Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    Hold on a minute playa! - Teddy Long

Official solicits

No evidence of a mini?
    It said 1 of 5 in CBR's news release, unlese it was a typo on their part.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Well then, I think after the Outlawed event, I'm done with Marvel floppies.

Yeah, this really doesn't feel like a storyline that can satisfactorily conclude in five issues without rushing things a little. I doubt it was supposed to end in five issues.

I agree, I'm sure it was meant to last at least a year originally (12 issues). Certainly books like Power Pack weren't meant to still be running when Champions finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    It said 1 of 5 in CBR's news release, unlese it was a typo on their part.
    Yup. Exactly the same on AIPT as well.
    https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-so...-october-2020/
    https://aiptcomics.com/2020/07/23/oc...solicitations/
    CHAMPIONS #1 (Of 5)
    EVE L. EWING (W) • SIMONE DI MEO (A) • Cover by TONI INFANTE
    VARIANT COVER BY PASQUAL FERRY - FEB200807
    VARIANT COVER BY SIMONE DI MEO - FEB200808
    MARVEL ZOMBIES VARIANT COVER BY Kaare Andrews - FEB200809
    VARIANT COVER BY RON LIM
    VARIANT COVER BY PEACH MOMOKO
    THE CHAMPIONS RETURN IN TROUBLED TIMES!
    A law is passed that goes against everything Ms. Marvel, Nova and Spider–Man founded the Champions for…But the world still needs heroes, even if the world doesn’t want them right now.
    After Ms. Marvel makes an unexpected and emotional announcement that her team won’t go down without a fight, a group of teen vigilantes gathers to plan their next move. But the C.R.A.D.L.E. task force is hot on their trail, and there’s a spy in their midst…
    Eve L. Ewing (IRONHEART, OUTLAWED) and Simone Di Meo (IMMORTAL HULK: THE BEST DEFENSE and VENOM: ACTS OF EVIL) team up for a dramatic new era of Champions that will define Marvel’s teen heroes for years to come!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Order using FEB200806
    It's not showing up on Previews World yet, but I'm sure when it does it'll confirm it.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-23-2020 at 08:39 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

It's a bit of a bummer, but I'd rather have an ongoing turn into a mini than just have the ongoing cancelled at issue Five. At least you know what you're getting into, anything beyond a fifth issue is a pleasant surprise.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    It's a bit of a bummer, but I'd rather have an ongoing turn into a mini than just have the ongoing cancelled at issue Five. At least you know what you're getting into, anything beyond a fifth issue is a pleasant surprise.
    I feel like an ongoing would have at least gotten 12 issues, so I can't help but see Marvel as cutting it short, but I guess I'm not surprised either.

The solicit says New Era. If the book ends in February, it's not that. This is effectively a cancellation.

I've found Eve's tweet promoting the book, and responded to point out it's now a mini. Let's see if she says anything about that.
    https://twitter.com/Digifiend84/stat...29218989776897
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I said this in Kamala Khan's appreciation post, and Ill repeat those word here as well...

Honestly this could just be a move to gauge how much interest is still in the series.

Remember how some Marvel titles switched from physical releases to digital only, and then back to physical later on like, Ghost-Spider? Wouldn't surprise me that if there is enough support for the series then the mini goes back to being an ongoing. I was going to buy all the issues, variant's, and TPB anyway so we'll just have to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    I said this in Kamala Khan's appreciation post, and Ill repeat those word here as well...

Honestly this could just be a move to gauge how much interest is still in the series.

Remember how some Marvel titles switched from physical releases to digital only, and then back to physical later on like, Ghost-Spider? Wouldn't surprise me that if there is enough support for the series then the mini goes back to being an ongoing. I was going to buy all the issues, variant's, and TPB anyway so we'll just have to see.
    I hope so but it didn't happen for Ant-Man and Hawkeye like it did for Amazing MJ so who knows.

I think Marvel cutting it back to a mini in the first place is a sign they don't have much confidence in it compared to when it was originally marketed as a new relaunch/ongoing. Just giving it five issues also seems like they're cutting the storyline back.

I'm still going to be supporting the Outlawed books though.

Riri's got another book coming: Marvel Action Chillers. Four issues in which Ironheart and Doctor Strange team up.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/idw-...-from-october/

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I'm not surprised about the book being a mini. It's exactly what I predicted, specially after the rumor about Children Of The Atom being turned into a mini too (which I'm willing to bet it's true now). Notice how they also removed the Outlawed logo from the Spider-Man and Ms. Marvel tie-in covers... it definitely feels like Outlawed didn't take off as much as they planned, so now they're silently pushing it to the sidelines.

I just feel bad for Eve, because she is an excellent writer and deserves to be in an ongoing again. I hope they consider her for the next Black Panther writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm really curious how much this messes with or alters Eve Ewing's plan because...this just does not feel like a story that you could satisfactorily resolve within five issues.
    Well, Power Pack and New Warriors were both always supposed to be 5-issue series... so I guess it's possible they established 5 issues as the essential arc for each book, and anything other than that would be a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Yeah, I feel the same. I prefer for them to be upfront about this if they don't have much faith in the book as an ongoing, so everybody, including the creative team, already has an ending in mind. Getting your hopes up for an ongoing only to see it getting cancelled is worse. *cries in Future Foundation*

I'm not sure if this is the best comparison, because none of the books that went digital and then got print were renewed for new arcs. As a matter of fact, it seems like all of those books went digital precisely because they were already being finished or cancelled, and Marvel just wanted to get rid of them as quick as they could because they thought they wouldn't be able to print them. So it wasn't really about finding a new audience...

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    I hope so but it didn't happen for Ant-Man and Hawkeye like it did for Amazing MJ so who knows.
    Ironically, Amazing MJ got another arc only to go missing from solicits and now we have no idea if the book will be finished, since now we know Marvel is willing to cancel books mid-arc (it's what they did to Scream, which got canned just one issue into a new arc).

Ultimate Member

Meanwhile the still not up to date subscriptions still list the book as 12 issues.

Has New Warriors slated for August 5th. Which can't be right since FOC has already passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I'm not surprised about the book being a mini. It's exactly what I predicted, specially after the rumor about Children Of The Atom being turned into a mini too (which I'm willing to bet it's true now). Notice how they also removed the Outlawed logo from the Spider-Man and Ms. Marvel tie-in covers... it definitely feels like Outlawed didn't take off as much as they planned, so now they're silently pushing it to the sidelines.
    I think it was a mix of the one-shot not selling well, the virus delaying things, and maybe current events that caused them to re-work and cut the event down.
    I just feel bad for Eve, because she is an excellent writer and deserves to be in an ongoing again. I hope they consider her for the next Black Panther writer.
    I also feel bad for the Champions. This is yet another potential failed relaunch for the group.
    Well, Power Pack and New Warriors were both always supposed to be 5-issue series... so I guess it's possible they established 5 issues as the essential arc for each book, and anything other than that would be a bonus.
    My issue is I'm not sure if they can satisfactorily end this storyline within five issues. Maybe if every title was leading into a grand finale but that doesn't seem to be how they're approaching this. I'm not sure if that's what Eve was planning for either.
    Ironically, Amazing MJ got another arc only to go missing from solicits and now we have no idea if the book will be finished, since now we know Marvel is willing to cancel books mid-arc (it's what they did to Scream, which got canned just one issue into a new arc).
    I think the cover artist confirmed it was canceled when he started selling sketches of the proposed cover of the last issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it was a mix of the one-shot not selling well, the virus delaying things, and maybe current events that caused them to re-work and cut the event down.
    I think you're probably right. The one-shot direct market sales were far too low. What you'd expect from issue 3, not issue 1, of an ongoing (and it was effectively Champions #0). The virus certainly caused a review of the plans, and then that whole business happened with the cops, which sounds way too much like what CRADLE are doing. It's fair to say that Outlawed is a bust.