Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Silver Age Hawkman (Katar Hol) Appreciation 2022

This is an appreciation thread for Katar Hol/Carter Hall of the planet Thanagar.

(Yes, his wife Shayera/Shiera aka Hawkwoman is included in this thread too.)
    Last edited by Rod G; 01-14-2022 at 02:30 AM.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Our Thanagarian hero really has not recieved the deserved love in quite a whaile.

Peace

Incredible Member

Hawkman.jpg

Not gonna lie; I've always preferred "Thanagarian Space Cop" Hawkman over "Reincarnated Archelogist" Hawkman. Thanagar is up there with Rann, Colu and Tamaran as far as DC's most underrated worlds go (they need more history and lore given to them the way Krypton and Oa have).

Same. I like the reincarnation version but I always loved the visual of the Thanagarian Hawkman and the space fantasy setting they occupy.

Thirded!

Peace

I miss him a lot and thoroughly dislike the combination of the Golden/Silver Age versions. He's just gone now.

Happy New Year to Katar Hol and his fans .

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I miss him a lot and thoroughly dislike the combination of the Golden/Silver Age versions. He's just gone now.
    Unfortunately, he's been gone for over thirty years now as a result of the Hawkworld series and DC's crazy decision to have that take place in DC's then "present" (basically trying to ignore/rewrite the Silver Age Hawkman and Hawkwoman stories that took place after CoIE and before Hawkworld).

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Unfortunately, he's been gone for over thirty years now as a result of the Hawkworld series and DC's crazy decision to have that take place in DC's then "present" (basically trying to ignore/rewrite the Silver Age Hawkman and Hawkwoman stories that took place after CoIE and before Hawkworld).
    That decision was really stupid, however Hawkworld is still one of the best, if not the best, Hawkman stories ever. And I'm also talking about the Ostrander series. Not taking into accout the editorial decisions, it was awsome. For me, those are the definite versions of Katar and Shiera.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    That decision was really stupid, however Hawkworld is still one of the best, if not the best, Hawkman stories ever. And I'm also talking about the Ostrander series. Not taking into accout the editorial decisions, it was awsome. For me, those are the definite versions of Katar and Shiera.
    Oh, I'm not saying the Hawkworld series wasn't good / wasn't interesting. It was how DC handled where / how it fit in that spelled the end to the Silver Age version of the Hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I very much agree.

I agree with this, too.

Bad thing about reading back issues - there are quite a few characters I prefer the older versions of to the present versions. Even some of the ones that I definitely agree would have needed to change as times changed, I think didn't need to change the in the same way that they changed.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 01-07-2022 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    . . . Bad thing about reading back issues - there are quite a few characters I prefer the older versions of to the present versions. Even some of the ones that I definitely agree would have needed to change as times changed, I think didn't need to change the in the same way that they changed.
    It is/was just so frustrating with Silver Age Hawkman because if DC had just let the Hawkworld three-issue series by Timothy Truman take place in Katar Hol's past when it was first published, they could have still worked some of Silver Age Hawkman's stories into the character rather than trying to explain the post-CoIE stuff away by pretending it happened with Golden Age Hawkman and Hawkgirl.

And from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. X (December 1985),

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. X (December 1985),

Joe Kubert is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Joe Kubert is amazing.
    One of the greats for sure .