Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Your Top 5 Comedy Shows

Yes I love lists so please tell me what are your Top 5 comedies ever?

I've been thinking hard about mine, and I came up with this list in no order:

The Nanny - I just loved it. Very funny with memorable characters. It makes me feel so good. Niles the butler was hilarious.

The Golden Girls - Same, very entertaining group of ladies and great acting. Rose gets on my nerves sometimes though. My fave is Sophia, so sassy.

Taxi - I miss it, haven't seen it since the 90s in reruns, but I enjoyed it a lot. Always made me laugh.

Mom - Currently watching this show in reruns on FXX, and it's so well made. Very funny and with lots of depth about people with addictions. Allison Janney is a great actress wow.

Chuck - the NBC spy show. Not exactly a comedy, but there was a lot of great humor and funny characters. It always made me laugh. I miss Casey.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 08-10-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

In no particular order:

Flip Wilson So much talent gone too soon
    Hogan's Heroes "I see nothing! NOTHING!"
    Carol Burnett Show omg, where to start?
    Addam's Family Thing. Cousin It. Various torture instruments as recreational equipment.
    Home Improvement Tim. The Neighbor's weekly wisdom. Al.

I gotta fit in Night Court.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Retired

1. THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW--when this series ended, I thought my life was over.

2. SEINFELD--the best Superman TV series that wasn't credited as a Superman TV series.

3. THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW--the greatest comedy variety show ever made.

4. THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW--a show about writing a comedy variety show, where the writer is the hero.

5. SCTV--because I'm Canadian and this was the greatest Canadian comedy program other than WAYNE AND SHUSTER or CORNER GAS or KIDS IN THE HALL or COACH'S CORNER.

Spectacular Member

Seinfeld
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Married with Children
    South Park
    Community

Jim Henson's Dinosaurs - I'm the baby got to love me!

The Munsters - Grew up watching Nick at Night.

Two Broke Girls - Kat Denning is a busty funny gem.

Two and a Half Men - Funny.

Cougar Town - Horrible name, fantastic show.

1. The Thick Of It
    2. Veep
    3. You're The Worst
    4. Frasier
    5. Arrested Development
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I'm counting only sitcoms here and not sketch shows...

Arrested Development
    Blackadder
    The Good Place
    The Simpsons (first ~10 seasons)
    WKRP in Cincinnati (#1)

Northern Exposure and How I Met Your Mother might have made the list except for bad final seasons. Honorable mentions:
    'Allo 'Allo
    As Time Goes By
    Barney Miller
    I Love Lucy
    M*A*S*H
    Night Court
    The Odd Couple (original)
    Pushing Daisies
    Taxi
    The Venture Bros.
    Wings

Top comedy sketch shows:

1. Monty Python's Flying Circus
    2. Mystery Science Theater 3000
    3. The Kids in the Hall
    4. SCTV
    5. Saturday Night Live (brilliant runs mixed with mediocre and a handful of bad ones)

BANNED

Barney Miller
    Big Bang Theory
    Cheers
    Frasier
    Whose Line Is It Anyway

1. All in the Family
    then in no particular order:

- Soap
    - Golden Girls
    - Friends
    - Will and Grace

Depending on the day, Friends and Will and Grace might drop out in favor of something else, but AITF, Soap, and Golden Girls will probably always be in the top 5 with AITF always being number 1.

It's hard to pick 5 shows from 70 years of great comedies to choose from.

This is my 1200th post.

All In The Family
    Odd Couple
    Taxi
    Sanford & Son
    The Munsters

There's no real way I can name just five and not change my mind five minutes later. I skimmed the thread. Some great ideas.

Hogan's Heroes. I know the show was criticized for doing a comedy in a "Concentration camp" But it was NOT a concentration camp. It was a Prisoner of war camp which was totally different. The real life story is actually more fascinating than the show itself. The actor who played the Commandant was Jewish. I believe his father got them out of Germany just before it was too late. He would only play the role if the Nazis were made to look like fools.

John Banner, Sgt. Schultz, was Jewish and was in a Concentration camp during World War II as was Leon Askin who played General Burkhalter. Askin could remember weighing about a hundred pounds in the camp.

The actor who played LeBeau, the French resistance fighter, really was a French resistance fighter in the War and was in a prisoner of war camp.

Anyway, one of the best comedies ever.

Personally, I thought the Honeymooners was hilarious.

Flip Wilson was fantastic and Carol Burnett was phenomenal.

The Golden Girls was great.

There were other great shows like Barney Miller, M*A*S*H and All in the Family among many others but there greatness was in other ways more than comedy.

Also have to mention the Adam West Batman.
    Power with Girl is better.

How has The Honeymooners gone unmentioned?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Whose Line is it Anyway and All in the Family. Those 2 shows have brought me so much joy.

But if we stretch the definition of 'show' then Dragonball Z Abridged is up there.

The Simpsons, at least as it used to be.

Need to watch Hogan's Heroes at some point, I don't think people from my generation know what it is anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Heh, seriously.

I'm terrible at lists, I'll just add some shows that haven't been mentioned for consideration:

Get a Life (Bob Odenkirk and Charlie Kaufman both wrote for this show . . . which isn't surprising if you've seen it)
    NewsRadio
    Titus
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The thing is the classic HONEYMOONERS was only on for one season, mind you that was 39 episodes (a season was a lot longer back then). Maybe only being on for one year allowed them to have a higher quality.

When I was a kid, our family watched THE JACKIE GLEASON SHOW from sunny Miami Beach (as they always touted). And on that program the Honeymooners was a segment with Shiela MacRae as Alice and Jane Kean as Trixie. My parents always talked about the actors on the TV with such familiarity that I thought they must be friends of theirs. They were especially warm about Shiela MacRae and to me she was Alice Kramden. It wasn't until later that I saw the other HONEYMOONERS in syndication.

If the Audrey Meadows version was THE FLINTSTONES then the Miami Beach version was FAMILY GUY--because they often ended up in lavish productions with showgirls and singing and glitzy costumes.

And the history of the Honeymooners is much longer than that, since the sketch first began on Gleason's early 1950s variety program--and there were several iterations of the same basic formula that followed. Not to mention the comic book--JACKIE GLEASON AND THE HONEYMOONERS--that DC published from 1956 to 1958.