer to him, but we never see him.
    Last edited by KabutoRyder; 10-07-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    If this show runs long like the other CW shows it's a detail that will need addressing eventually. Batman being gone for an extend period will be wtf.
    he has been gone for 3 years already. Isn't that too long?

I watched it last night out of curiosity. I thought it was pretty cringe and forced. The writers have to make Batman look bad in order to make Batwoman work here. Also, her story traveling the world and training to be a great warrior sound much like batman's story... where is the originality??

Btw, if young Bruce has extended family (an uncle?), Why didn't he take care of him when he was little instead of Alfred?
    Last edited by stargazer01; 10-07-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Only if they were identical twins. There can be twins that look different; and it's not like they look alike in the comics. And I agree- not a fan of that change.
    For example Sheldon and Missy Cooper on The Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon are twins and they look nothing alike.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post

I watched it last night out of curiosity. I thought it was pretty cringe and forced. The writers have to make Batman look bad in order to make Batwoman work here. Also, her story traveling the world and training to be a great warrior sound much like batman's story... where is the originality??

Btw, if young Bruce has extended family (an uncle?), Why didn't he take care of him when he was little instead of Alfred?
    If they didn't show and imply that Kate Kane had extensive and world wide training then people would accuse her of being a Mary Sue. "How did she get that good when Bruce trained the world over for years?"

Apparently hers and Bruce's family didn't get along and it was in the will that Alfred would be Bruce's guardian.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

You're asking too much from CW writers, bruv.
    "Cable was right!"

The writers have to make Batman look bad in order to make Batwoman work here.
    How did they make him look bad?

Also, her story traveling the world and training to be a great warrior sound much like batman's story... where is the originality??
    That's direct from the comics.

The Kanes and Waynes didn't like each other too much. It was probably in the wills that Alfred would take guardianship.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    That's direct from the comics.
    It seems like the majority of people criticizing Batwoman have never even read a Batwoman comic book. A huge complaint is "turning her into a lesbian for the TV show because TV shows want to be woke".

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    Let's hope they stay away from legal proceedings.

My biggest issue is the premise...having Bats just dip out of Gotham makes ZERO sense. It never works in my eyes. It was stupid in the Birds of Prey show of years ago, it was and is stupid here. But thats the problem with doing a show in Gotham is explaining some reason why Bats aint there and have everyone and mother refer to him, but we never see him.
    Yeah. No one in the writers room knows how either businesses or the law works. They proved that time and again in Arrow.

As for Bats leaving- in my mind, Bane broke his back and now Bruce is traveling trying to heal, with Bane leaving once he broke the Bat. That's my story until they tell me differently.

I watched it last night out of curiosity. I thought it was pretty cringe and forced. The writers have to make Batman look bad in order to make Batwoman work here.

Isn't that the problem with all of these shows? Supergirl is a prime example- Kara lands on earth, Superman finds her- and then an hour later dumps her off at human family and laves her, presumably until she finally puts on a cape. No matter how you write that, Superman comes off as a complete dick. Even in Arrow, for Oliver they took something that I think only happened once in the comics (Ollie cheating on Dinah) and made it a character trait of his in the show.

Sophie. Just Sophie. I have a real problem with the character. From throwing away her relationship with Kate back in the Army days because of DADT, to being Jacob's favorite surrogate daughter, to the husband- all of it grates on me.
    That first part at least is pretty accurate. The comics have never shown the immediate aftermath of Kate's resignation nor Sophie's reaction, but she did indeed stay in the Army. The reason she gave in the show makes sense; she literally does not have the luxury of giving up the Academy.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

That first part at least is pretty accurate. The comics have never shown the immediate aftermath of Kate's resignation nor Sophie's reaction, but she did indeed stay in the Army. The reason she gave in the show makes sense; she literally does not have the luxury of giving up the Academy.
    I understand what you're saying. I suppose as someone who was never in the military, and who never directly felt the impact of DADT, I have a hard time empathizing with her. It honestly felt like Sophie threw Kate under the bus in a way. I also find it weird that Jacob Kane would be so close to someone who broke his daughter's heart.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I laughed when he said the suit was literal perfection. He can't even turn his head in it! The Nolan movies figured that out pretty quick! All they needed was a cape and the cowl and people would have figured it out.
    Assassinate Putin!

I understand what you're saying. I suppose as someone who was never in the military, and who never directly felt the impact of DADT, I have a hard time empathizing with her. It honestly felt like Sophie threw Kate under the bus in a way.
    Kate was already out of the Academy at that point; if anyone "threw her under the bus" (I don't like that phrasing for this situation), it was Kate herself.

If Point Rock operates like West Point or the Naval Academy, etc. do in real life, then if Sophie were to leave at this point, she'd have to completely repay her tuition. During your junior year, you sign a commitment to serve your required time in the military, and if you leave after that, you owe hundreds of thousands of dollars. Kate's a billionaire, so that's nothing for her, but Sophie definitely can't afford that.

I also find it weird that Jacob Kane would be so close to someone who broke his daughter's heart.
    Jacob might not know. Sophie seems to still be in the closet.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I laughed when he said the suit was literal perfection. He can't even turn his head in it!
    That's not the case here...

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

How did they make him look bad?
    I didn't see that myself. The producers have to keep Bruce away somehow, so leaving Gotham makes sense.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?