Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    So, less-accurate, non-immediately-lethal weapons that leave people significantly impaired and in terrible pain, but that's about all? And requiring multiple hits in the torso and head to take someone fully out of the fight (barring a shot in the upper face that might blind)?

This is a really sick way to set up a Rumble. All these characters steal your lunch money or something? ^_^
    I was also thinking of doing a rumble between Manfred Richthofen (Red Baron) and Kara Thrace of the Battlestar Galactica remake. The problem is, each has a big advantage in their respective vehicles even if we comp the opponent the ability to fly the other vehicle.

And just saying "comparable vehicles" doesn't give commenters all that much. So I was searching for an in-between. But nothing sounded remotely plausible. For example: They hook up to the Matrix and each imagines they're flying their own vehicle (triplane, viper), but the VR program makes it work, so you get a duel of pure skill? Sounds phony.

You'd need to come up with a flying vehicle that both are unfamiliar with, they both get a chance to train with it for a time, then they're off. But what are they flying, specifically? Comparable vehicles.

Or in the above rumble, comparable firearms.

In any event, it looks like the Firefly crew has a significant skill and teamwork advantage no matter what firearms are used, standard or blasters.
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 12-13-2018 at 11:21 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

'Comparable weapons with which they all have familiarity' is a much better idea than the appalling splat-ball torture devices you considered giving them here... ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    'Comparable weapons with which they all have familiarity' is a much better idea than the appalling splat-ball torture devices you considered giving them here... ^_^
    Alternatively, the paint-balls could be acidic only to clothing and inanimate materials, but be contact poison to flesh. It's not strictly necessary for purposes of the duel that the losers suffer horribly as they die, screaming and screaming and screaming, or what have you. So there's that.

In any event, I always assume the Khazan gods will resurrect the losers, mind-wipe them, and send them back to their respective realities in their original condition. Otherwise, we'd never be able to make them fight to the death again another time....

Does Han get a table to fire from beneath?

(I’m now having visions of Classic Kingpin hurling an oak desk that spins through the air with Han Solo blaster fire spraying out in all directions.)

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    This just reminded me that Jayne actually tracked down Mal and Zoe and got the drop on them before Mal gave him a better offer to join his crew. Plus, he snuck up on Patience's sniper and took him out. We tend to think of Jayne as a big lumbering lug, which he generally is, but he's plenty sneaky too. Odds are high that the Star Wars crew die before they even get off one shot, no matter what weapons either side has.
    Nope, Han will shoot first.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    Alternatively, the paint-balls could be acidic only to clothing and inanimate materials, but be contact poison to flesh. It's not strictly necessary for purposes of the duel that the losers suffer horribly as they die, screaming and screaming and screaming, or what have you. So there's that.
    Something like that would be better, though poison tends to take a while. ^_^

I like 'magical weapons that mimic the handling of each side's normal weaponry, and are equally lethal'. Or somesuch.

In any event, I always assume the Khazan gods will resurrect the losers, mind-wipe them, and send them back to their respective realities in their original condition. Otherwise, we'd never be able to make them fight to the death again another time....
    It's just...you know, appallingly horrifying and will end with everyone on the ground, screaming in agony, because the splat balls will require multiple hits in reasonably critical areas to put anyone down. I'm relatively sure that people on both sides can take a few while firing back, and then everyone's down, the audience is cringing, people are calling for medics, ugh...
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Honestly, I can see the Firefly crew deciding to just keep the guns as a last resort and instead try to rig the portion of the mall that they are not in to explode and/or burn down. It's not like malls don't have propane tanks, timers, and laser sensors readily available.

Or, if it's an American mall, guns that are fairly similar to what the Firefly crew are used to.

BANNED

I'd say this fight comes down to Chewie vs the brain-washed super assassin chick, the Doc's lil sister River Tam. A real strength vs speed battle, but if Chewie gets ahold of her, arms coming off, and game over. But wait she's not in this fight, so....Chewie wins, bowcaster style (its a crazy strong weapon, very fitting for a wookie) or melee.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seaturkey View Post
    I'd say this fight comes down to Chewie vs the brain-washed super assassin chick, the Doc's lil sister River Tam. A real strength vs speed battle, but if Chewie gets ahold of her, arms coming off, and game over. But wait she's not in this fight, so....Chewie wins, bowcaster style (its a crazy strong weapon, very fitting for a wookie) or melee.
    Some points:

A) no one is using their normal guns;

Bee) None of these folks wears armor, so their all about as vulnerable to weapons fire about the same as one another, so the bowcaster wouldn't really be any more effective than an average assault rifle;

Sea) This is a scenario match in a mall, so guerilla tactics will probably be the key to victory, and the Firefly crew send to be a lot better at that, especially considering that the tech level of a standard Earth mall is probably a lot closer to something that they can work with than it would be to the Star Wars characters.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I mean, Leia is royalty and probably has a lot of cash to buy off their opponents.
    How rich she is is problematic. If you have no homeworld, your money of that world is useless. No one would accept it since it has nothing backing it up. it's worth 0.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Allan View Post
    How rich she is is problematic. If you have no homeworld, your money of that world is useless. No one would accept it since it has nothing backing it up. it's worth 0.
    As I recall, the galaxy has a unified credit system that supersedes local currency. While her homeworld might no longer exist, reducing her physical asset worth, I would be shocked of the Organa family didn't have a bunch of capital stored on other planets or in whatever passes for an interplanetary bank.