Page 73 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2363697071727374757677 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1195
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    So who's the favorite in the AFC South now? Jacksonville with Foles, or the Texans?

I'm kind of thinking the Jags.
    I’m leaning towards Houston which has Deshaun Watson who’s nearing his prime while Foles is past his. But, if a disgruntled Jadeveon Clowney is traded, that would severely weaken the Texans’ defense, and their chances to win the division.

Addendum: Word got around fast at Lucas Oil Stadium, home of the Colts about Luck’s sudden retirement, and fans booed him as he left the field. Classy move, folks.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Watch the Titans come out of no where to take the division
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Yup, it's Houston's division to lose now. Jacoby's a decent QB, but let's be real; the Colts needed Luck to make the playoffs.

Welp, it's tanking time!

Man, **** Ryan Grigson with a rusty tailpipe laced with Carolina reaper hot sauce, and don't think Jim Irsay gets off scot-free; the drunk bastard hired him. If it wasn't for his gross incompetence, Andrew Luck wouldn't be in this situation where he had to retire thanks to being held together with surgical equipment and prayer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    I already have them pencilled in for 2nd place - Houston lost their RB for the season and Clowney is supposed to be traded within 48 hours. And the Colts are down to the backup QB before the season even starts, at least he is more mobile than Luck was, which will be needed behind that imitation O-line he will be behind.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Man, you just listen to Luck announcing this after the preseason game, and he's just breaking down. Luck is normally not known for his emotions (heck, the General Andrew Luck meme exists for a reason other than his looks), but seeing a man cry is difficult to watch, especially knowing his playing career is over with.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I’m leaning towards Houston which has Deshaun Watson who’s nearing his prime while Foles is past his. But, if a disgruntled Jadeveon Clowney is traded, that would severely weaken the Texans’ defense, and their chances to win the division.

Addendum: Word got around fast at Lucas Oil Stadium, home of the Colts about Luck’s sudden retirement, and fans booed him as he left the field. Classy move, folks.
    Yeah, I saw that. I am royally pissed. Ideally, I'd like to think they are mad about Luck retiring and aren't booing Luck for retiring, but... that's just messed up. He doesn't want to retire, but if your body can't recover, and you have to deal with torn ligaments, bone issues, and a lacerated organ, you have to call it a career.

And, ticket sales are going to plummet now that Luck's retired. Heck, I can probably get two tickets for around $40 combined come November now.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    Man, you just listen to Luck announcing this after the preseason game, and he's just breaking down. Luck is normally not known for his emotions (heck, the General Andrew Luck meme exists for a reason other than his looks), but seeing a man cry is difficult to watch, especially knowing his playing career is over with.
    A reporter asked if the fans booing him off the field as he walked into the locker room bothered him. He said yeah it did hurt a bit. Really unfortunate people were acting like dirt bags. I can understand being disappointed for sure, but it's pretty nasty to boo him like he owes you something.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I already have them pencilled in for 2nd place - Houston lost their RB for the season and Clowney is supposed to be traded within 48 hours. And the Colts are down to the backup QB before the season even starts, at least he is more mobile than Luck was, which will be needed behind that imitation O-line he will be behind.
    Rumor has it he might be traded to Philly, but nothing’s been even remotely confirmed. If it’s true however, perhaps the Birds might sweeten the pot with Cody Kessler who looks to be the odd man out on the team’s QB depth chart behind (in descending order) Carson Wentz, Josh McCown and Nate Sudfeld.

By the way, to change topics; the NFL really needs to look at these gimmick policies in the preseason, which I doubt they will since they're in it for the money. The whole fiasco ended up making the city of Winnipeg and the Blue Bombers CFL team look incompetent when in reality it was the promoters of the game that didn't know what the hell they were doing.

80 yard field and no kickoffs... how the heck do you pull that off?

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    Love their running game and line play... but Mariota doesn't give me a ton of enthusiasm for that.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HowitzerJoe View Post
    A reporter asked if the fans booing him off the field as he walked into the locker room bothered him. He said yeah it did hurt a bit. Really unfortunate people were acting like dirt bags. I can understand being disappointed for sure, but it's pretty nasty to boo him like he owes you something.
    The whole culture of sports in America just encourages us to view players as these disposable sacks of meat to be chewed up and spit out, not as actual people who have all the same emotional and personal needs as any of us. And for a guy like Luck, who is even in a privileged position for being a franchise player and generally respected around the league, to get this sort of treatment just shows what most of these fans, who will wear a guy's jersey like cosplay but lack any real appreciation for the man, are really like.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 08-24-2019 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HowitzerJoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    The whole culture of sports in America just encourages us to view players as these disposable sacks of meat to be chewed up and spit out, not as actual people who have all the same emotional and personal needs as any of us. And for a guy like Luck, who is even in a privileged position for being a franchise player and generally respected around the league, to get this sort of treatment just shows what most of these fans, who will wear a guy's jersey like cosplay but lack any real appreciation for the man, are really like.
    I won't even try to justify Colts fans booing Luck which was horribad, but I can understand their anger over what he had done. If Luck had his fill of football because of all the injuries he suffered, he should've retired after last season so Indy could've immediately started the wheels rolling to replace him, either through the draft, a trade or free agency, for Luck to call it quits TWO WEEKS before the new season started smacked of selfishness at worst, shortsightedness at best. Now, if the owner and/or GM suspected beforehand that Luck might do what he did, then it's on them for not preparing for the worst case scenario in advance, but, if they were blindsided like the fans, then there was nothing the team could've done. Meanwhile, if the Colts are smart, they run up the white flag, tank the season and draft the best passer coming out of college in 2020.

I won't even try to justify Colts fans booing Luck which was horribad, but I can understand their anger over what he had done. If Luck had his fill of football because of all the injuries he suffered, he should've retired after last season so Indy could've immediately started the wheels rolling to replace him, either through the draft, a trade or free agency, for Luck to call it quits TWO WEEKS before the new season started smacked of selfishness at worst, shortsightedness at best. Now, if the owner and/or GM suspected beforehand that Luck might do what he did, then it's on them for not preparing for the worst case scenario in advance, but, if they were blindsided like the fans, then there was nothing the team could've done. Meanwhile, if the Colts are smart, they run up the white flag, tank the season and draft the best passer coming out of college in 2020.
    Andrew doesn't owe the Colts anything though. Or fans. He's not obligated to retire when it's most convenient for other people. He's obligated to retire when it's right for him. Fans need to have some perspective when investing time and money in professional sports. They aren't guaranteed a amazing experience. This is the risk you take when you buy jerseys, play fantasy football, or whatever the case may be. Also, this the same league where teams will cut a player at any point after they're down washing their hands with him, and that player is no longer useful. Fans don't usually get up in arms about that though, because they know player X isn't likely to live up to the standard of their viewing experience. So it's fine.

I understand fans are disappointed, and angry. I'd be very dejected if Jimmy G retired tomorrow. Devastated as a fan. But if I was in attendance at a game, and found out the news on my phone, and saw Jimmy walking to the locker room I'd wouldn't partake in booing him. Really, I never boo under any circumstance unless a player is a real dirt bag. To me I think it's just disgusting, and it just shows that certain people only see players as pawns for their own personal benefit. These people didn't even take the time to understand why Luck was retiring. They just wanted to immediately vent their anger at him. Andrew provided a lot of entertainment to those same Colts fans for 6 years or so, and this is how they repay him. It's a disgrace.

BTW, I think Andrew had been mulling retirement for at least 2 weeks.
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 08-25-2019 at 03:06 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Honestly I’ll justify it a bit. The news got leaked. You had a bunch of drunk fans who read mid game that the QB who was supposed to lead their team into the season, that was projected to win their division and be Super a Bowl contenders, that they released Peyton Manning for, that was supposed to be they QB for the better part of the next ten years, was out of nowhere leaving forever right before the season started. They also got all this news out of context and it was a gut reaction in the moment. They knew that their season just ended. Colts fans since they got Luck were waiting for this team to have the talent they did now and a decent coach and GM. Now the centerpiece is gone. They didn’t get to hear this from a press conference where Luck told them what was going on. It wasn’t in some controlled environment. It was a tweet by Adam Schefter. This was a group of people looking at their phones and gossiping in a stadium over the course of an hour trying to make sense of what just happened.