Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    What is DM?
    I think he means, in context of this conversation, Demon Macendale.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Ah, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    Nice attitude man. I have read pretty much the entirety of ASM and a whole lot of other series too so I have read plenty.
    If you think DM is a classic you should do yourself the favor of reading some more and not confuse your own taste with everyone elses. Atleast I have polls from this and other sites to show you I am not alone in my view here.
    NWTD had appearences of major villians and art by one of the biggest ASM artists from the last 30 years, whereas DM was a version that last for a very short amount too. Atleast antivenon got his own mini.
    I never said DM was classic, just notable.

Venom, Carnage, Harry Goblin, Ben Reilly, and Kaine, however, are all classic characters to some degree or another, and outclass anything introduced lately.
    Last edited by Scarlet Spider-Man; 11-11-2017 at 03:16 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yep. Considering the post I quoted I thought that would be obvious.

BANNED

I never said DM was classic, just notable.

Venom, Carnage, Harry Goblin, Ben Reilly, and Kaine, however, are all classic characters, and outclass anything introduced lately.
    Its certaintly not anymore notable then stories like NWTD, Spiderverse or Superior Spider-man. Nor as notable a character as Mr. Negative or Spider-Gwen. Atleast Mr. Negative has had exposere in other medias the last 10 years. DM? Not so much.
    Also Harry Goblin? If we are including characters from the 70s then why not include other characters too?

Its certaintly not anymore notable then stories like NWTD, Spiderverse or Superior Spider-man. Nor as notable a character as Mr. Negative or Spider-Gwen. Atleast Mr. Negative has had exposere in other medias the last 10 years. DM? Not so much.
    Also Harry Goblin? If we are including characters from the 70s then why not include other characters too?
    You seem heavily focused on DM, but keep conveniently glossing over everything else I mentioned. You really think Mr. Photoshop is a classic villain? How about Alpha? Or Freak?

Harry Goblin was created in the 70's, but the character peaked in the 90's.
    Last edited by Scarlet Spider-Man; 11-11-2017 at 03:34 PM.

BANNED

You seem heavily focused on DM, but keep conveniently glossing over everything else I mentioned. You really think Mr. Photoshop is a classic villain? How about Alpha? Or Freak?

Harry Goblin was created in the 70's, but the character peaked in the 90's.
    And you seem heavily focused on downplaying the popularity of some stories and characters from the last 10 years.
    Yes I think Mr Negative is better then a character like “edge demon version of existing character”. ( Yeah I can do the silly nicknames too).
    And no I dont think freak is a classic character. But do you really think any of the knock off symbiote characters besides Venom and Carnage count as classic villians either? Thats the point each decade/era has its share of characters that lasts. Its not like characters like stegron, white rabbit or the gibbon are that great either. Or has had the same multimedia exposere as mr negavtive.

And you seem heavily focused on downplaying the popularity of some stories and characters from the last 10 years.
    Yes I think Mr Negative is better then a character like “edge demon version of existing character”. ( Yeah I can do the silly nicknames too).
    And no I dont think freak is a classic character. But do you really think any of the knock off symbiote characters besides Venom and Carnage count as classic villians either? Thats the point each decade/era has its share of characters that lasts. Its not like characters like stegron, white rabbit or the gibbon are that great either. Or has had the same multimedia exposere as mr negavtive.
    I cited Venom and Carnage, no other symbiotes. And isn't Anti-Venom one of those "knock off symbiotes?"

Don't forget Ben Reilly and Kaine, two more classic characters from the 90's. And the aforementioned prime Harry Green Goblin, who gave us one of the greatest Spider-Man stories ever.

I'm not downplaying anything, it has been a very "meh" decade for Spider-Man. If the crux of your support is Mr. Negative, then you've kind of made my argument for me.
    Last edited by Scarlet Spider-Man; 11-11-2017 at 05:34 PM.

It's a bit tough to tell what's going to have an impact years from now since Dan Slott has been the main Spider-Man writer for a while, so we don't know what's going to be used by the next guys. It is also possible for something that sucks to have a good impact. Dennis O'Neil's run is poorly regarded, but Madame West played a key role in "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut" one of the best Spider-Man stories ever.

Things I expect to be a part of the Spider-Man mythos over a decade from now...
    - Mr. Negative
    - Miles Morales
    - Spider-Gwen
    - That time Doctor Octopus and Peter Parker swapped bodies.
    - Regular interactions with alternate universe versions of Spider-Man
    - Kaine becoming a superhero
    - Flash Thompson as Venom (I don't expect him to be Venom, but it will be part of both of their backgrounds going forward.)

Meanwhile, looking at the 90s, the following had an impact...
    - The Return of the Sinister Six
    - Carnage
    - The Harry Osborn Green Goblin saga
    - What If? #105 (the first appearance of Spider-Girl)
    - The return of Norman Osborn

The larger Clone Saga has been relevant in ways, although it was 100+ issues.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's a bit tough to tell what's going to have an impact years from now since Dan Slott has been the main Spider-Man writer for a while, so we don't know what's going to be used by the next guys. It is also possible for something that sucks to have a good impact. Dennis O'Neil's run is poorly regarded, but Madame West played a key role in "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut" one of the best Spider-Man stories ever.

Things I expect to be a part of the Spider-Man mythos over a decade from now...
    - Mr. Negative
    - Miles Morales
    - Spider-Gwen
    - That time Doctor Octopus and Peter Parker swapped bodies.
    - Regular interactions with alternate universe versions of Spider-Man
    - Kaine becoming a superhero
    - Flash Thompson as Venom (I don't expect him to be Venom, but it will be part of both of their backgrounds going forward.)

Meanwhile, looking at the 90s, the following had an impact...
    - The Return of the Sinister Six
    - Carnage
    - The Harry Osborn Green Goblin saga
    - What If? #105 (the first appearance of Spider-Girl)
    - The return of Norman Osborn

The larger Clone Saga has been relevant in ways, although it was 100+ issues.
    Having a significant, lasting impact is different from "hey, you remember when x happened?"

Dan Slott's Spider-Man run has been regressive, at best. It started out alright, and it just got worse as time went on. Here's to hoping that when he's done with Spider-Man somebody will come in and right the ship.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

90's X-Men was gold.
    Fair enough.

As far as Spider-Man goes, the 90's gave us:

Ben Reilly
    Kaine
    Carnage (in his prime)
    Demonic Hobgoblin

We had artists like McFarlane, Larsen, and Bagley.

And some great stories featuring villains like Venom and Harry Goblin.

I can't think of a single remarkable thing Spider-Man has given us in this entire decade so far. This year, in particular, is completely forgettable.
    Okay, I'd say Ben, Kaine, Carnage, Venom (though technically an 80s thing), and Harry are noteworthy. Demon Hobgoblin definitely isn't.

But there have been a ton of notable and awesome stories in the past decade as well, such as: OMD (notable, but not awesome), New Ways To Die (awesome, and notable), American Son (awesome and notable), Grim Hunt/Gauntlet (awesome and notable), Big Time/Horizon (awesome and notable), Agent Venom (awesome and notable), Kaine as Scarlet Spider (awesome and notable), Spider-Island (awesome and notable), Superior Spider-Man (awesome and very notable), Parker Industries (awesome and notable), Spider-Verse (awesome and very notable), Miles Morales (awesome and notable), Spider-Gwen (awesome and notable), and RYV family (awesome and notable). So, I'm not sure how you can't think of anything remarkable this decade... If anything, I'd say there is MORE remarkable stuff this decade than during the 90s.

Having a significant, lasting impact is different from "hey, you remember when x happened?"
    Harry Osborn's Goblin story has not had a significant lasting impact, especially since retconned. Venom has, but he was from the 80s not 90s. The 90s stories of Venom have not had a significant lasting impact. Carnage has not really had a significant lasting impact. Demonic Hobgoblin has not really had any impact. The two clones have had impacts, but are usually just completely ignored.

Meanwhile, I can bet Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen will have longer impact than anything you talked about from the 90s, tbh. Spider-Verse is already like a huge thing, more than any event from the 90s ever was. Superior Spidey will have a lasting impact on Ock's story. And the list goes on.
    Last edited by blackspidey2099; 11-11-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Those were rhetorical questions. I already know the answers.
    No you don't. You just like to think you do. There's a lot of comics between now and 2037. Who knows what will be brought back, referenced, and reused between now and then.

I didn't forget about Spider-Verse, it just wasn't really worth mentioning.
    That's as good a proof as any that your opinion isn't the be-all end-all of Spider-man preferences. You should stop acting like it is.

Carnage has not really had a significant lasting impact.
    I'm going to disagree with you here. Carnage is regulaalry listed among Spider-man greatest villains and often shows up in his cartoons and videogames.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Fair enough.

Okay, I'd say Ben, Kaine, Carnage, Venom (though technically an 80s thing), and Harry are noteworthy. Demon Hobgoblin definitely isn't.

But there have been a ton of notable and awesome stories in the past decade as well, such as: OMD (notable, but not awesome), New Ways To Die (awesome, and notable), American Son (awesome and notable), Grim Hunt/Gauntlet (awesome and notable), Big Time/Horizon (awesome and notable), Agent Venom (awesome and notable), Kaine as Scarlet Spider (awesome and notable), Spider-Island (awesome and notable), Superior Spider-Man (awesome and very notable), Parker Industries (awesome and notable), Spider-Verse (awesome and very notable), Miles Morales (awesome and notable), Spider-Gwen (awesome and notable), and RYV family (awesome and notable). So, I'm not sure how you can't think of anything remarkable this decade... If anything, I'd say there is MORE remarkable stuff this decade than during the 90s.

Harry Osborn's Goblin story has not had a significant lasting impact, especially since retconned. Venom has, but he was from the 80s not 90s. The 90s stories of Venom have not had a significant lasting impact. Carnage has not really had a significant lasting impact. Demonic Hobgoblin has not really had any impact. The two clones have had impacts, but are usually just completely ignored.

Meanwhile, I can bet Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen will have longer impact than anything you talked about from the 90s, tbh. Spider-Verse is already like a huge thing, more than any event from the 90s ever was. Superior Spidey will have a lasting impact on Ock's story. And the list goes on.
    Yeah, I'm sorry, but almost none of the stuff you listed as notable actually is. By that token, you may as well say that everything that has ever happened in the history of ever is notable. But hey, if you're that easily impressed, then it must be a good life for you.

Harry's final Goblin story has been adapted multiple times in Spider-Man media.

Carnage is one of Spider-Man's greatest villains.

Spider-Verse is nowhere near as huge as Maximum Carnage or the Clone Saga were in the 90's. Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    No you don't. You just like to think you do. There's a lot of comics between now and 2037. Who knows what will be brought back, referenced, and reused between now and then.

That's as good a proof as any that your opinion isn't the be-all end-all of Spider-man preferences. You should stop acting like it is.

I'm going to disagree with you here. Carnage is regulaalry listed among Spider-man greatest villains and often shows up in his cartoons and videogames.
    Time will tell, but I'm very confident in my predictions. I'm right far more often than not with these things.

Nobody outside of Spider-Man fans knows what Spider-Verse even is, other than lots of Spider-Men running around for some reason. You are vastly overestimating the impact of that story which, btw, fell flat at the end, like most modern Spider-Man stories.