Page 10 of 181 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This isn't limited to media starring teens. Try watching some sitcoms from the early to late 90s and see how many references are likely to go over a younger viewer's head.
    Absolutely. Can't count the number of times I've watched Saved by the Bell and seen Zack Morris pull out a cell phone the size of a suitcase. And I don't think anyone truly realizes how many problems on Seinfeld could be solved through use of a cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Hmm. I'm pretty sure this one will be controversial: Characters such as Rogue should have their sexuality clearly defined and never be depicted contrary to their sexuality just because a writer gets off on it. That said, Rogue should be strictly heterosexual. I'm pretty sure Marvel would catch hell if they made Billy or Teddy kiss a girl. The same should apply to Rogue.
    Alternatively: The often-fluid nature of human sexuality is something worth exploring, as long as it's done for the sake of telling an interesting story rather than simple titillation or shock value. A gay character being attracted to a person of the opposite sex could be just as compelling a story as a straight person being attracted to a person of the same sex.

Here's one: Diversity in the form of legacy characters is a completely valid tool for attracting attention to diversity in general. Further, legacy characters are extremely common in comics, and the fact that people complain every single time a woman or minority character takes the mantle of a character who'd previously been a white man is rather questionable.

The Sentry was an awesome character and should be back in play during Secret Wars.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    The Sentry was an awesome character and should be back in play during Secret Wars.
    agreed. at least he's still alive out there somewhere in 616.

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Janet Van Dyne deserves a bigger push from Marvel. The lady was a founding member of the Avengers? Why not have her lead A-Force?

SHIELD is too connected with heroes or dealing with heroes: Avengers, Misty Knight, X-Men, FF.
    Speaking of SHIELD anyone else find it odd that they are kinda doing what the SuperHuman Registration Act was asking for even outside the comics, recruiting teens (Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon).

Norman shouldn't have gone back to being Green Goblin, he could have a good political villain for Avengers and SHIELD.

Scarecrow is a terrible villain for Sam's newly Captain America rogues gallery

I like Carlie Cooper and Alpha

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    agreed. at least he's still alive out there somewhere in 616.
    Until the universe comes to an end that is.

Astonishing Member

SHIELD should be what the Avengers are now.They should have an veritable army of superhumans in their employ. Take a character like John Walker/USAgent. He would be worth what a hundred SHIELD agents are and you could pay him maybe double of what a SHIELD agent makes.

There is no way that a guy like Xavier should have been allowed to amass a group as powerful as the X-men without some government oversight. No private citizen would be allowed to do this.It should have been Nick Fury and Chuck X from the start.

The Illuminati didnt do anything wrong. They were prepared to do the worst, but they didnt do it.........while Namor

Namor is so much better as a villain is not even funny. Namor being free to do anything he wants, is a entertaining Namor. He doesnt need to be Red Skull evil. Hell, he could be in the right most of the time, but its time to leave the hero stuff behind.

Wolverine shouldnt be an Xman or an Avenger. He should be an agent of SHIELD. He could lead the mutant division or something.

Frank Castle is a serial killer.

Anti hero is just lazy and irresponsible story telling. There should be 3 criterias that characters fall into:Normal,Hero(of different degrees,and Villain(of different degrees).

Schism and No More Mutants was just bad for business. No minority can be divided into just two sides. No minority is worth talking about when their is only 200 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by AntoninoC View Post
    This is a fun thread

• I recently started re-watching the 90s X-Men cartoon and, cheesiness aside, it has made me realize just how much current X-Men titles don't work for me. On a related note...
    • Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers are the best those titles have ever been. Ever.
    • I do not understand the popularity of Gillen's Young Avengers. I also do not understand the appeal of having characters speak like they are writing posts for Facebook or Twitter.
    • The X-Men franchise is a bit broken. I don't see them as heroes anymore. I find it hard to think of more than a couple of instances in the last several years where they actually fought to protect the world rather than protect themselves from the world. Some of those stories were interesting but not very heroic.
    • Remender is a great writer and has done an amazing job with both Avengers characters and X-Men characters. The fallout over Havok's speech was insanely overblown.
    100% Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzflower92 View Post
    Gaea should have not been made Thor's mother.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    The breakout at the Raft is a much better origin for the team than "Loki played a magical prank."

Marvel's animation department is in a terrible state. We haven't had a consistently good Marvel cartoon since the first season of Earth's Mightiest Heroes and the DTVs are atrociously bad. Sony should have retained the Spider-Man animation rights instead of the rights to film adaptations. We would have had five or more seasons of Spectacular Spider-Man and 1-2 Spidey MCU movies by now. I'd gladly make a deal with Mephisto to wipe the ASM movies from existence in exchange for 65+ episodes of SSM.
    Agreed. I still hate Bendis' work, but the original origin of the Avengers was way too convoluted. The Raft prison break is better in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Tbf, there was an awful lot of context surrounding her time as the Phoenix especially given that no one knew what it meant, oh and there was the whole her dying afterwards for an extended period of time, versus being given a relaunched flagship book.

My list

Stop killing off characters for shock value
    Monica Rambeau deserves more focus in the Avengers
    Xavier should of never been killed
    There was no point in killing Jean in NXM
    The X-books needs to be slimmed down to the basics
    Marvel DESPERATELY needs this "reboot"
    Stop creating legacy or replacement characters because they are only placeholders until the real character is returned and they're sidelined
    B and C listers need a real push from all the writers at Marvel, a conscious effort to make them relevant
    The same few characters being used needs to be banned for a decade
    Bendis is NOT a good fit for the Avengers or X-men
    Marvel needs to scout for better writers and editors who not only understand the franchises but respects them
    Continuity should not be ignored to tell forgettable stories it should be kept intact
    AvX, and Schism were AWFUL, and all upcoming event needs better editing
    Hope Summers was a cancer on the X-franchise for years and they never really recovered from that
    No more mutant should of never happened, and blaming Wanda is ignoring the bigger issue that Marvel doesn't care about what happens to their characters long-term
    Agreed 100%.

I see your point about the Phoenix, but still my point stands, Scott gets a disproportionate amount of hate directed at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Alternatively: The often-fluid nature of human sexuality is something worth exploring, as long as it's done for the sake of telling an interesting story rather than simple titillation or shock value. A gay character being attracted to a person of the opposite sex could be just as compelling a story as a straight person being attracted to a person of the same sex.

Here's one: Diversity in the form of legacy characters is a completely valid tool for attracting attention to diversity in general. Further, legacy characters are extremely common in comics, and the fact that people complain every single time a woman or minority character takes the mantle of a character who'd previously been a white man is rather questionable.
    Agreed!

I'd like to add a few more:

I don't see the appeal in Howard the Duck.
    I don't see the appeal in Luke Cage.

Wolverine should stay dead for a long time, and when he inevitably comes back, he should be back to his 90's power levels (i.e: he heals fast and doesn't age, but he can't grow back a limb, much less his entire body from only one cell).

I don't like the Jean Grey School. It looks like some weird alien stuff stitched to a regular mansion. Also, surprise danger room tests for all students? Who would actually want to spend time in a school like that? The thing is a fucking death trap. You know who got the Xavier Institute perfectly? The movies.

Carnage is a terrible villain
    Most of the Marvel Superman clones are terrible (Hyperion, Sentry, Wonder Man)
    Blade is the only non-stereotypical black Marvel character who isn't from Africa or the "hood"
    Carol Danvers is a terrible character, so is Black Panther
    Dan Slott is the worst Marvel writer and it's not even close
    Spider-Man comics have been awful for the last 10 years (not counting the Ultimate line)
    Marvel events are truly awful, Civil War and Infinity War being the absolute worst

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Carnage is a terrible villain
    Most of the Marvel Superman clones are terrible (Hyperion, Sentry, Wonder Man)
    Blade is the only non-stereotypical black Marvel character who isn't from Africa or the "hood"
    Carol Danvers is a terrible character, so is Black Panther
    Dan Slott is the worst Marvel writer and it's not even close
    Spider-Man comics have been awful for the last 10 years (not counting the Ultimate line)
    Marvel events are truly awful, Civil War and Infinity War being the absolute worst
    Excuse me, but how is Wonder Man a Superman clone?

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    SHIELD should be what the Avengers are now.They should have an veritable army of superhumans in their employ. Take a character like John Walker/USAgent. He would be worth what a hundred SHIELD agents are and you could pay him maybe double of what a SHIELD agent makes.

There is no way that a guy like Xavier should have been allowed to amass a group as powerful as the X-men without some government oversight. No private citizen would be allowed to do this.It should have been Nick Fury and Chuck X from the start.

The Illuminati didnt do anything wrong. They were prepared to do the worst, but they didnt do it.........while Namor

Namor is so much better as a villain is not even funny. Namor being free to do anything he wants, is a entertaining Namor. He doesnt need to be Red Skull evil. Hell, he could be in the right most of the time, but its time to leave the hero stuff behind.

Wolverine shouldnt be an Xman or an Avenger. He should be an agent of SHIELD. He could lead the mutant division or something.

Frank Castle is a serial killer.

Anti hero is just lazy and irresponsible story telling. There should be 3 criterias that characters fall into:Normal,Hero(of different degrees,and Villain(of different degrees).

Schism and No More Mutants was just bad for business. No minority can be divided into just two sides. No minority is worth talking about when their is only 200 of them.
    Well, i guess that given the mutants arent tecnically people, the Professor was just abusing a loophole.

Quote Originally Posted by SidheKnight View Post
    100% Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed. I still hate Bendis' work, but the original origin of the Avengers was way too convoluted. The Raft prison break is better in every way.

Agreed 100%.

I see your point about the Phoenix, but still my point stands, Scott gets a disproportionate amount of hate directed at him.

Agreed!

I'd like to add a few more:

I don't see the appeal in Howard the Duck.
    I don't see the appeal in Luke Cage.

Wolverine should stay dead for a long time, and when he inevitably comes back, he should be back to his 90's power levels (i.e: he heals fast and doesn't age, but he can't grow back a limb, much less his entire body from only one cell).

I don't like the Jean Grey School. It looks like some weird alien stuff stitched to a regular mansion. Also, surprise danger room tests for all students? Who would actually want to spend time in a school like that? The thing is a fucking death trap. You know who got the Xavier Institute perfectly? The movies.
    Well, that's why the only ones that lives there are the ones who dont any other place to stay or want protection from anti-mutant attacks.

But its necessary, given that these days basically everyone wants to kill them......................................

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dopliss View Post
    Excuse me, but how is Wonder Man a Superman clone?
    Super-strong, flight-capable, and generally resistant to things like conventional firearms, along with possible energy beam projectiles. The basic "Superman" power-set.

That aside, I'd say, for an unpopular/uncommon/controversial opinion, that Brian Bendis isn't that bad a writer, but he does best in the arena of gritty, street-oriented crime noir fiction. It's why his Daredevil and Alias were as good as they were; he used characters that were already street-level heroes (or conceived as street-level heroes) as protagonists and central figures for the kind of stories that he was more familiar with, and it largely worked. What didn't work for his skill-set was trying to take on stories and characters that should be larger than life and epic in scope, like the Avengers and more recently the Guardians of the Galaxy and the X-Men, hence the mixed reactions to his runs on all of those series.

I will concede that Peter Parker is currently the least interesting Spider-Person in the Marvel Universe(s), but also say that the blame largely lies with Marvel wanting to turn the clock back on his character and actively reject any progress, advancement, or growth he achieved over his decades of existence. Even more so, Marvel is bent on keeping him trapped in a very narrow and limiting status quo as the constant underdog (which, given his talents and resources, sounds more like underachiever in practice) of the setting, a status quo that has long since become stale and tired for a lot of readers and fans. That is what has made Peter Parker the blandest and least interesting of Marvel's Spider-Heroes, that Marvel itself can't see past its tired and outdated ideas of what he is, what he represents, and what he should be or represent.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member

Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) has always been more interesting than Spider-Man (Peter Parker).

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    What about War Machine, Spectrum, Blue Marvel, Patriot, Marcus Johnson, Sun Girl, Cipher