• Powerful

10 31.25%
  • Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
Page 3484 of 3522 FirstFirst ... 248429843384343434743480348134823483348434853486348734883494 ... LastLast
Results 52,246 to 52,260 of 52830

Quote Originally Posted by Stormrocks View Post
    I disagree. She is a powerful Black woman, but that doesn't limit her to only being with a powerful Black man. She should be with someone who loves her and will treat her right - an equal and partner. If he happens to be Black, great; black love is beautiful. If he happens to be another race - great, interracial love is beautiful.

Why do you only want Storm with a Black man. Do you feel dating someone from another race really makes someone less black? Less down? Less woke?

There’s something incredibly reductive and heteronormative about linking a black woman’s worth on what kind of man she chooses to sleep with, as if a woman’s blackness or her dedication to black issues can only be validated by a “black king” (or vice versa).
    No, it should not limit her to being with only black men. It should limit her to men that know her worth. And historically throughout mass media the black woman has been hypersexualized to the benefit of heteronormative society. The same society that has always saw fit to judge black women by if they could bed or who they can wed them. It just so happens that there has been only one man that saw her as true marriage material and took a chance and married her. Let’s not forget that Storm doesn’t write herself, so she’s bound to say or act in ways that don’t pay proper respect to the history of America and the racial politics that are at play. Realistically speaking, only the black males writers (we can Almost count on one hand) have approached her character as marriage material to a protagonist that happens to be a black male. She’s only been used as the cliche bed wench for characters that are non black. That’s not oh so prevalent in popular culture...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ch3rrytop View Post
    Yes!! I couldn't agree more with this.
    Thank you, my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksonic View Post
    Don't agree, Black love is best for Storm.
    In this instance and given the whole timeline of events, I have no choice but to agree with you here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I get the importance of black love and why some want that representation. It's not something that is seen often and when it is, it's usually negative. But I also don't think it should be a defining factor. And I wouldn't say it's "best" for the characters. Any relationship can be best. It just depends on the writer. BP and Storms first time as a couple definitely wasn't the best.
    That’s a pretty big part of it. And I do think it’s important to acknowledge that the marriage did not start in the best of places. Even under the black men that saw her as marriage material she was still a victim of the classic hypersexualizatiin of the black woman that can be linked to so many tropes about black women in mass media. So, no, Storm being with a black king should not be a defining factor. But when it’s stressed and pressed repeatedly that she should be removed from all other black people, the message is clear that she’s above them and their black issues. We certainly for the cause with her prominent white fellow X-men. So when is Storm to have the conversations or are they all mean to happen off panel?

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stormrocks View Post
    I disagree. She is a powerful Black woman, but that doesn't limit her to only being with a powerful Black man. She should be with someone who loves her and will treat her right - an equal and partner. If he happens to be Black, great; black love is beautiful. If he happens to be another race - great, interracial love is beautiful.

Why do you only want Storm with a Black man. Do you feel dating someone from another race really makes someone less black? Less down? Less woke?

There’s something incredibly reductive and heteronormative about linking a black woman’s worth on what kind of man she chooses to sleep with, as if a woman’s blackness or her dedication to black issues can only be validated by a “black king” (or vice versa).
    I agree that interracial love is beautiful but the messaging and the importance of black love isnt aimply about it being beautiful; it goes to something so much more deeper than that. How many black characters do we have in Marvel that are prominent in the main stories being told? Now how many black mutants are there that are prominent and central to the xstories being told? Of those how many are shown to be in a relationship with other black people?

the reason why it's important, specifically for storm to be shown in this manner, is because she is the only prominent black female character. And it is critical and crucial that little black girls and black people in general can see representations of themselves in media which demonstrate being black is good and loving people who look like you is good. if there were tons of black characters then I would agree but seeing tchalla and ororo are the two most prominent black characters this is important and necessary.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Librarian is Open View Post
    No, it should not limit her to being with only black men. It should limit her to men that know her worth. And historically throughout mass media the black woman has been hypersexualized to the benefit of heteronormative society. The same society that has always saw fit to judge black women by if they could bed or who they can wed them. It just so happens that there has been only one man that saw her as true marriage material and took a chance and married her. Let’s not forget that Storm doesn’t write herself, so she’s bound to say or act in ways that don’t pay proper respect to the history of America and the racial politics that are at play. Realistically speaking, only the black males writers (we can Almost count on one hand) have approached her character as marriage material to a protagonist that happens to be a black male. She’s only been used as the cliche bed wench for characters that are non black. That’s not oh so prevalent in popular culture...

Thank you, my friend.

In this instance and given the whole timeline of events, I have no choice but to agree with you here.

That’s a pretty big part of it. And I do think it’s important to acknowledge that the marriage did not start in the best of places. Even under the black men that saw her as marriage material she was still a victim of the classic hypersexualizatiin of the black woman that can be linked to so many tropes about black women in mass media. So, no, Storm being with a black king should not be a defining factor. But when it’s stressed and pressed repeatedly that she should be removed from all other black people, the message is clear that she’s above them and their black issues. We certainly for the cause with her prominent white fellow X-men. So when is Storm to have the conversations or are they all mean to happen off panel?
    I don't know who you are but welcome to the forum and please post more!!!! this post is nothing but truth drenched in fact that cant be denied!!!!!! thank you for all of this.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    On the flip, it seems that's why some are partial to the Swirl love. Usually you don't often see white men with black women. And some love when that's shown because it's rarely depicted. And sometimes, it may be teased, but not followed up on.

Then There was Misty & Iron Fist, who got broken up years ago and not seen together since. The recent writer for them in Secret Love says he loved the pairing because you don't see it that often, and he empathizes being a white man who's married to a black woman. Creed & Monet was a pairing Bunn was feeling, but it didn't go anywhere or receive any closure. And Monet is off in Limbo again.

But for Storm some fans, I can see the desire for a black love interest, because she's had MANY and ALL but ONE of them has been white. Least far as I know, I don't think there's been other black men with her besides BP.
    This part is the most glaring for ways in which I’m sure people haven’t even realized. Speaking specifically about the timeline of events from the time of marriage until this very moment, T’Challa, the Black Panther has been the most prominent black male presented in the pages of the X-men. And considering how little he was shown because it served no purpose to remind X-men fans that she was married to a black man, it’s sad when one acknowledges that BP has had more panel space in recent years than Bishop, Prodigy, Gateway, Nehzno or Manifold combined. The best the books could come up with is to show a black male they have no rights to. Does that send a problematic message?

Ultimate Member

So when is Storm to have the conversations or are they all mean to happen off panel?
    She is NOT suppose to. NOW you are getting to the meaty issue of the topic.

See no one has an issue with a black in the cast as long as they STAY that way.

The moment you try to have those conversations-guess who take issue with it?

You wonder why Ms Marvel gets all that hate? Folks lost their LUNCH over that 50th issue with the sleep over. Folks HATE the fact you have a book showing a slice of life from ONE Muslim. Who is NOT acting like Dev Patel's character in Skins. He was a weed smoker and forever horny-for white girls.

If the X-Office had the GUTS-to do a Storm book. You could have those conversations.

Storm does not have to experience Existing While Black or anything that Trayvon or Tamir Rice did. She could have been used as a conversation piece of while she has not dealt with that stuff-she ACKNOWLEDGES it happens.
    She does not have to march for Mike Brown but acknowledge there is nothing wrong with a review of the police department.

But you will NOT see that story. Because SOMEONE will take issue with it.

Does that send a problematic message?
    YES it does.

In terms of what Bishop, Prodigy, Gateway, Nehzno or Manifold can do-power wise there is no excuse.

Now you take those guys with Synch, Storm, Falcon, Blue Marvel, Spectrum & Flint of The Inhumans and made them all EVIL-Thanos, Lex Luthor, Dr Octopus, Doom and even Darksied would have a FIELD DAY with those guys tearing stuff up. Don't get Black Panther, Brother Voodoo, Riri, Moon Girl, Mosaic, Miles, Prowler, Rocket Racer, Cardiac, Blade, Luke Cage, Night Thrasher, Cloak, Alex Wilder, Silhouette Thunderball & Black Goliath to join.
    Don't let someone like Priest or Black's Kwanza Osajyefo or John Ridley or Dwayne McDuffie's ghost and especially not Morrison write it.

There is a reason you don't see those folks together. If you HONESTLY look at powers--it's not even a debate in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    She is NOT suppose to. NOW you are getting to the meaty issue of the topic.

See no one has an issue with a black in the cast as long as they STAY that way.

The moment you try to have those conversations-guess who take issue with it?

You wonder why Ms Marvel gets all that hate? Folks lost their LUNCH over that 50th issue with the sleep over. Folks HATE the fact you have a book showing a slice of life from ONE Muslim. Who is NOT acting like Dev Patel's character in Skins. He was a weed smoker and forever horny-for white girls.

If the X-Office had the GUTS-to do a Storm book. You could have those conversations.

Storm does not have to experience Existing While Black or anything that Trayvon or Tamir Rice did. She could have been used as a conversation piece of while she has not dealt with that stuff-she ACKNOWLEDGES it happens.
    She does not have to march for Mike Brown but acknowledge there is nothing wrong with a review of the police department.

But you will NOT see that story. Because SOMEONE will take issue with it.

YES it does.

In terms of what Bishop, Prodigy, Gateway, Nehzno or Manifold can do-power wise there is no excuse.

Now you take those guys with Synch, Storm, Falcon, Blue Marvel, Spectrum & Flint of The Inhumans and made them all EVIL-Thanos, Lex Luthor, Dr Octopus, Doom and even Darksied would have a FIELD DAY with those guys tearing stuff up. Don't get Black Panther, Brother Voodoo, Riri, Moon Girl, Mosaic, Miles, Prowler, Rocket Racer, Cardiac, Blade, Luke Cage, Night Thrasher, Cloak, Alex Wilder, Silhouette Thunderball & Black Goliath to join.
    Don't let someone like Priest or Black's Kwanza Osajyefo or John Ridley or Dwayne McDuffie's ghost and especially not Morrison write it.

There is a reason you don't see those folks together. If you HONESTLY look at powers--it's not even a debate in some cases.
    Your posts so succulently illustrates the inherent problems that come along with Storm’s standing in the books. She should be used to have a conversation about the dynamics of race. She isn’t though. But everytime a writer (the black one) uses her to push that conversation forward there’s always pushback from a certain subset of the fan base.

BANNED

Your posts so succulently illustrates the inherent problems that come along with Storm’s standing in the books. She should be used to have a conversation about the dynamics of race. She isn’t though. But everytime a writer (the black one) uses her to push that conversation forward there’s always pushback from a certain subset of the fan base.
    Doesn't that mean that there should be a conversation between mutant and black intersectionality? I mean, when you said she's away from black society and above their problems, she's technically with mutants of all races that have their own problems and look up to her one way or another when she's leading them. SO in a way, mutants are her (also) people and ideally she's in a position of power an authority above them. Also, I'm pretty sure she grew up in a majority black Kenya
    Last edited by wano; 07-16-2018 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    Doesn't that mean that there should be a conversation between mutant and black intersectionality? I mean, when you said she's away from black society and above their problems, she's technically with mutants of all races that have their own problems and look up to her one way or another when she's leading them. SO in a way, mutants are her (also) people and ideally she's in a position of power an authority above them. Also, I'm pretty sure she grew up in a majority black Kenya
    Another good question. When has a conversation like that come within the X-men books? That leads us right back to the point skyvolt2000 and I were having. With Storm being the only prominent black mutant there the conversation is had for her. She only chooses mutant issues by ignoring black ones all together.

BANNED

Another good question. When has a conversation like that come within the X-men books? That leads us right back to the point skyvolt2000 and I were having. With Storm being the only prominent black mutant there the conversation is had for her. She only chooses mutant issues by ignoring black ones all together.
    Now this I agree with entirely

New batch of Apple emojis:

One of them looks like Storm!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    New batch of Apple emojis:

One of them looks like Storm!
    Nice find! Only Storm has blue eyes. Blue cat eyes to be exact.

Incredible Member

Interesting. I think the last time I saw something interesting with Storm and race in the X-books was around the Xtreme X-Men team when she went out with Nightcrawler. The X-Men now are Caucasian as hell and although I don't care about that one way or the other, I do have a problem with there no longer being "mutant" aspects of some characters. What I mean is that yes, Storm is considered black, but she has features that make her mutantlike (namely the cat like face, hair and eyes) that differentiate her from being just black. She can't just walk around in plain clothes without being harassed. All these new teams are just Caucasians with weird outfits and unless they actually say they're a mutant, they won't deal with being harassed on the streets. When you have a crap load of mutants, but only a 2 hand count of characters that are obvious mutants, I feel there is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmacaoni View Post
    Interesting. I think the last time I saw something interesting with Storm and race in the X-books was around the Xtreme X-Men team when she went out with Nightcrawler. The X-Men now are Caucasian as hell and although I don't care about that one way or the other, I do have a problem with there no longer being "mutant" aspects of some characters. What I mean is that yes, Storm is considered black, but she has features that make her mutantlike (namely the cat like face, hair and eyes) that differentiate her from being just black. She can't just walk around in plain clothes without being harassed. All these new teams are just Caucasians with weird outfits and unless they actually say they're a mutant, they won't deal with being harassed on the streets. When you have a crap load of mutants, but only a 2 hand count of characters that are obvious mutants, I feel there is a problem.
    unfortunately the xmen have always been quite caucasian. the O5 all white. the introduction of alex and lorna - both white.

then even with the giant size issue, ororo, sunfire and Thunderbird were introduced however zunfire didnt stay with the xmen and Thunderbird died leaving ororo as the only character of color.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    unfortunately the xmen have always been quite caucasian. the O5 all white. the introduction of alex and lorna - both white.

then even with the giant size issue, ororo, sunfire and Thunderbird were introduced however zunfire didnt stay with the xmen and Thunderbird died leaving ororo as the only character of color.
    True. The X-Men started that way and have continued since. I count Nightcrawler staying as well as Storm being an X-character of color. (We know what he is really, but for the random non mutant seeing Nightcrawler, he wouldn't be considered a Caucasian dude). I will always think when it comes to X-Men, the thought process of mutant deformity=minority is alive and well. So when you see Beast on X-factor, he was the minority of that team.