Page 201 of 325 FirstFirst ... 101151191197198199200201202203204205211251301 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,015 of 4870

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    You're overthinking it- "Evil scientist that experiments on mutants and himself" is very easy to do.
    I agree. That kind of villain works for a Gifted series, IMO, and not the bombast of an MCU X-Men film. We’ll see. I would prefer something louder, bigger, and brighter.

movie where the x-men fight the mauraders except they're all mimes and then the band KISS in the last act with gene simmons as sinister and then a post credits where ice cube with blue lipstick declares the dawn of a new age
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    movie where the x-men fight the mauraders except they're all mimes and then the band KISS in the last act with gene simmons as sinister and then a post credits where ice cube with blue lipstick declares the dawn of a new age
    X-Men: Ragnarock’n’Roll.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Sure! IMHO “Classic” Sinister is a mastermind super villain, who works in shadows and employs thugs to do a variety of heinous activities. The methodical nature of his character requires several movies to build up, like Thanos.

Secondly, his preoccupation with genetic strands and specifically the Summers line never made any sense, given the power inherent to the Grey, Xavier or even Magneto or Munroe families. In recent times that’s changed, but it still figures prominently in his history.

Third, his origin is all over the place and changes dramatically to suit whoever’s writing him in books. This leaves screenwriters with nothing tangible. Is he a Victorian mad scientist who did a deal with a devil? Does he run an orphanage in middle America? Is he the mysterious Essex? In books he can be all that, but explaining all that does nothing but chew runtime when we really want to watch X-Men be X-Men.

Fourth, his look is overwrought. I can’t imagine it would translate to screen and still convey the right tone of dread and horror.
    Okay, Thanks
    These are valid points but I'm sure some things could be simplified, it won't be comic accurate but nothing is 100%.
    I personally think he is the best guy to connect multiple movies given that FOX already wasted Apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Sure! IMHO “Classic” Sinister is a mastermind super villain, who works in shadows and employs thugs to do a variety of heinous activities. The methodical nature of his character requires several movies to build up, like Thanos.

Secondly, his preoccupation with genetic strands and specifically the Summers line never made any sense, given the power inherent to the Grey, Xavier or even Magneto or Munroe families. In recent times that’s changed, but it still figures prominently in his history.

Third, his origin is all over the place and changes dramatically to suit whoever’s writing him in books. This leaves screenwriters with nothing tangible. Is he a Victorian mad scientist who did a deal with a devil? Does he run an orphanage in middle America? Is he the mysterious Essex? In books he can be all that, but explaining all that does nothing but chew runtime when we really want to watch X-Men be X-Men.

Fourth, his look is overwrought. I can’t imagine it would translate to screen and still convey the right tone of dread and horror.
    1. No he doesn't need multiple movies of build up but even if he did him showing up and say beating tar out of couple X-men and disappearing would be build up and bigger showdown can happen in other movie

2. His obsession with Summers line makes sense as a geneticist, Summers family represent one half of perfect strain so to speak,It doesn't matter if other lines might do the trick the Summers line will do the trick.

3. His origin being all over the place does not hurt. They don't have to tell it all in one movie Wolverine and Cable have convoluted back stories and neither X1 and Deadpool was hurt by it, you just need to tell what information is relevant to the movie b. A good movie adaption will choose parts of the story that work the best and tweak them, X-2 changed Stryker from Preacher to more of Soldier and that way they were able to sneak Wolverine's Weapon X storyline. I think most fans where fine with changes made because it was well done.

4. If it was Fox with Ivan Ooze maybe you should worried about the looks but MCU was flawless with Thanos beside Sinister is a two part look.

The first part would be ,more practical and probably look like this

The second part could look something like this,when he decides to be serious and be more monstrous
    Capture.jpg

Of course this whole lot of defense of a character I probably wouldn't use as the first villain in a X-men movie. My choice would be something like this

MCU X-men 1. Magneto and Acolytes start strong (and remove Magneto from the table after)- Mutant Genesis mixed Ultimate X-men 1
    MCU X-men 2. Mr Sinister and Marauders- Mutant Massacre mixed with some other story probably something with Hellfire Club.
    MCU X-men 3 part 1 Bastion and Humans(Graydon Creed)/ Legion- Legion Quest with hint of Operation Zero Tolerance
    MCU X-men 3 part 2 Apocalypse/ Bastion & Nimrod/Magneto- Age of Apocalypse/ Days of Future Past with a hint of Operation Zero Tolerance.

I am not in the camp of avoid the best villains because of Fox, We have a limited window with actors tell the best stories use the best villains.With Acolytes around you can use Magneto more final boss with Acolytes doing most of the heavy lifting as the villians ,Beside after using Wolverine and Magneto in the first movie. I would send Wolverine off to do solo projects until part 3.Would fake kill Magneto and bring him back as antihero in movie 3 part 2. After successful run with classic stories you break out the different villains.

MCU X-men 4. Ord(or any other villain)- The Gifted
    MCU X-men 5. Cassandra Nova- E is for Extinction/Torn
    MCU X-men 6. Messiah Complex
    MCU X-men 6 part 2 Messiah War

Something like that is what I would see
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 07-14-2019 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    1. No he doesn't need multiple movies of build up but even if he did him showing up and say beating tar out of couple X-men and disappearing would be build up and bigger showdown can happen in other movie

2. His obsession with Summers line makes sense as a geneticist, Summers family represent one half of perfect strain so to speak,It doesn't matter if other lines might do the trick the Summers line will do the trick.

3. His origin being all over the place does not hurt. They don't have to tell it all in one movie Wolverine and Cable have convoluted back stories and neither X1 and Deadpool was hurt by it, you just need to tell what information is relevant to the movie b. A good movie adaption will choose parts of the story that work the best and tweak them, X-2 changed Stryker from Preacher to more of Soldier and that way they were able to sneak Wolverine's Weapon X storyline. I think most fans where fine with changes made because it was well done.

4. If it was Fox with Ivan Ooze maybe you should worried about the looks but MCU was flawless with Thanos beside Sinister is a two part look.

The second part could look something like this,when he decides to be serious and be more monstrous
    Capture.jpg

Of course this whole lot of defense of a character I probably wouldn't use as the first villain in a X-men movie. My choice would be something like this

MCU X-men 1. Magneto and Acolytes start strong (and remove Magneto from the table after)- Mutant Genesis mixed Ultimate X-men 1
    MCU X-men 2. Mr Sinister and Marauders- Mutant Massacre mixed with some other story probably something with Hellfire Club.
    MCU X-men 3 part 1 Bastion and Humans(Graydon Creed)/ Legion- Legion Quest with hint of Operation Zero Tolerance
    MCU X-men 3 part 2 Apocalypse/ Bastion & Nimrod/Magneto- Age of Apocalypse/ Days of Future Past with a hint of Operation Zero Tolerance.

I am not in the camp of avoid the best villains because of Fox, We have a limited window with actors tell the best stories use the best villains.With Acolytes around you can use Magneto more final boss with Acolytes doing most of the heavy lifting as the villians ,Beside after using Wolverine and Magneto in the first movie. I would send Wolverine off to do solo projects until part 3.Would fake kill Magneto and bring him back as antihero in movie 3 part 2. After successful run with classic stories you break out the different villains.

There is always time to cast Magneto you don't need him in the first movie besides a cameo at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I think I saw something when Apocalypse came out that they didn’t even know that Psylocke was a telepath or something. It could also be this twin brother thing and maybe I’m remembering wrong. I feel like it was always obvious Singer and Kinberg didn’t know anything about these characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

Capture.jpg

I just wanted to point out my agreement on two major points:

1.) many times people say a certain character or arc needs multiple movies to build up. I just don’t think this is true. While it would definitely be great to have a slower build like comics allow, movies are a different beast. A good and focused movie can easily develop brand new characters in one feature.

2.) I agree that mcu xmen plots and characters shouldn’t be avoided just because fox did them. The only exception I would say is Phoenix due to how recent it is- otherwise game on.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Mighty Member

Didn't Singer have a "no comics" policy on set? I remember one of the actors talking about it during the X-Men Trilogy, but I can't confirm.

Also, the Captain Britain thing might be a bit controversial since Captain Britain's rights at the time sat with Marvel Studios. It would be fine if they just said "well, we don't own those rights" vs. not knowing a thing.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Didn't one of them say at one point (either Singer or Kinberg) that the only thing they knew about the X-Men came from the animated series? I was pretty sure neither of them had ever actually read an X-men comic in their lives.

Repeat after me:

"The movies are not the comics. The movies are not the comics. The movies are not the comics..."
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Repeat after me:

"The movies are not the comics. The movies are not the comics. The movies are not the comics..."
    True. But I feel like if you’re going to adapt something to love action you should be familiar with the source material.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    True. But I feel like if you’re going to adapt something to love action you should be familiar with the source material.
    Yeah, imagine if a director of a Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings movie said they never read the books or forbade the actors from reading them.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Repeat after me:

No one here is advocating for a one-to-one translation from comic to film, but it is a stupid for the director and writers to not know the general history, powers, family, and personality of the characters they're adapting.

Seriously, even people on The Gifted read the comics. Emma Dumont says she read the comics via the free subscription given to her through the Marvel Unlimited app and Percy Hynes White, despite losing his password according to an interview, read trades and floppies, and he played a mostly original character.