• Something Else

4 30.77%
  • Don’t know

2 15.38%
  • Don’t care

4 30.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Is Dazzler the 11th External or did she get her immortality from Longshot?

There are supposedly 10 Externals in Marvel 616 , each representing a piece of the “immortal puzzle”:

Selene - Corruption

Apocalypse - Survival

Saul - Wisdom

Nicodemus - Endurance (btw, I think he may be Jewish , considering his Biblical name , his backstory involving supposedly centuries of suffering , and the fact that he looks like an aged Magneto )

Crule - Ferocity (btw, I think he’s either Persian or Indian for some reason , he is the same color as Indra and his design and he’s having apparently worked in a Nazi deathcamp during World War 2, brings to mind his being possibly Ancient Indians or Persians, who were supposedly Aryans)

Candra - Guile

Burke - Fortitude

Gideon - Ambition

Absolom - Despair

Cannonball - Hope

What if Dazzler represented a new trait , which writer/concept originator Fabian Nicieza didn’t think of way back in 1994 , and which is now most relevant in the 21st Century AD , which is Fame/Celebrity/Notoriety/Popularity?

Either that, or Longshot’s canon immortality (from being the perpetually Fallen-and-Risen-One of the Mojoverse —- which is a pocket dimension based on the Rules of Network TV) infected Alison when she was impregnated with Shatterstar (in his original body, before he bodyswapped with his biological grandfather Benjamin Russell — who happened to be genetically identical to him because Throwback Genetics —- in a Marvel-Style closed-loop time paradox)

Alison is NOT immortal. In A-Force, she had the M-pox, and met an alternate reality version of herself, who despite being Thor, also contracted the M-pox and died. Our Alison was presumably cured of the M-pox off panel after IVX, but it definitely would've killed her had the terrigen cloud not been destroyed.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Well, maybe some have forgotten, but she died multiple times in New Excalibur series. Already a long time ago now. But we were never given any answers to how or what. it was of the big mysteries in that series. But it did not get resolved. But it seemed she was somehow immortal indeed.

But, as many times with Marvel, of all those who used Dazzler afterwards, none came back to that. Just like it had never happened.

Now that External thing you raised. It might be a nice idea. But as I think, no writer will follow up on that story.

By the way: Last we heard is that Cannonball was not an External after all.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-James View Post
    Well, maybe some have forgotten, but she died multiple times in New Excalibur series. Already a long time ago now. But we were never given any answers to how or what. it was of the big mysteries in that series. But it did not get resolved. But it seemed she was somehow immortal indeed.

But, as many times with Marvel, of all those who used Dazzler afterwards, none came back to that. Just like it had never happened.

Now that External thing you raised. It might be a nice idea. But as I think, no writer will follow up on that story.

By the way: Last we heard is that Cannonball was not an External after all.
    Ah, that was Loeb, but Kyle & Yost supported the External theory , and Brissom had Cable weakly deny it while at the same time having Gideon strongly imply it hehehe

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Alison is NOT immortal. In A-Force, she had the M-pox, and met an alternate reality version of herself, who despite being Thor, also contracted the M-pox and died. Our Alison was presumably cured of the M-pox off panel after IVX, but it definitely would've killed her had the terrigen cloud not been destroyed.
    And in Brisson’s Cable run, he revealed that Externals eventually resurrect , even if they die from the Legacy Virus (Burke) hehehe

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDC001 View Post
    Either that, or Longshot’s canon immortality (from being the perpetually Fallen-and-Risen-One of the Mojoverse —- which is a pocket dimension based on the Rules of Network TV) infected Alison when she was impregnated with Shatterstar (in his original body, before he bodyswapped with his biological grandfather Benjamin Russell — who happened to be genetically identical to him because Throwback Genetics —- in a Marvel-Style closed-loop time paradox)
    Why are you assuming that Longshot is immortal? And why are you assuming that this is canon?

I'm asking without acrimony, believe me, for this is a question I've been wondering for some time. Longshot is a creature built thanks to improved bioengineering, and created to be a slave the most resistant and durable the better --he's an appliance for the Spineless, so they wanted to not replace him too soon (unless planned obsolescence works as well in the Wildways). Thus, it has sense he's kind of 'immortal' in a certain way --that is, he was created as an adult who doesn't grow old. Actually, there is a fanfic by Tazirai in which this is implied.

But...canon? I don't recall any issue in which this matter has been expressly adressed.

Dazzler - Claremontian

I thought it could be something like, as long as there's sound she can survive/recover lol. She could still get decapitated, burnt to dead, etc though.

BANNED

Ali became an aspect of Death. She’s immortal as a result but her soul also belongs to Death and at some point she’ll be doing Death’s work.

She and Dani should have a chat, lol.

I thought it was after the 616’s journey in the siege perilous, that when this 616 dies a Dazzler from another reality takes her place and then this one is revived. But again, it has never actually been addressed and seems like something that would be discussed at length in panel but it was always brushed aside as an open mystery that no one bothered to look into. It’s still awesome.

BANNED

You all should look up John Kowalski if you want to know more about Ali’s status and likely fate.

Dazzler can be Selene's polar opposite - Innocence/Naivete and Truth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Dazzler can be Selene's polar opposite - Innocence/Naivete and Truth
    It would have been interesting in some sort of AU if Dazzler seemed to start in the same place, creating dazzling lightshows during concerts, only for it to be revealed that she wasn't 'transducing' sound into light, but the enthusiasm and joy and emotional energy of the crowd. The more excited and energetic the crowd is (and yes, coincidentally, the louder they are cheering), the more energy she's got to put on her lightshows. As a hero, she'd be most effective in situations where there are tons of bystanders and civilians present, or where there are people with potent feelings that she can tap to charge up her lasers. (To the extreme of perhaps even being able to shut down the Hulk by draining his anger and rage and firing it off as a super-laser, the way that 616 Alison can create super-lasers after being charged up by sonic effects from people like Black Bolt.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JDC001 View Post
    There are supposedly 10 Externals in Marvel 616 , each representing a piece of the “immortal puzzle”...

... What if Dazzler represented a new trait , which writer/concept originator Fabian Nicieza didn’t think of way back in 1994 , and which is now most relevant in the 21st Century AD , which is Fame/Celebrity/Notoriety/Popularity?...
    REALLY interesting concept, JDC, thanX for posting it!

Quote Originally Posted by Muffinman View Post
    I thought it was after the 616’s journey in the siege perilous, that when this 616 dies a Dazzler from another reality takes her place and then this one is revived. ...
    This is the supposed "official" eXplanation I've heard given, though I thought it was said to have been eXplored/confirmed in her X-Treme run. But I can't recall, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I thought it could be something like, as long as there's sound she can survive/recover lol. She could still get decapitated, burnt to dead, etc though.
    This is the eXplanation I think makes the most sense, which we ended up discussing in the thread about her one-shot, X-Song announcement, I think. It seems the most logical, simple, & self-eXplanatory, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Alison is NOT immortal. In A-Force, she had the M-pox, and met an alternate reality version of herself, who despite being Thor, also contracted the M-pox and died. ...
    Only after she was made unworthy by a spell, and her powers were taken away. This lends itself to the idea that it's Alison's own Mutant sound/light powers, that her perceived healing & resurrection abilities are derived from.

BANNED

Ah yes, found it, almost from a year ago now: http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?98524-Dazzler-43-one-shot-Legacy/page2

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    My theory is, it's her powers. As long as there's ambient sound around, the cells of her body absorb it, convert it to light energy... and BOOM, she's back! That's why it takes a lil' while, and is not immediate, 'cause there's an indirect process involved to mitigate any damage. She doesn't heal in the same way Wolverine & co. do. Lingering residual light energy left, after death, might also play a part in... jump-startin' her heart, too, to keep the ‎O2 flowin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffinman View Post
    ... -Her immortality through her siege perilous counterparts taking her deaths...
    Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    ... I wonder, how do Dazz fans truly feel about that being the X-planation, yay, nay, miXed, or indifferent?... Strikes me as overly complicated TBH, and... unnecessarily convoluted as a result.
    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Keep it simple. Light and sound are forms of energy which cannot be destroyed. They are just mutable like Ali's life journey.